Nurse/Build

Started by jwv, July 28, 2006, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwv

I have a question and a comment:

1. Building gives me a creative outlet that I don't get from nursing; I get to use my right brain.  Over the years, I think nursing has moved more and more into a completely left brain activity. I'm a big proponent of evidence based practice but I think in doing so we have squelched the art as in "the art and science of nursing".

2. I've looked at various ways to work and have ample time off.  However, that nasty insurance always rears its ugly head (can we please just move to a single payor system already?!)  My dream would be to work for 3 months, take 3 months off, work 3 months etc.  What's your dream job?

Judy

Homesick_Gypsy

Writing and / or photography.  Mostly because I love it, but also because I can live anywhere and do it.  

MIEDRN

After reading your comment Judy, I started thinking of the hobbies that have kept me busy the past few years. Photography, beading, writing, web page design all have played a part in my life. I realized they are all creative pursuits.

I think I'm close to being one of the statistics in nursing. Before I started traveling, I thought the problems were local. Now I have a much broader sense of our health care system and I'm very disheartened with what I see. The goal of building my home has rekindled an energy but unfortunately not the love of nursing that I once had.

I've given some thought to another career for the future that would incorporate some aspects of the medical field and have considered medical transcription, competitive intelligence for the pharm industry, medical sales to name a few but then I think.......nah, just get out of it entirely.

Nurses joke about Walmart but to be honest, after I get my house built, I've thought about working in a jewelry store or maybe in upscale retail. That way people may yell but at least I won't have a life in my hands while they're doing it..........I would have a diamond! :)

Glen if you check out this thread, I worked at St. Agnes ED last winter. (Wish I could see the messages in the forum - then I could remember your wife's name!)

jwv

Ahhh MIED, we must talk!  I too have looked and looked and looked-I now have an eBay business which I love doing and like you, have had various arts and crafts interests thru the years.  I'm trying to develop those into "multiple streams of income" so nursing can be only a part of my life.  There's still that insurance to consider-I have teenagers at home.

Judy

MIEDRN

Another thing....I just read yesterday that a physician and two nurses from New Orleans were indicted for murder for their acts during Katrina. I was livid.

Only someone in the medical field could understand how difficult that situation must have been for them and I'm afraid for all of them. Discussions go on in health care regularly about euthanasia (maybe I should say debates) and as a group, comments are made that may be taken out of context.

Just another reminder why I want out.

Amanda_931

Maybe the grand jury should have indicted half the FEMA staff while they were at it.

glenn-k

Agreed, Amanda - and Boy George as he did his flyby.

MIEDRN, her name is Kathy.  She's been at the VA for years.  I did parts of a few operating room remodels at St. Agonies Agnes  --Installed steel structures for hanging new operating lights and equipment and also some columns near part of the new expansion.  Kathy and I flew, and flew with several Doctors and nurses from there to Mexico many times.  One of my favorites was an old German doctor, Fritz Wenthe (dec.) Great old fellow.

As a side note -- I was first aquainted with nursing as a baby. :-/

jwv

QuoteAs a side note -- I was first aquainted with nursing as a baby.

:P accompanied by a very loud Grooaannnn!

but, Breastmilk is better than any udder milk

Judy

ed. to add:  Homesick Gypsy, You're a Nurse also?  Our buidling ranks are growing-we could go to Mexico and start a clinic.

jwv

QuoteAnother thing....I just read yesterday that a physician and two nurses from New Orleans were indicted for murder for their acts during Katrina. I was livid.

Only someone in the medical field could understand how difficult that situation must have been for them and I'm afraid for all of them. Discussions go on in health care regularly about euthanasia (maybe I should say debates) and as a group, comments are made that may be taken out of context.

Just another reminder why I want out.

Your words have so much truth-I just told a friend this week that we will never know what really happened.  I'm sure many in that hospital thought they would never get out, staff included.  And Amanda you're right, those most responsible for the most deaths will not be held accountable.

Judy

MIEDRN

Here is a discussion on all nurses forum: http://allnurses.com/forums/f195/hospital-staff-charged-killing-patients-after-katrina-168570-2.html

One of the concerns I have is that the jury will not understand triage during a disaster. Look at the public response now! Will this change the way we triage? Do we have to worry about this? I think so.

Of course we feel compassion for "the DNR"'s and what are we suppose to do? Let them suffer?

I once turned off a morphine drip for someone that was dying. The physician helped death along and it was accepted in the community....I was on a travel assignment. He was livid and called me. I told him if he wanted it on, he could come in and administer it. Needless to say, he didn't. (Pt 90 years old, had been unconscious for over 10 hours and received 120mg of morphine during that time. I turned it off after I received report for the shift. Pt was clearly not suffering.) I'm telling you this so that you know that I'm not a proponent of euthanasia.

There is a fine line sometimes between administering enough to lessen the suffering without decreasing their respirations enough to cause death.

I'm not sure what I would have done because I wasn't there but I will tell you that I wouldn't allow them to suffer. I also would not give enough to cause their death.

Another question: What if there was no way to lessen their suffering without giving enough to cease respirations? We've seen cancer patients suffer. Just some thoughts put out there.

Sassy

Glenn, you are incorrigable!   :-*

Hi - gotta get into this conversation!  I've been at work or at our other place & haven't really had access to the internet.

I agree with the comments re Katrina & also about easing patients pain.  I would think that those nurses & doctors were doing the best they could under the circumstances, were probably dealing with some really sick & compromised patients with limited resources.  What I think has happened is a bunch of attorneys contacted family members questioning them about the care of their loved ones, maybe suggesting that proper care was not given & there could be BIG money involved for the family... no offence meant to "attorneys"  :-/
but... odd that it's taken a year for all this to come about.  

I, too, see a lot of problems with our health care system - I'm a little leary of socializing it with the "Brave New World/Animal Farm" mindset & Big Brother looking over everyone's shoulder.   I also work in an ER - for the Federal Gov't no less in a Veterans' Hospital.  Now that I am working parttime, I still enjoy nursing & find it is always interesting.  I was getting burned out working fulltime.  There is a lot of politics, but I'm sure that goes on anywhere.  I've worked in ICU, clinics, diabetes education, now ER.  

I would still choose to be a nurse over the other jobs I've had (banking x 10 yrs, retail sales, checker, packing shed, helping on gilnetter (fishing boat) salmon fishing, nurse's aide, newspaper reporter/editor/photographer - I did like that job a lot; organist in church...).

I enjoy helping with building our cabin, remodeling our other place, learning about building, gardening, interior decorating, sewing, seeing the grandchildren.  I'm working on a blog but at somewhat of a standstill because I need to get older pics scanned & into the computer so that I can post them.  For some reason we can't get the printer/scanner to load into my computer.

In nursing you can go into just about any field you want - computers, education, correctional system, surgery, primary care, ICU, OB/labor & delivery, etc etc.  I know a lot of nurses are discouraged or burned out & it is too bad that the system doesn't support nursing to a greater degree as I think the nurse is the eyes & ears for the provider & is an integral part towards the healing & health of the patient.  

So there is my spiel!  :)

glenn-k

Judy

Sassy said,
QuoteGlenn, you are incorrigable!

I see a bit of a problem here.   :-/

Judy, that was almost as bad as mine, but I reserve the right to agree with your statement.  :)

jwv

Judy

I have a little button that I wear on my name tag that has that phrase!

Judy
Breastfeeding-Nature's Health Plan!

jwv

Sassy and MIEDRN,

I think all of our comments reveal the problems that nursing, and healthcare in general, have.  I know many are concerned about "the gov't" getting MORE involved in healthcare but what we have to realize is that someday we (workingclass wageslaves)won't be able to afford healthcare when our workplaces quit paying for it.  And that will happen-benefits are now decreasing every year.

Aside from the recent VA laptop/info debacle (and lets face it, that could happen anywhere)-the VA has by most reports an excellent healthcare system.  The VA system IS a single payor system run by the government.  Sassy, how do you compare it with private sector healthcare?  It would be interesting to get an insider point of view.  I have a friend who worked for the VA here and she loved it.

And you both will identify with this. I know nurses who work ED here.  They regularly have ICU patients in monitored beds in the ER for hours (6, 8, 10) at a time. Is that any way to care for critically ill people? Will the CEO and directors get a bonus for stying in budget this year? Probably!

Best healthcare advice:  Take good care of yourself, eat right (meaning mostly portion control), exercise, know your family history and be aware of ways to ameliorate problems, stay out of the healthcare system as long as possible.  The more I see, the more I believe that if I get to 70-75, I will never see a doctor again. My mother is an RN and worked for 30yrs in hospitals, I now have been an RN for 28yrs, so I've been around healthcare for a longtime.

Judy

glenn-k

Judy, I am all for Nature's Health Plan.  Seems to be a much better choice than the outrageous rates we pay for Kaiser. :)

MIEDRN

I've done a few preliminary calculations and figured it will take me about a year and a half to have enough money to build mortgage free. I could possibly have the house built by next summer but you never know what's going to happen between now and then.

Maybe I'll work part time or take travel contracts a few times per year after the house is built. I'm undecided right now. Working in a warm climate during the winter sounds interesting too!

I wouldn't mind doing kitchen design as a career. When visiting my family, I'm tempted to redo the organization of their cupboards because it could be much more convenient for them. Of course, I don't. Don't think the DIL's would care for that! :)

There was an accident with my computer and I won't be able to visit the forum as much unless I think of an alternative. It's been nice to chat with everyone.

Take care!

Homesick_Gypsy

jwv - not a nurse now.  Was a nurse's aid when I was younger.  My mom was a nurse, my best friend is a nurse, I now work for a nurse and 3 or 4 of my very good friends are nurses.  Have thought recently about getting into another aspect of it - due to the portability of nursing skills.

I'm going to visit my sister in East Texas next week, and do some serious looking and talking about buying some land and getting a cabin built.  If I can get just one room of it built, I can live in that while I add on.  Might decide all I need is one room...   ;)

BTW - Sassy and Glenn, glad you're here.  Nice to know I'm among friends.   8-)

CREATIVE1

QuoteJudy, I am all for Nature's Health Plan.  Seems to be a much better choice than the outrageous rates we pay for Kaiser. :)

It disturbs me that with all our prescription medicines and protocols, etc., that some of the old remedies work as well or better.  White vinegar is the best disinfectant--beats Lysol according to tests I've  seen. Plain old apple cider vinegar gets rid of heartburn (which is usually caused by NOT ENOUGH HYDROCHLORIC ACID--the opposite of what we're told.  The skin absorbs 45% of what we put on it, so what does that tell you?  And don't get me started about cancer!  

I have been delving through layers of lies and inaccuracies and am AMAZED at what I've found--and put to the test.  Take off those blinders and be proactive about your health.  As one very effective seminar leader said, "you don't have a ___________ deficiency." (fill in the drug of your choice)

Sassy

Creative, you are so right.  When I take care of countless elderly people who are on at least 6-20 medications which they have to remember to take once, 2x, 3x, with food, without food etc, etc, I wouldn't be able to keep track of all that, let alone one of these who might have some dementia  or other memory problems & aren't a medical person... they are oftentimes taking medications to relieve side effects of medications which were given for other side effects caused by yet another medication.  We have a good computerized pharmaceutical program that is supposed to check interactions etc, but still...  

Our  main ER doctor is from China & he doesn't believe in taking any medications himself, he studied Chinese medicine for years, natural/herbal remedies & thinks all medications are bad, although he prescribes them for the patients... go figure.  

I've read so much on the pharmaceutical companies so don't get me started!   :-/  Medications CAN help but not the excessive use that we see now - one of the biggest rackets are all the psych meds that are available.  Some can help, I'm sure, but they are coming out with so many - in my opinion, its more for keeping the masses sedated & domesticated so they don't ask any questions or cause any problems!  

I'll stop for now  :-/

here's a couple links... FDA Poised to Change the Health of All Americans
Throw Out the Playbook, a New Plan Arrives

glenn-k

Homesick Gypsy -- We used the first section of our cabin as a studio apartment for a long time and I still use it that way when Kathy is not here.  This is 16' x 28' in this one section.  It has everything necessary for an independant small house.

Nice to see someone with an open mind and eyes, Gypsy.

On another note, Is there a nurse in the house?  I've been shot.  Seriously.

Remember Fred --- I posted his picture here somewhere.

Maybe I can find another copy of it.

Oh yeah-- here it is.

I knew you'd recognize him.

Anyway -- he shot me -- with a nail gun --- in the back---- top of my ribs on the right.  He missed a board slightly - the nail went across the room about 15 feet and stuck there.  10d screw nail.  I didn't know what happened at first then I said, "You shot me."  Fred goes -- "No way - are you kidding me?"  I reached around behind my back and pulled the nail out while it still felt good.  I think it only went in about 1/2 inch but it stuck pretty good. We agreed to keep each other out of the line of fire in the future.  He's kind of new with the nail gun.

He was so embarrassed about it I had to keep teasing him about it all day -- you know --- It's only a flesh wound -- Hand me your weapon -- etc.

The blood stopped running out after a short while.  No big deal. :)

Sassy

He got home & told me "I've been shot!"  I asked, "Where?!"  He said, "In the back" , so I looked, dried blood, he hadn't even washed it - said it bled enough.  I washed it.  

Back to pharmaceuticals & all the new diseases we seem to have lately...

Glenn got me a book recently titled Plum Island - about a research facility initially run by the USDA & military off the tip of Long Island, NY - they did a lot of research on bacteria & viruses in animals & how they could possibly transfer to people.  They also worked with probably every variety of mosquito & the hard & soft tics.  If you look at a map you will see that the research facility is close to Connecticut - just a coincidence that Lyme disease started there... oh, and West Nile had it's 1st outbreak in NY, and while we are at it, didn't Pennsylvania have an outbreak of an ebola strain???   :o :o Just reviewing a little bit of history... if you look at their official website you would think that everything has always been pristine, but you read the book...  :o  Now it is a "for profit" private facility doing the same types of research  ::) :-? And I'm sure they are taking every precaution to safeguard We The People...  ;)

Homesick_Gypsy

Sassy, I'm quite sure ALL the protections are in place for the average citizen... ;)

Any nurses reading - I'm trying to figure out a natural alternative to estrogen.  After my surgery, I do have a deficiency in that.  Everything prescription-wise I've been given has put me over the top and unbalanced everything else.  

MIEDRN

I know there is a soy alternative but I don't know the name. Some patients report that simply drinking soy milk will help.

Alternative and herbal medications is one of my weaknesses. I had information on my PDA before it died and used that regularly to look up info. Another thing I have to replace!

Perhaps someone will jump in here besides me, otherwise, I could research it for you. I'll watch the thread.

Good luck.

MIEDRN

Just found this for you Gypsy:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/inside.asp?AID=584&UID=

It's an article from Mayo Clinic and you'll find a recommendation half way down the page.

Another issue when trying to recommend something on the net is your individual circumstances. I'm not aware of other medications you are taking or the symptoms you are trying to reduce.

Hope it helps and if you need more info, let me know.

Homesick_Gypsy

Thanks for the link, I'll study it.

All I take is 10 mg Lexapro.  Vagifem tablet twice a week (rectocele).  Biggest problem is short term memory loss and brain fog.  A few warm flashes that are completely bearable.  No other real symptoms, amazingly.  Tried several different kinds/dosages of pharmaceutical estrogen - turns me into a raging lunatic.  More than normal anyway... ;D