Hook up Monitor to Laptop? Screen Crushed!

Started by MIEDRN, August 02, 2006, 08:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIEDRN

Hi!

My darling little grandchildren crushed the screen on my laptop. Don't ask! :'(

I like the bones of this laptop. No matter where I am, I can have access to the internet because it has a modem, ethernet and wireless. I bought it a year ago and it's served me well.

I can view about 2" of the screen on the left side. It boots up and windows appears to be fine as far as I can tell. I've heard that I might as well replace the whole laptop vs. replacing the screen. I'm visiting my son now and am on his.

To save money, couldn't I just hook up a monitor to it? I don't want to spend another thousand to replace it with the same features but I need it for my job! (Not in daily use, however.)

I'll be without internet for a while and I'll miss this forum. Perhaps I can locate a library but in my experience, there is usually a waiting list for use.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Amanda_931

I think that my laptop has a monitor plug (15-pin).

If true for yours (or if they're now making USB monitors) you should be able to add a LCD monitor.  Nuisance, but pretty lightweight and portable.  And, I understand, a LOT cheaper than a new laptop screen.

jwv

Ohhh, I'm so sorry,  :'(   I don't have any advice other than, replace. I got my Dell for about $500. and it does all I need (don't play games, so don't need those honkin' wireless graphics cards they try to sell you). I have an internal modem and wireless card.  I've been able to connect anywhere.  Even driving down the street in Phoenix using Mapquest because Someone forgot the map. (He don't need no stinkin' map!)

We'll miss you!

Judy
Check with your travel company to see if you get any discounts-my hospital uses all Dell so we get a discount-not much but every little bit helps.  You can also google dell coupons and see what's being offered.

MIEDRN

Laptop prices have come down in the last few years. That's something to consider. I hate to waste this one though. Maybe a LCD and use it as the desktop then later purchase a laptop. I'll also check with my company, thanks to both of you for the tips.

I leave tomorrow for suburban Detroit for the contract and have found land inexpensively near the MI/OH border. From what I understand, OH is trying to pass legislation changing septic tank requirements making them much more expensive. That leaves OH out as an option for me.

I'll be back occasionally but for the next two months, I'm going to concentrate on making money. I'll take pics of some of the projects here with me for inspiration and also have the address of the nearest library to do research.

This forum is a constant reminder of what determination, hard work and a little money will accomplish. Thanks to all of you and have many project pics posted when I return! :)

Take care!

jraabe

All reasonable sized laptops have a 15 pin VGA monitor port. You can boot the machine up and then there is usually a key sequence or dedicated key to switch between the external and LCD monitor. Mine is Fn-F4. You can set the resolution for the card output by right clicking on the desktop and clicking properties, settings. You might be able to run a higher resolution on a larger monitor than you could with the LCD. Obviously this is no longer a road machine but there is no reason it won't work fine as a desktop.

I would also consider setting up a full sized keyboard and mouse (they will run off the USB port most likely). Consider the machine a compact desktop computer.

I hate buying a new computer. Moving the data and getting all your programs and Windows installed properly and running the way you expect is a real pain. This solution eliminates that problem.

Have a good trip MIEDRN

MIEDRN

Thanks John!

I'm on an open wireless connection and am able to view the screen enough to read a few posts. Not many conveniences here at the moment but it fills my addiction for this forum  ;D and will do until I buy a monitor. Appreciate your tips.

Amanda_931

for the last few years I've been seeing monitor/TV combinations.  Some of the current ones are very nice indeed.