The Teen Tone Adults Can't Hear!

Started by Jimmy_Cason, June 13, 2006, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

I looked this up because of the new ring tone the young kids are using in the classroom now.

Most humans are born with the ability to hear frequencies from about 20 Hz (low) up to 20,000 Hz (high) but that range shrinks as we get older. A guy in England figured that meant kids can hear things adults can't - specifically, very high frequencies. He created a device that pulses an annoying tone at about 15,000 Hz with the idea that when the device is used, it will repel kids while being unnoticed by adult. Perfect for solving that youth-loitering problem you've been having in front of your shop.

I can't hear example #1 but it makes my 12 year old cringe.  
I can hear example #2

Mt hearing stops at about 1600kz
This was a lot of fun to do with my boys,
it makes them crazy when I do 1700kz  50 times in a row!

http://www.ochenk.com/entry.php?id=63

glenn-k

ailsaek

Neat.  When my daughter cranked the volume, I could hear laughing in the background on the first and nothing at all on the second, while the second one made my daughter cringe.  She now says she has a headache and she's annoyed at me.   ;D  My five-year-old hated it too.  "No beep!" he says.

Amanda_931

My high hearing has gone down over the years, but even when I was in my 30's I could hear the high tones of some jewelry store's security systems.

Not trying that, but I'd guess that the laptop's speakers aren't up to too much.

ailsaek

Just a follow-up: I ran the second tone by my husband and he can hear it (and finds it irritating) too.  My daughter says I'm just deaf.   ::)

bil2054

Lol!  They could play most anything, and it wouldn't bother me much.
I'm getting like the guy I used to work with;  our boss was sort of excitable, and would "discuss" things with us at length and high volume.  This habit never bothered my co-worker, and one day I found out why.  Our boss was in full spate, and while I was looking on, (and admiring his command of language), I saw Dick casually reach up and start turning the knob on the old fashioned hearing aid in his pocket.  He just stood there, slightly smiling and occaisionally nodding, for about three minutes worth of it. [smiley=grin.gif]

glenn-k

I'm with you, Billy Bob-- too much big machinery and rock-n-roll way too loud when I was younger.

Eventually you learn that sometimes it is handy to never change your expression, act like you didn't hear a thing and keep walking. :-/ ;D

Anjul

The second one IS irritating, even though I could barely hear it.  Kinda like kids in the house. ;)

Anjul

CREATIVE1

If you can't hear anything, try to listen again first thing in the morning.  I've noticed that radio, TV, etc. sound much louder then--maybe the ears recover somewhat overnight?