Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jochen

Jimmy, thanks for the drawing. And I would also say very close to 12/12. You mention a 47 degree angle on your drawing. So the opposite of that is 43 degrees and this is the actual roof angle. And that is very close to 12/12, 45 degrees.
Jochen

glenn-k

You know about using the framing square to get your pitch, Jimmy?

12" on each leg is a 12/12 pitch.  It refers to how far vertical to 12" horizontal.  6/12 would be 6" up to 12" horizontal.  The square can be used to lay out your cuts this way too.

Jimmy_Cason

A little more progress.
Photo Update: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmycason/sets/

glenn-k

The place is really looking great, Jimmy.  How many trips have you made up and down the scaffold?

Sassy

It's just so amazing seeing everyone's progress!  Just think how far you've gotten on your own home!   8-)  It's exciting to see what can be accomplished.  I bet John gets a real thrill out of seeing how people have been given the vision & courage through learning from each other on this forum to get past those mental blocks!  :)

Jimmy_Cason

Quote How many trips have you made up and down the scaffold?

I can promise you I've only made enough trips to get the job done.
And to pick up my stupid gravity-prone hammer.

Home Depot, Tyler Texas
Scafflod Rental.....
I had to start the rental on Saturday, May 20..
They could not promise me the scaffold would not be rented by someone else on the 26th when I wanted to start using it. (Three Day Weekend+ Friday off= 4 days of work )
The truck shows up at 2:30 Friday.
All of the safety rails outriggers, leg jacks. NO SCAFFOLD FRAMES or cross braces!!!
I call the home depot rental department and they tell me they will not be able to get a truck with the frames to me until the holiday weekend is over..
After a few phone calls I get them to deliver the frames the next day.
Saturday... THe truck shows up at 8:00am. They unload the frames, there are no cross-braces!
I had to drive 53 miles (one way) to Tyler Home depot and get the braces myself. Later that day I attempt to put the safety rails at the top of the tower and find out 5 of the large connecter pins are missing.
So later that afternoon I made a second trip to Tyler home depot.

glenn-k

Sorry I mentioned it, Jimmy --made you relive the nightmare.

How about the jackup ones that run up and down 4x4's or double 2x4's - just buy a set then you won't have to worry about it -- I think around $69 each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000224MP/qid=1148965349/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-5186366-3280720?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

These were used on a 2 1/2 story building near me.  Looked good.

peg_688

Glenn your brave  :o Jimmy's  mighty tired by now and well  hoo brother :o

The $69.00 only gets ya the jack in the lower photo , the work stands / guard rail deals are extra plus the 2x4's for the poles .

Anyway ya Jimmy ya should have asked  :-[

Better duck now Jimmy's from Texas :o :o

Jimmy_Cason

I am just happy to see the front wall almost sheathed in.
No Texas wrath coming from me...( This Week!)

How long does it take to jack one of those down from 20 feet high?

I seem to have this problem with hammer dropping.

Sassy

Jimmy, I consulted with Glenn (he's driving to Napa & wanted to know if there was anything new on CP) he said to
"place a ladder against the scaffold or wall to make it easier to climb down   to get that gravity hammer."  Also, you can just use 2x4's for the guard rail & 2x12 scaffold plank to walk on unless you want to purchase the expensive accessories  :-/ - disclaimer - if you fall off don't come running to Glenn & if you can't run, don't come crawling  :-/

BTW, Glenn says it reminds him of a joke... "what do you call a dog with no legs?  Nothing, it couldn't come anyway."   :)    ::) (the roll eyes is me)

nandajor

Roof Pitch for Dummies The hubby has tried to explain roof pitch, more than once, to me.  If I understand it :o, it refers to how many inches of rise for every 12" of horizontal, to the center or ridge.  Example:  a 4/12 roof line, rises up 4" for every 12" of horizontal distance.  Bet that confuses you! or is that exactly what Glenn already said?  Nanda

Jochen

Yes Nanda, that is exactly what Glenn said before!!  ;)
And Jimmy your house looks gorgeous to me!!
Jochen

peg_688

Ya a ladder on the staging or go in a door or window hole .

Pumpjacks used with 2"x12" x16' Doug. Fir staging planks , the "x" bracing  helps take the sway out . A 2nd set will MLT be put on as the jacks go higher.

Note ladder onsite  for when it's needed.

Hammer holder,

;)

Safeway ( pipe staging ) is a PITB to level even with the jack screw legs , tends to sink wierdly , is very hard to climb up and down , always seems to be ,"In it's own way" ,  And like you found out vital parts aways seem to be missing , rusted , bent etc .

Some times they are the only thing that will work so I'm not saying never  But it's a rare deal when they are my choice of staging.  

Jimmy_Cason

After all the hard work of setting up the scaffold, I decided not to move it until the area in front of it is complete.
So we started with the hardieboard this weekend

glenn-k

Sounds like a good plan, Jimmy.  Don't do it twice if not necessary. :)

Looking great.

Jimmy_Cason

A little bit closer...

We changed our mind about the reddish brown trim.
We will paint the trim around the door and the side corners the same color as the body of the house.
The windows and shutters will be the same green color as the metal roof and porch overhang.

An interesting note about the paint....
The color we are using seems to change during the day.
Depending on where the sun is in the sky.  
I wonder if this is because we built the house under a near total tree-canopy. The light seems to be filtered through the green leaves.

glenn-k

Really moving along , Jimmy.  It's starting to look like a complete house now. :)

Sassy

Jimmy_Cason

I added a little trim work this week.

deertracks

The shutters look great. It's starting to get that finished look outside. Is that a deck over the porch? I really want inside photos even if the rooms are unfinished. It helps me visualize 20 feet wide...it looks so small on paper. Sometimes I pull up the info on the 14x24 houses and that makes our future 20x36 seem large. Keep up the good work Jimmy.

glenn-k

Jimmy_Cason

1. Is that a deck over the porch?

2.I really want inside photos even if the rooms are unfinished. It helps me visualize 20 feet wide...it looks so small on paper.

1. That is my attempt at drawing  the front view of a sloped metal roof coving the porch. A side view would make it easier to visualize.

2. I have a few cell phone pics of the inside.
My wife is always on hand in case I need 911...
I built 6 foot walls upstairs with a cathedral ceiling.

The same area just to the right.
The boards you see in the center are supports for the catwalk,
this helps me do do all the work at the top without going up and down a  ladder.

Another view of the same area with me baking at 98 degrees for 6 hours.

Jimmy_Cason

The latest pic... I finally got to the point where I could move the scaffold.
Things seem to have come to a crawl once I got above the 12 foot mark.
We have the metal roofing on from the front to about halfway back. No ridge cap as of now so I am covering my new metal roof with a tarp. Aint that a b*tch?