clerestory "modular" design

Started by june, January 17, 2009, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

I seem to recall, but can't relocate, drawings for a simple structure that amounted to putting two shed roof modules adjacent, raising one roofline to form what looked like a clerestory.  I'm in beginning stages of drawing a preliminary, at least partial passive solar design for a small, simple house with a rectangular footprint that would go on a south facing slope.  I imagine a one bedroom living area on a slab for part of the storage mass, and a lengthwise loft at ground level on the north side lit by the clerestory windows.  Is something like that somewhere on the site?

june

Thanks!  That's it.  Not sure if it's practical to make that back part tall enough for a loft. 
June

rwanders

A steep pitch like 12/12 and 12' walls may work out for your needs----try it out on some graph paper to see how the usable floor area in the loft would come out----would also depend on the building depth obviously.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

june

Thanks!  I've been messing with Google Sketchup, and getting more and more attracted to graph paper.  I'm not accustomed to feeling that stupid.  And it's supposed to be easy! 

soomb

it is not as easy as pen and paper, but having just taken the time to watch the video serise about getting started, with a good notebook next to the computer, it helps.  I like to draw it out, but if you invest the time, Sketch up will let you have a 3d walk through for your place.  I took an entire Saturday to watch the videos and start, I feel after 2 days I was much better off.

Best of luck
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

june

You mean I have to read the instructions?!  javascript:void(0); Patience isn't my long suit, and I expected to open it up and take off.  Thanks for a polite reality check. 
June