Dissassemble and Moving of Stick Built

Started by Kellywk, November 07, 2016, 11:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kellywk

I've got an old stick built 20x24 dry cabin  (no plumbing or wiring) that's been abandoned for probably 30 years.  The sills and joists are rotted out but the wall and roof framing are all rough cut hickory which is in good shape. Originally I had planned to jack it up and replace the foundation.  But have decided that I want to add a lean to addition for another bedroom and bathroom as well as a covered front porch. 

there isn't enough room in the current location to do the additions without cutting more trees than I would like so I'm planning on disssassembling and moving it about 40 yards away where it will be put back together on a new foundation.  The site is about 300 miles from home and I'm only going to be able to get there about 1 weekend per month so I would like to make the move as quick and painless as possible. 

My thinking is to build the new foundation with subfloor and then strip the siding, wall boards and roof off the old cabin.  The studs are on 24" centers so I'm planning to divide it into about 6 foot sections that will be cut  and moved as panels.  Basically put two new studs in between the cut line, cut between the line and then move the panel and reinstall on the new foundation using new floor nailers/bottom plate, top plates and re-nailing the sections together trough the studs.

Am I missing anything or on the wrong track?

I'm not worried about salvaging the roof as the tin is pretty weather beaten and I would like better rafters (current roof looks like a slap together repair) so i'm planning to put in new rafters/roof as well as new siding.  Siding would most likely be etiher tar paper or Radiant barrier osb with rough cut board and batten siding.  I'm on the fence about the radiant barrier as this is southeast Texas.  We get a lot of humidity but very few days a year below freezing. A lot of the old houses I've been in seem more comfortable in the summer when they can breath a little instead of being completely weather tight. 

Redoverfarm

If you try to disassemble in section you will have to reassemble at another site replacing the top & bottom plates. I would just disassemble all the components that are salvageable and start over with what wood you save.  Trying to put something back together can prove more trouble than it's worth sometimes.