Freestanding Deck for Little House

Started by samiam, July 13, 2014, 07:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samiam

Hi. I have built John Raabe's Little House (very slightly modified) at 12' x 16' using the 6x6 treated post on concrete footer foundation option. We had my wife's cousin and his BIL construct the shell. 3 ea 2x6 treated lumber was bolted together for each of the 2 girders supporting the floor rather than larger dimension lumber specified due to availability issues. So far it has exceeded our expectations. We have insulated the 2x4 wall studs with R15 Roxul, using R24 Roxul between the roof rafters. We hung the vapor barrier and framed out a 5.5' x 5.5' bathroom on our last trip. Next trip will be for deck building/interior wall cladding. Door is on the 12' dimension facing down a 1:11 slope, and the deck is to parallel that wall. To preserve the technicality of a <200 sq ft  building, the deck is to be free standing. We had the shell builders put in 4 ea 6" diameter concrete footings for the deck that are on 8' (parallel to the wall) and 6' centers. I want a 10' x 12' deck (long dimension along wall) that will overhang (cantilever) 2' on each side, ~38" in "front", and ~10" in "back" (it is ~10.5" from the "back" footers to the outside wall of the house). My tentative plan is to use similar construction to the house itself: 6x6 posts on the footers, 2 or 3 ea 2x6 bolted together for girders (paralleling the 12' wall - the house girders are along the 16' dimension) with the "box" for the deck itself mounted to the girders. I'm looking for comments on the suiability of this general construction plan. I'm also looking for plans for a freestanding deck of similar construction and dimensions that I can minimally modify to my specs. We have not yet decided whether to build the deck ourselves or ask the shell builder to do so. If I'm going to farm this out I definitely need plan drawings (wouldn't hurt if I go the DIY route, either) and right now I don't have time to draw them from scratch. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

SAM