12 x 16 House

Started by Beavers, June 27, 2009, 09:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavers

Yeah the old shed does lean just a little!

The post across from the one is still plumb.  I'm bracing the other corners just like the one that I took the pic of.  The beam sitting on the piers wasn't perfectly straight, it was a little bowed.  Maybe that one end pier is getting more of the weight than the others causing it to bow?  ???

I guess I thought that with a ridge beam the rafters had to sit on top of the beam.  The double birdsmouth thing is one of the things that has been tripping me up.  On the dormer the ridge beam is only 3" so I notched the top of the rafter 1 1/2" and then made a 3 1/2" notch on the bottom...doesn't fit.  To make it fit I end up with the birdsmouth inside the top plate.  Thanks for the link to your calculator I'll check it out.

Face hanging the rafters sounds like it would solve a lot of the confusion I've had.  Have to go that route on the bigger house.  [cool]

Don_P

I doubt that load is causing the post to bow, not to mention the load right now is diddly. Posts are usually made from core wood and there are bands of fibers within that juvenile wood that often shrink lengthwise. If there is a band of duller than normal looking grain on the concave face then as it shrank lengthwise it pulled the post into a bow, just like stringing a longbow. Happens less on 6x6's than 4x's but can happen on any stick of wood.

This is a scan from "Graphic Guide to Frame Construction", John has it on the book page and it is worth putting on the bookshelf. Instead of the "frieze blocked" face mount option I've used hangers or framing angles and straps over the top for that detail. In heavy timber it goes to through bolts, I've never been there but it goes to split rings and bolts at heavier loads in heavy timber.

drainl

THanks for posting this chart Don!  Helpful in the next of our project as well!
:)

Beavers

I had help last weekend and we got all the wall sheeting up except on the gable ends.  I'm really glad I had the help, I don't think there is anyway I would of been able to hoist those sheets up on my own!

The router worked real slick for cutting out the door and window openings.  

Here is what we got done last Saturday,  I took about 8 hours...I was actually surprised at how fast it went up.

On Sunday my wife and I started with the tar paper on the walls.  We got as high as we could without the scaffolding.  I still need it inside for working on the roof framing, as soon as that is done we can move it outside and finish up with the tar paper.

I'm hoping to have the rest of the roof framing done and have the roof sheeted by next weekend.  Getting really close to dried in...can't wait!  ;D

Beavers

I spent tonight working on my timber framing skills.  I'm going to build a timber frame porch and roof on the house.  My first try at a timber frame joint turned out like crap, it was sloppy and didn't fit well at all.  

I found a project that will be very useful down the road that also gives me the chance to practice my joinery.  I'm building a set of timber frame saw horses.  A standard height saw horse is too high for comfortable use with a hand saw or chisel.  These will be much shorter, and should be a lot better to work off of, not to mention more heavy duty.

For timbers I got some cheap 6x6 PT landscaping timbers from the lumberyard.

Here is start of one of the mortises that will house one of the legs.
I hogged out most of the wood using the bit and brace.

Here is the mortise after being finished with the 2" chisel, and the tenon for one of the legs.

The chisel is a new to me 100 plus year old chisel that I got off ebay for cheap.  [cool]

The joint is still far from perfect, but it's way tighter than the last one I tried.  The sawhorses will be good practice, and I might even be able to make a half way presentable joint by the time I'm done with them.  :o

Sassy

Good progress on the house!  Those will probably be the best saw horses around  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Beavers

Beavers

It's been a while since I posted, and I haven't got much done in the meantime.

I started a new project at work and have been swamped, and working a ton of overtime.  Before I had time to build, but no money... now I have money to build, but no time.  d*

To get back on track and get this thing dried in, I hired a neighbor who is a contractor to finish up the roof for me.  Should have a roof on the place in the next week or two depending on how busy he is.  I really wanted to be able to say I built the entire house on my own, but it's almost winter and I need to get dried in quick.

I have been able to make some progress though.

Got the log siding delivered last week.  It was on sale and only ended being a couple hundred bucks more than the plywood/board and batten look I was planning on. 
I'm glad we decided to spend the extra $ I'm really happy with how it looks!  ;D

We are putting on one coat of sealant before installing the siding.  Here is the finishing crew at work.

Doors and windows installed.  The door was a $250 door I got on clearance for $99...was a discontinued model.  [cool]

The steps are just temporary until I get the porch built.

I also picked up some more scaffolding at an auction.  It's great to not have to mess around with ladders.

Got the siding up on one wall.  The company that makes the siding sells a 2 1/4" thick trim, and they only want over a dollar a foot for it!  :o  I said no thanks, and decided to use just standard 2 x.  Looks just fine IMO.

Close up of the siding after three coats of finish. 

Scored big time on Craigslist last week.  Guy just moved into his half a million dollar house and decided he didn't want the kitchenette in the basement.  Got a full set of custom made solid oak cabinets for $115!  [cool]  They will fit perfect in a 12x16 house.

Beavers

My neighbor does good work.  He finished framing the roof and got it sheeted in three days!  Would of taken me a month to get it done, and wouldn't of looked nearly as nice.  Cost me $800 in labor, but it was well worth it IMO.

I had help from my step-dad, and father in law today.  We got the rest of the tar paper on, the gable ends sheeted, and the rest of the windows in. 

Here are a couple of pics from in the loft.  It actually seems bigger inside with the sheeting on.  ???

Here we are just happy to finally be dried in.

I've got a couple of electricians stopping by this week to get bids ready.  Also found a local roofer who isn't too busy at that moment and will do the shingles for $200 labor.  I'm more than happy to spend $200 to avoid having to mess around on a steep roof over 20' in the air.  ;D

Total spent to this date... $5822.85

Redoverfarm

Looking good Beavers.  I think the dormers open up the loft area to make it larger than it actually would have been without them. Smart move.

Sassy

Great progress!  I like the siding you are using - and the dormers.   8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Bobmarlon

Framing looks awesome bro,  IT will be a shame to cover it up!

bayview

You have done a great job!  That roof looks sturdy!  I like the way the dormers look both inside and out . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Beavers

Thanks for the compliments!   ;D

Yonderosa

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

John Raabe

This is turning out to be a great little house project.

Handsome and sturdy...  :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Beavers

Thanks guys!  :)

We planned on just slapping this house together as cheaply and quickly as possible, just to have something to live in while we build the bigger house.

Along the way though, we discovered one of the major benefits of building a little house...it's small.

That means that you can afford the more expensive siding and the $4 a square foot hardwood floors.  Could I afford to put maple floors in a 2000 sq. ft. house?  No way...but in a 200 sq. ft. house I can.  ;D

Beavers

Well progress is still agonizingly slow, but we are slowly but surely getting there.  :)

The roof is now on, and the siding is done on the front and back of the house.

Here is the back of the house, still have to finish the dormer.

The front...the 2x8 is the ledger for the porch roof.

I used 1/4" birch plywood for the soffits. 

I'm just excited to be almost done with the exterior work.  We've had great weather, and I sure that it can't continue.  Just more motivation to hurry up and get the outside work done!  ;D

Redoverfarm

Looks really nice Beavers.  The porch will really make a dramatic statement when added.

MountainDon

Very very nice Beavers.  :D 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

And here I thought my house was small.  ??? Nice work you guys. Looks great!  :)

Beavers

Thanks, appreciate the compliments!  :)

I am anxious to see how much the porch changes the look of the house.  I'm planning on using timber frame construction...but I promised my wife I would wait until the rest of the house was done before starting on the porch.  ::)

lipadier

This little thing looks lovely, even without the porch.  [cool]

speedfunk

Awesome!!! You did a great job keeping it in scale .   All the dimensions balance them selfs very well.  GREAT project.  Maybe you should just live there.  Why move? 

VERY COOL!!

tinybuilder

Quote from: Beavers on October 20, 2009, 07:12:04 PM
Thanks guys!  :)

We planned on just slapping this house together as cheaply and quickly as possible, just to have something to live in while we build the bigger house.

Along the way though, we discovered one of the major benefits of building a little house...it's small.

That means that you can afford the more expensive siding and the $4 a square foot hardwood floors.  Could I afford to put maple floors in a 2000 sq. ft. house?  No way...but in a 200 sq. ft. house I can.  ;D

Your house is totally charming! I think it's the proportions of overall height, to the pitch of the roof, to the small footprint that make it so pleasing on the eyes.  My wife and I are doing exactly just the opposite of you. We built our main house first, and now are building a tiny house for my 88 year old Mom to live in.