Truss Calculators

Started by Medeek, March 12, 2013, 06:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 3.2.2 - 01.11.2023
- Enabled layer control integration with the Medeek Project extension.
- Moved the Medeek Tools module to the Medeek Project extension.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Version 3.2.3 - 02.06.2023
- Fixed an infinite loop bug for (full) roof returns on truss roofs.
- Updated the subtract feature to include roof return rafters and gutter downspouts for truss roofs.

Medeek

Version 3.2.4 - 02.09.2023
- Enabled subtractive geometry for all complex rafter roofs.
- Updated the subtract feature to include gutter downspouts for all rafter roofs.

Medeek

!!!! BUG ALERT - SKETCHUP 2023 !!!!

I've just identified an issue with the Truss plugin and the current release of SU 2023.

Many of the tools within the Truss plugin still use the UI.inputbox module for simple menus, see example below:

If you notice that this type of menu appears (not an HTML menu) then press alt-tab which will then require you to refocus on the menu with your mouse and will also allow it to function correctly.

I don't know all of the details however it appears that the backend framework has extensively changed and in the process a few focus bugs have slipped through and need to be ironed out with SU 2023.  See status and more details at the thread below:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-2023-changes-to-ui-inputbox-focus/220580

For now I would recommend staying with SU 2022 if you extensively use SketchUp combined with the Truss and Foundation plugins.  However the alt-tab work around should also keep you up and running if you have already migrated to SU 2023.

I am hoping that minor update will be forthcoming in the near future from SketchUp, which will save me from having to rewrite a significant amount of code and pull me away from the Floor plugin development.  If the bug is not fixed I will proceed to switch all remaining menus in the Truss and Foundation plugins  to HTML dialog type menus, that process could take upwards of two to three weeks.

Medeek

Version 3.2.5 - 06.17.2023
- Enabled a gable wall cut for attic trusses.
- Enabled a feature to selectively remove specific trusses from an attic truss assembly.

After making the tutorial video for the inclined walls yesterday it quickly became apparent to me that the features for dealing with attic trusses and their implementation are wholly inadequate.

The gable cut allows for one to then insert a hip wall into the opening created by the attic truss, which then further allows for windows and doors being inserted into the gable end of an attic truss.

When dormers are added to an attic truss as shown it is usually necessary to remove certain trusses that conflict with these dormers and then ladder framing is added to bridge the gap created.  The selective truss removal feature will now allow for the removal of any specific number of trusses in a attic truss assembly.  However note that it does not automatically insert any of the ladder framing for the roof or floor of the attic.

I will probably create a tutorial video explaining both of these features in more detail in the next couple of days.

Medeek

Tutorial 21: Attic Trusses (14:26 min.)

A brief overview and demo of the Gable Wall Cut option and the selective truss removal feature.

Medeek

Version 3.2.6 - 06.22.2023
- Enabled the "Edit Truss Assembly" function for all gambrel attic trusses.
- Enabled a gable wall cut for gambrel attic trusses.
- Enabled a feature to selectively remove specific trusses from gambrel attic truss assemblies.

There are still a number of advanced options that need to be completed for this truss type, namely soffit and fascia need to be added.

The ability to edit this truss type is a fairly significant upgrade.

Medeek

Version 3.2.7 - 06.26.2023
- Fixed a bug with the truss removal feature.
- Enabled a feature to selectively remove specific trusses from common and monopitch truss assemblies.

Medeek

Version 3.2.7b - 06.28.2023
- Fixed a minor bug with the truss removal feature for all truss types.

*Note:  This is a critical bug fix for common, monopitch, attic and gambrel attic trusses.

Medeek

Version 3.2.8 - 07.05.2023
- Enabled a ridge centering option for asymmetric gable rafter roofs.
- Enabled a ridge centering option for asymmetric hip rafter roofs.

I think the non-centered ridge is the more correct of the two, but if you do want the centered ridge then it is also an option.

Medeek

Tutorial 22: Asymmetric Roof Framing (8:17 min.)

Centered vs. Non-centered ridges for asymmetric rafter roofs.

Medeek

Tutorial 24: Complex Roof Discussion and Limitations (10:43 min.)

Medeek

Version 3.2.9 - 08.28.2023
Fixed a critical bug with the truss removal feature for truss sets.

!!!! CRITICAL BUG FIX !!!!
I highly recommend upgrading from versions 3.2.7 and 3.2.8.

Medeek

Version 3.2.9b - 08.28.2023 thru 08.29.2023
- Fixed a critical bug with the hip rafter roof module.

Unfortunately I never noticed this error/bug because I usually test the plugin with the advanced options turned on automatically.  If the advanced options are turned off and a hip roof is attempted and error will be thrown.  This bug fix addresses that issue.  I highly recommend upgrading to this latest version.

Medeek

Version 3.2.9c - 08.30.2023
- Fixed the non-orthogonal rafter framing bug for complex roofs.

I think I have finally resolved the confounded non-orthogonal rafter framing issue (it has been almost two years).  It turns out the fix was simply replacing a complex piece of logic with two lines of code, sometimes simple is better.

I highly recommend updating to this latest release.  I apologize that it has taken this long to rectify the issue, I was made aware of it about 18 months ago but it has taken me a while to circle back and determine the cause and then the solution.  Thank-you everyone for your patience.

P.S.
After testing non-orthogonal roofs this afternoon I realized that it would be handy to have the ability to custom offset the rafter spacing for each roof plane.  Sometimes the algorithm is not smart enough to correctly position the rafters exactly where one might want them.  I will give this some additional consideration.

Medeek

Version 3.3.0 - 08.31.2023
- Added a rafter offset parameter for complex roof framing.
- Fixed a minor bug with complex roof framing for half hip roofs set to custom pitches.

The rafter offset parameter will now allow the user to offset the rafter framing any custom amount (positive or negative) for each roof plane independently.

Medeek

Version 3.3.1 - 09.03.2023
- Added a hip, valley and flying hip rafters to the complex roof framing module.

The first thing you will notice is that the upper ends of the hip and valley rafters are not correctly trimmed, only the bottom ends.  Also flying hips are not trimmed on their upper or lower ends.  The trimming algorithm for these rafters is the next thing on my todo list.

Unlike the lower end trimming, the upper end will require a much more sophisticated algorithm so it may take some time.  The problem really is that there a number of possibilities for termination and the plugin needs to be be able to check for all of those possibilities.  No one said complex roof are easy.

Medeek

Version 3.3.1b - 09.04.2023
- Refined the framing algorithm for hip, valley and flying hip rafters.

All of the major framing members are now being drawn however the trimming of certain rafters is still not quite correct, further refinement and correction will be necessary. 

I've also noticed that with certain large roof planes an occasional stray edge is generated (or left behind when the roof primitive is created), I will need to look into this further and rectify the issue.  It does not appear to be a critical error but it does effectively split the roof plane into to separate faces which then makes the plugin treat the roof plane as two separate faces.

With the flying hips terminating adjacent to valley rafters I'm not entirely sure how that is typically framed.

Please download and test this latest release and then email me comments or suggestions directly.

Medeek

Version 3.3.1c - 09.05.2023
- Minor bug fix within the rafter framing module for complex roofs.

Medeek

Version 3.3.1d - 09.09.2023
- Fixed a bug within the global settings for complex roofs.
- Updated the straight skeleton algorithm to better remove redundant edges within roof planes/faces.
- Improved the robustness of the complex roof module (framing and cladding) for specific cases.

The complex roof module is now a bit more robust than it was and should be able to handle more cases than it did previously.

However there still does exist the special cases where the fascia line is not all on one level that is still not possible to draw.  The discussion on that topic is presented in this video:

https://youtu.be/Oen8SYI_2PA

Hip and Ridge is still pending.  Previously I was unable to fully work out the algorithm in order to deal specifically with flying hips.  I will need to give this another hard look and see if my topological problem solving skills have improved since 2021.

Medeek

Version 3.3.2 - 09.17.2023
- Added statistics for complex roofs (Medeek Estimator integration).

Medeek

Tutorial 25: Estimating Complex Roofs (13:13 min.)

Medeek

Version 3.3.3 - 09.22.2023
- Improved the responsiveness of the "Edit Roof Plane" tool and the "Move Roof Edge" tool for complex roofs.

Previously when a complex roof was positioned on top of any wall assemblies and either of the two tools mentioned above were executed there existed the possibility of collinear edges with the roof assembly and the wall assemblies below.  This conflict would then not allow one to properly select the desired roof edge unless the wall assemblies were hidden, or put on a hidden tag/layer.  This fix should mitigate that problem and allow one to select a roof edge (on the roof outline) without having to take that additional step.

I highly recommend upgrading to this latest version if you are using complex roofs.

Medeek

Version 3.3.4 - 10.01.2023
- Added a "Complex Roof" tab to the Global Settings.
- Added a "Roof Framing" and "Advanced Options" parameter to the Complex Roof tab of the Global Settings.
- Added a "Primitive" option to the roof framing parameter within the Draw and Edit menus for complex roofs.
- Enabled the Up Arrow key as a method to toggle between "face" or "polygon" mode within the complex roof draw tool.

Tutorial 26: Complex Roof Primitives (6:42 min.)

Medeek

Version 3.3.4b - 10.02.2023
- Added a "Draw Mode" parameter to the Complex Roof tab of the Global Settings.
- Enabled a vertex (roof plane) selection method within the face selection algorithm of the Draw tool for complex roofs.

Tutorial 27: Drawing Complex Roofs (6:01 min.)