Youngins' Playhouse

Started by youngins, March 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Quote1. Roof sealer - all what I had on hand.  ::)

2. Yeah - think I should have my own local cable acesss show - call it "Building with Chris"

#1:  Well the kids will track that tar around every time it's warm , humm Texas, should be fine if you have black carpet in the house and lots of paint thinner. ::)

#2: Ya it'd make a great  sitcom.  ;D

glenn-k

It's called "Tanglefoot", PEG.  In case illegal aliens try to sneak across through your playhouse at night, their bare feet become stuck in it, and they must remain there until Chris can call the proper authorities.  

Note: Chris -- be prepared for an extended wait --- the tax dollars you spend are often misappropriated and service will not be what you think it should.  I suggest you become proficient in the cooking of refried beans as if you allow them to starve to death while stuck there, I am pretty sure the free legal aid will kick in for them and you will be subject to lawsuit.

youngins

youngins

Wall Framing

Waiting for a decent break in weather to get started....

glenn-k

I think you are stalling, Chris.  Everyone knows we get 8 months of summer with no rain.  OK - so that is how it is here.  What do you want all that rain for anyway? :-?

glenn-k

Hey Chris -- Good idea on the tar in the cracks  :)--- maybe your insulation will stay dry.  Catch any aliens? :-?

youngins

Wall Framing - North Wall

Well, after a months hiatus, got back to the playhouse.

We bought a 36x36 double paned window. Since a custom door was going to run $280, I got a 30x80 wood door slab from HD for $39. The jamb kit cost $34 dollars. My step dad agreed to rip it down to 24x60. He eill then set it in the jamb for us - so for about $80 we will have a kid-sized door.

Made the following cuts:
top and bottom plates to 144"
10 wall studs to 71 1/2"
4 Trimmer studs to 62"
4 cripple studs to 24"
1 sill to 36 1/2"

Made two double 2x6 headers:
39 1/2" for the window
26 1/2" for the door

The trick which has helped make sure even I to make straight cuts with the circular saw is to use the speed square to keep it straight/steady:

glenn-k

Ahhhh - I feel so much better now -- he's getting after it. :)  Good Job, Chris.

hobbiest

I like your signature line Chris.  Reminds me of a quote which hangs upon our wall,

"To laugh often, to win the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.  This is to have succeeded!"-Ralph Waldo Emerson.

My wifes aunt sent a plaque with this on it to me, and said that this is what she thinks of me.  Just about made cry when I read the quote.

Out of all the things we do in our lives, parenting is the most important, and there is no room for failure.  Good job for your girls there Youngin.

youngins

Thanks - I saw that quote online and thought of how true it is.

They had fun yesterday watching me - and I always have a blast watching them:

youngins

Wall Framing-North Wall

Got everything put together - only problem is when I went to measure the diagnoals, one was 1 inch shorter than the other  :'( :

MountainDon

Chris, when you stand the wall up you should find that a slight "crank" is all that's needed to make it all work out and have the ends of the wall plumb. Assuming the floor is level, the lumber all correct lengths, etc. Looking good!

glenn-k

What Don said, and if it bothers you in the meantime just bang it around with a big hammer.

It'll still move back and forth pretty easily then when up put the big level on it and knock it or push it plumb then nail on temporary braces to hold it in place.

peg_688

Or you could snap a line 3 1/2" in from your box sill , then line up your wall plate on that line and flush with each end .  and tack the wall down (toenail ) thru 2x4 plate into sub floor , next rack the wall to line up with your box sill,  the sides, if your platform is square and all your studs are the same lenght your wall should be sqr. , check it diagonally again , if it's still not sqr. make it so that it is .  Then tack one toe nail thru the end grain of the top plate , do not sink these two nails you''ll be removing them as soon as your wall is sheeted.

Next apply your sheathing / OSB / plywood / T1-11 what ever your using , once sheathed tip up the wall it will pivot on those toe nails ( not slide off the platform )  , again your plwood should be sqr so if you line it up flush with the sub - top plate and down the side of the outer stud  that will  confirm the wall is sqr.

Once you tip up the now plumb , if it's sqr. it's plumb , unless your floor platform is really out of level, a square  wall  on a level floor will = a plumb wall. Brace accordingly with at least a 1x4 on each corner. on  a larger wall/ building use a 2x4 for the temp brace.

The cut out your door hole , the window hole you could cut out after nailing but before tipping up the wall.

MTL this is all TMI  ::)

I'd guess 75 or80% of all walls I stand are sheeted.

G/L PEG    

peg_688

Doesn't appear that you have corner backing in either of the two corners fr nailing off the opposing walls and or interior finish such as dry wall or paneling. Whats your plan there stud?  ;D

Alos looks like on photo two right hand end you've either kicked a stud out , or put it on the far side of layout :-/

youngins

I plan to insert the blocking for the 3 stud corner - waiting till I acquire a bit more scrap pieces of 2x4 first (I am trying to do this utilizing as much of the materials as possible).

As far as the gap - you may be right.  Might just be one of those  moments.

youngins

The gap at the end is 17" - which I am not going to sweat right now.

Wendy helped me raise the wall this morning:

glenn-k

Cool Chris -- looks just like a mini-version of PEG's.  Soon you will start to look and talk like him- he's been teaching you so much.  You are probably his number 1 student.

youngins

fishing_guy

The playhouse is looking wonderful...looks like the weather is cooperating also.  Great job!

youngins

Thanks - I tried to work on it yesterday but now it is just getting too hot to work in the afternoons.  The heat really got to me and I had to quit about an hour after I got started.

I will have to switch my strategy and do what I can in the morning.

youngins

Wall Framing

My step dad came over to check my work so far.  I think for a newbie/nobody/rookie like myself - having somebody double check work is a smart idea.  

We corrected the following issues:

1. The north wall was lined up incorrectly (it was lined up with the OSB).  Since we knew the subfloor frame was square when we started, we realigned the bottom of that wall with the sub floor frame.

2. On the north wall, I omitted a stud at the first 4 ft mark (I was thinking about saving material since the king stud for the door just ended right before it.) We simply nailed in the extra stud.

3. We adjusted the headers so they were flush with the side of the wall (probably just a personal pet peeve of his)

4. A couple of studs on the west wall were nailed in crooked.

5. I had already put the south wall together - he assisted in putting the header in for the large window.

6. He help me put together the east wall.

7. Straighten out walls

I find it difficult to take pictures as I am framing - but I tend to get uber focused on tasks - just taking enough time outs to get a break from the sun.

North wall:

North/West walls

South wall:

South/East walls:

East wall:

Left to do:

1. Insert cripple studs above rough opening on south wall
2. Finish rough opening for air conditioner on east wall
3. Attach cap plate stock
4. Sheath walls with Fiber Brace
5. Make more money to start roof

glenn-k

You got er movin' now.  Get the wall sheathing nailed on before the studs twist in all directions if you can.

You could temporarily nail a 2x4 horizontally to set the sheathing on for support until it is nailed on.

peg_688

QuoteYou got er movin' now.  Get the wall sheathing nailed on before the studs twist in all directions if you can.

You could temporarily nail a 2x4 horizontally to set the sheathing on for support until it is nailed on.

And some interior diagonal bracing to hold it plumb , maybe some top plates , and AIR CONDITIONING  in a play house  :o :o Yous Texan's must be burnin money to cool off  ;D

Anyway the Rangers sure cooled off the Mariners bats , 5 STRAIGHT loses , 3 to lowly Texas Rangers  ::) >:( ::)

Eh good job youngins  ;)

glenn-k

QuoteYou got er movin' now.  Get the wall sheathing nailed on before the studs twist in all directions if you can.

And some interior diagonal bracing to hold it plumb , maybe some top plates , and AIR CONDITIONING  in a play house  :o :o Yous Texan's must be burnin money to cool off  ;D

Anyway the Rangers sure cooled off the Mariners bats , 5 STRAIGHT loses , 3 to lowly Texas Rangers  ::) >:( ::)

Eh good job youngins  ;)

I don't know anything about football, PEG. ;D