Our 20 x 40 1-1/2 story finally begins!

Started by TarMetto, January 13, 2017, 10:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarMetto

Quote from: Rys on February 24, 2017, 04:44:24 PM
Thought for sure you were posting more pictures when I saw you'd been on here.    :(

Hahahaha!...not yet. Heading back down in a few. Just interior wall building and window/door framing this weekend.

TarMetto

Forgot to take progress pics this past weekend...but I got the mid bath walls framed, framed the closet area in the bedroom, and the walls where the stairs will be.
Kinda slow going due to the fact that I shot 1" of a 3.25" framing nail into the end of my left middle finger! Waited till Sunday evening to go get x-rays (they though it may have grazed the bone) and a tetanus shot.

TarMetto

Rys

Interesting bump out for the stairs. I like it!

How's the finger today? Sounded ouchy!

Don_P

It looks like you can steal closet in the MBR from under the stairs?
One way to think about a framing nail, that was half a .22, tends to pith one off  d*. What one doc said when we sent someone in is that bone is similar to wood in that the nail usually doesn't shatter bone, it tends to punch a hole and not do too much damage. I've hit the bone in one finger and had a number just go into the meat. (Keep the holding hand at least nail length away, you never know when a nail is going to fishhook out of the wood and SYP is the most prone to that) That finger where the nail hit the bone took a long time to "come to", it really rings its bells. A friend hit the main nerve in his hand, that you don't want to do.
A hipped porch roof over the decks would be nice.

TarMetto

Quote from: Rys on March 01, 2017, 06:50:31 AM
Interesting bump out for the stairs. I like it!

How's the finger today? Sounded ouchy!

Finger is fine....side effects from the tetanus shot were worse, still sore where the shot went in after 3 days.

TarMetto

Quote from: Don_P on March 01, 2017, 08:06:23 AM
It looks like you can steal closet in the MBR from under the stairs?
One way to think about a framing nail, that was half a .22, tends to pith one off  d*. What one doc said when we sent someone in is that bone is similar to wood in that the nail usually doesn't shatter bone, it tends to punch a hole and not do too much damage. I've hit the bone in one finger and had a number just go into the meat. (Keep the holding hand at least nail length away, you never know when a nail is going to fishhook out of the wood and SYP is the most prone to that) That finger where the nail hit the bone took a long time to "come to", it really rings its bells. A friend hit the main nerve in his hand, that you don't want to do.
A hipped porch roof over the decks would be nice.

Hmmmm?...didn't think about stairwell closet access from the MBR...good idea!

We'll probably do a shed roof over the deck that's parallel to the kitchen since we plan to have an outdoor cooking area there. The window on that side will be a slider to act as a pass-thru from the kitchen.
That area will have evening shade, opposite side will have morning shade...it gets hot there in the summer. Front deck is tree shaded and faces the lake.

TarMetto

Catching up on the progress pics...been BUSY!

We hired a local crew to frame and sheath the roof after my second injury (ribs)...best $1500 I've ever spent!

The wife and I were TIRED after doing our part, framing it from the block to the loft floor.

CabinNick

Looks great.  Looking forward to seeing pics of how your stairs worked out in the bump out - hadn't thought of that when scratching my head on how to fit code stairs in. 

TarMetto

Quote from: CabinNick on April 03, 2017, 09:12:43 PM
Looks great.  Looking forward to seeing pics of how your stairs worked out in the bump out - hadn't thought of that when scratching my head on how to fit code stairs in.

I'll try to get a good pic of the stairs this weekend.
I really like the way we did it. The stairs are actually 42" wide (my preference).
The bumpout measures 11' x 5' and allows for a small foyer. There will be a sliding barn door to close this area off when we have no need to heat/cool the upstairs. Not an ideal seal
but we didn't want a door at the top of the stairs.

TarMetto

This is the exhaust hood that I'm building for the kitchen island.
Rigidized stainless body with a brass finish, trimmed in real brass.
We're also using the Rigidized for the backsplash behind the counter top throughout the kitchen.