Maine Mountainside 20 x 32 cabin

Started by MaineRhino, September 30, 2007, 07:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

My dad made a rebar gaurd rail at one time to keep us from pushing each other into the stove if we were smart or lucky enough to catch one of the two rails -- and the stove got red hot so likely we would get branded again. 

"Oh yeah -- that's one of the Kangiser kids --- look at the mark on his arm --- "#4 grade 60" --- "

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn I was looking for a picture of the mark.  I take it that it was not you.

Sassy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 05, 2008, 07:15:55 PM
Glenn I was looking for a picture of the mark.  I take it that it was not you.

:D  I went back to look at a picture, too...   :-[
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I may have exaggerated a little, but the stove really did get red hot  and there really was a rebar guard one at least one of them --- we had several different type of wood stoves but the cool old ones were made of tin, an oval about 18" x 30" and loaded from the top.  The sides often had a nice cherry red glow. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MaineRhino

Last week I purchased a Kuma woodstove, Tamarack model. What a difference it made from the Jotul "Nordic" model we had!

I'm sure many of you already know it, but I have come to realize that it's easier to buid a small fire in a large woodstove, than a large fire in a small woodstove.  d*

They even delivered it!

Bishopknight

Very nice Troy, good choice!

You should get alot of usage out of it this winter :)

soomb

does that model have an outside air inlet?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MaineRhino

Yes, I believe this model does come with an outside air inlet. I'm not sure if that will be hooked up or not. Not this year anyway, maybe in the spring....

On the walls I used cement backer board. 4" strips were placed upon the first layer, and a second sheet will be added to that, leaving an air gap between the two. Next summer i'll face it with cultured stone, brick or tile, and build a taller base for the stove. 

If you look at the stove picture you will see that 3 more 3'x4' backer boards need to be installed.

Redoverfarm

MaineRhino If it does then now would be the time to put it through the wall before the stone work.  I put in place a piece of Sch 40(grey) in my wall when I built the firewall.  Never got the air intake until a year later but used 3" metal from the stove to the PVC.  I could tell the difference in the stove.   With my Soapstone they made a metal adapter to screw onto the draft assembly and was really easy to install only $$$.  You could make it out of sheetmetal and paint black to save a buck or two.

MaineRhino

On this stove the intake is under the stove, so I think it will go straight down to the floor. I'll cut a hole in the floor for that when the base is built. The base will be about 4" tall, then covered with stone or tile.

It's good to know that the outside air intake really makes a difference. Thanks for the tip!  [cool]

pickngrin

Can someone explain why the outside air intake improves a stove's performance?  Is combustion improved because the stove is taking in colder, denser air from the outside? 

Thanks

MountainDon

In a building that is sealed well against exterior air infiltration the fresh air supply provides a clear pathway for the air consumed by the stove. In my cabin I have noticed it is much easier to get the fire started when I crack a window or door open.

My fresh air kit was backordered when we got the stove. I now have it, and will install it as soon as I can. My plan is to go through the floor behind the stove into space under the cabin. The inlet point will be screened with both metal window screen and 1/4" hardware cloth.

My original reason for wanting the fresh air inlet was caused by the use of the Sun-Mar composting toilet. It uses a 4" vent pipe. With a good fire going I envisioned air being drawn down the vent pipe and having toilet smells wafting through the cabin.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

MaineRhino mine is underneath also.  But the draft system that Hearthstone makes exits in the back to 3".  Might want to check yours out before knocking holes in the floor.  Actually it is just a box 3-1/2" tall X 18-20" wide and about 8-10" deep that fits over the draft mechanism which was already in place. 

MaineRhino

Our latest project at the camp began as a simple observation of an interesting beech tree with a twist and turn in it. To me it looked like it could be used as a one-piece bottom post and railing for our (steep) stairs.  What I didn't think of was how heavy it would be!
It was quite a feat to see my son (Josh) hitch on to that tree with the 4-wheeler and twitch that unruly log out of the woods and over some extremely tough terrain! It probably took about 2 hours, and I hope it was worth it...

This was the easy section....

The twist...

We are now back from a 9 day stay at the camp. Hunting season is over, and snow has arrived. Icy mountain roads are NOT fun!

Josh and I hiked the mountain behind the camp. Found tracks of bobcat, rabbit, turkey, fox, fisher, deer and bear.
This us at the top

So, we are done for the season, and will return next spring to continue where we left off....

Redoverfarm

Interesting tree.  Hope you can incorporate it in your design scheme.  It should get lighter in weight by the time you return. ;D

considerations

The pictures are so nice, almost makes it sad that you have to go "home" for the winter.

glenn kangiser

That's great - I like to see trees as grown used in construction.

MaineRhino

On saturday we decided to go check on camp, and use the Rhino to get us up and back. I soon discovered that this machine was not made for 3 feet of fine powder. :o

So we decided that since it was only about a mile or so to camp, all uphill, that the 5 of us would hike in even though none of us had snowshoes. Probably not the smartest decision I ever made, to say the least! d*

So, a little over 2 hours later we all made it up there to discover that things were just as we left it in November, except with an acorn in the bathtub.......Squirrel maybe?

But at least it was a beautiful day, and we all survived.

Next year i'll be sure to purchase snowshoes a snowmobile.   ;)

MountainDon

Well, you answered my questions about how those tracks would do in soft snow.  ;D

We has better luck with snowshoes than a snowmobile on 2 feet of powder... but that was mainly because of the turns we had to maneuver and the need to slow down for the turns.  :-[  As soon as we slowed, we sank. Probably going to snowshoe up next weekend. 3 1/4 miles. Using these from MSR...  (they also make for passable emergency shovels with the snowmobile   ;D

with the optional tails...

considerations

Wow, snowshoes....After last December, I'm thinking I should get some, would have been handy.

MaineRhino

Ah, spring is finally here for us! We were able to drive up to camp and spend the weekend. It was tough to leave Sunday afternoon!
We were able to finish the T&G on the ceiling, which leaves one interior wall and the understairs pantry to do. I think i'll use an oil base poly to seal it.

We also finished the siding above the porch.

Also cleared the woods for a 12x16 shed, and a 10x14 shower/sauna house. Next weekend we'll dig for the posts, weather depending.

Redoverfarm

Looking nice. The house blends in with the setting.  I noticed that the loft handrail is on the "to do" list later.  A neighbor (contractor) is just finishing up a cabin with T&G walls & ceiling.  He used 2X for the rails and pickets.  Surprising it looked really good in contrast to the rest of the wood.  I even approved of it's appearence.  ;D  I plan on taking a couple of shots of the cabin.  Looks pretty sharp if I do say so myself.

Bishopknight

Looking awesome Troy! I bet you were thrilled to be able to drive up there after all the snow we got! :)