Maine Mountainside 20 x 32 cabin

Started by MaineRhino, September 30, 2007, 07:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

MaineRhino  how did youo fasten the pickets to the rail?  Did you use a tenion cutter?

MaineRhino

I used a variety of Forstner bits.

Quite time consuming, as all the alders were of different sizes, but well worth the effort. At least I think so!

ScottA

dmlsr

place looks great. what town in maine are u in???

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

MaineRhino

Dave,

It's on the east side of Roxbury.

And thanks for your posts on your cabin in N.H..  It was really a big inspiration for us to watch your progress too!!!   [cool]

Alasdair

Nice work Rhino! The whole project looks great but I especially like your railings - very rustic! [cool]
Al

MaineRhino

The railings are finally done!

Front shot...

No railings on the end. I think we'll be building stairs on that end too.

And of course, it was another beautiful day on the mountain!

Sassy

Really love those railings!   8)  Place looks nice & beautiful area! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MaineRhino

Siding is DONE....  Whew...   Metal trim wrap is next, and a few odds and ends outside left to do!

glenn kangiser

Looks great.  Are those real shakes?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peteh2833

Looks great. What kind of siding is that????  Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MaineRhino

Since we are building this to be as maintenance free as possible, we went with vinyl siding. It is Mastic, Cedar Discovery, Split Cedar Shingle in Natural Cedar color. It makes the camp blend into the woods very nicely.

We also used composite decking for the front porch.

MaineRhino

The weather has delayed us by at least a month, but we got a good start on the interior wood this weekend. We wanted to stain it before it was installed, but it's too cold or wet to do so now! We were able to stain the kitchen ceiling/loft floor boards before they were installed.

This pic shows the loft floor/kitchen ceiling and the front room.

Kitchen/back door area.

Fireplace corner

dmlsr

place looks great. keepup the good work

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Alberta Curt

Looks great!  I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind........

1.  What slope do have on your porch roof?  It looks like I may have a similiar slope, but I'm concerned about snow load.

2. How much did your knotty pine finishing cost on the inside of the cabin?  I've been pricing it out and it looks like it will cost me a fortune.

Redoverfarm

Alberta Curt don't know about Maine but here I just ordered some more 2X6 T&G and it was $.89 a lf.  The 1X6 bead board T&G was $1.15 sf. 

MaineRhino

Thank you! It's been alot of fun!

I think the roof is 4/12. I'll check it this weekend.  We had about 14' of snow last season, so the porch is built very sturdy, with all posts notched and bolted together. Also, the porch ceiling framing runs through the front wall. I'm certain it will hold a major snow load. I'll be there once a month in the winter to check.

The 1x8" T&G v-match was .73 /LF, grade 3 (of grades 1,2,3,4a and 4b). I bought 2800 LF.

Sassy

Your cabin is really beautiful!   The site is wonderful, also - bet you are really enjoying the place  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MaineRhino

The front porch roof has been stained and sealed (both sides) with a deck sealer product, then installed. Almost done...... :P

Bishopknight

Wow, very impressive Troy! I like the personal touches and wood carvings alot! I have to come up there and check it out soon!

MaineRhino

Thanks Sean, call me anytime you want to visit!

We did the wood ceilings and front wall this weekend. Busted tail for 11 hours on Saturday. Glad to have that (almost) done!
I'll take more pics next weekend.

I'll be out hunting next Saturday, opening day....   I'll be looking for the bear that belongs to this ear in this picture

He bit my trail camera, cracked the lens and punctured the light sensor...

glenn kangiser

phalynx

you can actually see the bEAR WAX!!!     d*