JeffnTN June 2005 20x32 photo update

Started by JeffnTN, June 19, 2005, 01:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffnTN

I finally got the sheetrock done, painted it and am now staining the loft ceiling and beams.

Can`t wait to get started on the trim work.

Here is the photo album with some new pics.

Jeff http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tnmtnbiker39/album?.dir=3b77&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

glenn-k

Your project's really looking good, Jeff.  Thanks for the new pictures.

spinnm

There you are.  Looks good.

Know you don't have time to answer silly questions.  But.....landscaping looks mature.  Roses and all.  Is this an addition to an existing property?  Tear-down?  Just curious.

JeffnTN

Shelley,

I am building just up the hill (Mountain) from my Mom and Dad.

The landscaping has been a work in progress for about 7 years.

Jeff

PS:   What is the story on the gold stars?

Please fill me in as I have been out of the loop/to busy to keep up.

;)  Thanks.

spinnm

Think it's just an automatic thing based upon the # of posts.  Chatty=gold stars.  ;D

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteThink it's just an automatic thing based upon the # of posts.  Chatty=gold stars.  ;D

Shelley is the 4 star General of Cabin Builders!

ken hilfiker

What kind of stain did you use in the kitchen ceiling.  Looks great!

ken hilfiker

What kind of stain did you use in the kitchen ceiling.  Looks great!

JeffnTN

Ken, I am using min wax polyshades {Honey pine satin (stock #310)} on all interior trim, which will all be SYP except for oak cabinets)..    

This best matches the Waterlox tung oil finish I chose for the SYP floors.

Jeff

ken

Any Pre?  Did you prep with a bleach or sand before staining?  Thanks.  Ken

JeffnTN

Yes.  I spent Many Hours sanding the beams.  
40, 80, 120, 220 grit.

I pole and hand sanded the beams/ceiling between coats with 220 also.

Just finished hanging the kitchen cabinets yesterday.  

Will try to post pics soon.

peg_688

Looks really good  :)  Well worth the effort , on the SYP :P HTBH  ;)PEG  

jraabe

Quality Work!

It's nice to see the care being taken that will, long term, make this into a house to be lived in and loved for many generations.

JeffnTN

Thanks for the positive feedback..   I need it right now.  I am getting a  little burned out/overworked and this high heat/humidity today did not help.

But it should cool off tomorrow evening with Dennis blowing in to town.

Jeff

Jared Drake

Could I be nosey and ask how much you've got into this little house? My wife and I are wanting to build as debt free as possible, starting hopefully in two years. Dad's giving us 20 acres and the well has been there for years, so septic is the only other expense aside from the house that we'd have. Thanks.

J.c.

When balloon framing, what is the best way to tie in the beams to a 6" stud wall to allow it to be strong to use as a second floor?
Would you notch the stud? Is that safe?
Or would you just add a runner strip added to the outside of the stud. Is that safe?
I cant tell from this picture what method he used.
Also what is the greatest distance for the knee wall from beams to the rafters?
Would a 12 ft wall with an 8 foot lower ceiling be too much?

Jochen

I put a ledgerboard up on the wallstuds and used then joisthangers to attach my 2" x 10" floorjoists through the ledgerboard to the studs. I hope this picture will tell you more then my sometimes silly english.  ;D

Jochen

n74tg

Hey J.C.

In the picture two posts back from this one how did you attach rafters to top plate of wall.  

jraabe

Either of these can work fine. The upper photo is of a ledger board let-in (notched) into the studs and the cross-tie joists nailed to both the stud and the ledger.

As to the question of how high to go it depends on the snow and wind loads and if there are collar ties higher up on the roof rafters. It can get complex and a review with the plans examiner is probably prudent. The photo shows what looks like 2x4 collar ties up near the top. They aren't helping much that high.

I have gone 12' on some of my designs using site built trusses that rest on the plates thereby taking most of the outward forces off the wall.

Jochen

Hey n74tg,

I saw a kerf (birds mouth cut) into each rafter and nailed the rafter onto the topplates. Then I added Hurricane ties as well.

Jochen

KJ

Can you tell me a little more about these site built trusses you refer to in this message?  I would like to put 12' walls on the 14' wide Little House my husband and I are going to build.
Thanks!

QuoteEither of these can work fine. The upper photo is of a ledger board let-in (notched) into the studs and the cross-tie joists nailed to both the stud and the ledger.

As to the question of how high to go it depends on the snow and wind loads and if there are collar ties higher up on the roof rafters. It can get complex and a review with the plans examiner is probably prudent. The photo shows what looks like 2x4 collar ties up near the top. They aren't helping much that high.

I have gone 12' on some of my designs using site built trusses that rest on the plates thereby taking most of the outward forces off the wall.

ShawnaJ

Noticed you are in the same area as our property, can I pick your brain and use your experience?

Where was the cheapest/best place to get materials overall?

Did you have any timber milled? If so where?

Best price for bulldozer or backhoe services? We have some quotes from a local guy but a second opinion/personal experience never hurts.

Anything you would do different?

We have 7 acres and also just bought our neighbors 7+ acres up on the plateau, all heavily wooded with hardwoods and three small springs/creeks. My dogs favorite place there is the Mickey D's, they get so disappointed when we get back down to SC and they don't get their doggie treat at our Mickey D's

My husband is military so we only get up there on holidays and summer, the neighbor started a shed type building on the piece we just bought, and we will finish that over spring break.  

Your place looks great, can't wait to have my own up there!!