Peace River Canada house

Started by tigrr, April 02, 2012, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrr

Been working our butts off, but its worth it.  The plumbing is done and inspected.  The wiring is roughed in and inspected.  The ok to insulate and drywall is a go. 

The basement is ready for the concreters to place and finish the floor.  It has a tarp like material on the gravel.  Then a 6 mil poly, then 2 inch styrofoam, then another layer of 6 mil poly.  The there is 3/8 inch rebar every 16 inches on center in a grid.  See pic.

We are at a holding pattern waiting for the concreters to do their thing, then  the furnace people will do their thing, then the drywallers will do their thing.  The my wife and I can nail down the hardwood floor and assemble and hang the kitchen cupboards.  LIG
Long range shooting is my passion, house building keeps me out of mischief.

tigrr

Its been an exciting time around here right now.  The concrete floor is in, 60% of the basement is drywalled.  50% of the upstairs is drywalled.  Learning all these new drywall terms, blueboard(bathroom stuff) ceiling lite (fiberglass reinforced).  The drywallers expect to be finished boarding wed the June 6th.  Then the mudding and taping start. The furnace people are installing a 95% efficient, vented to the sidewall NG furnace. Then they will plumb the furnace and NG power vented hot water tank.  Ductwork will be complete Thursday the 6th.  Time to start assembling the kitchen cupboards.  Oh ya the floor has to go in first.  My knee's hurt already, just thinking about it.

MushCreek

Wow- you're booming right along! I'm still waiting for a break in the weather to pour my basement floor.......
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

tigrr

We feel for you MC.  We had to wait until the ground around our site was dry enough for the big trucks to come in.  We managed to fit it in just before the heavy rains started again yesterday.  Thankfully, the drywall was also delivered last week during the "dry spell".   It will be interesting cleaning up all the scrap board that's been soaked in the rain.

kalstar

Don't mean to go backwards but, question, how large is your foundation (dimension wise) and how long did it take you (hours) to put all 6 rows up? Seems like a lot of rebar, does the ICF spec that much?

Thanx in advance your your help.

tigrr

No problem, kalstar.  Happy to answer any questions we can.  Foundation size is 24' x 40' with a 8' x 12' "bump out".  Trying to remember how long it took to build up the blocks.  I think in total about 5 days.  We work at a comfortable pace for our age ;).  We did not work on it steady though, life always has a way of interrupting the best of intensions(ribs).  My wife cut the rebar while I bent and installed it.  Yes, the rebar is according to this ICF manufacturers specifications.

Professional ICF installers are very fast.  I believe they can have everything done and leave you with a foundation in a week, or less, depending on the compexity of the foundation.  If you're doing it yourself, plan on several weeks.

The block building part is quite easy and straight forward.  It starts to get a little more challenging as you get above the 3rd course of blocks and have to install scaffold and wall support. 

MushCreek

My foundation is 33'4" X 43'4", rectangular, with 3 openings. Today I stacked two complete courses, including cutting blocks and bending and installing re-bar. Took me 6 hours of non-stop work. If I were a younger man, I guess I could do 3 courses a day, but the main floor is going to be a lot slower with all the window and door bucks to deal with. I'm an old fart, working alone, and this is my first experience with ICF. In the basement, I'm not going to install bracing and staging until the walls are pretty much done. Seems fast enough scooting a ladder along as I stack blocks. I have to pay rental on the braces, so I'm not going to use them any longer than I have to! On the main floor, I will have to install the braces sooner, as the walls won't be very stable with all of the openings, and more susceptible to a wind storm.
Jay

tigrr

That's great MC! Glad to hear you're making good progress.  It's a bit like giant lego.  Do you have pictures or a thread started?

kalstar

Thank you very much. What was the cost per block?

MushCreek

Yes, there is a build thread here:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12170.0

I'm limited on pictures because I'm on an air card, so gotta watch the data usage. I'll post more pictures soon, now that things are happening again!
Jay

tigrr

Your welcome Kalstar.  The cost per block was $19.  We needed approx 222 blocks for our foundation.

tigrr

Lost my computer and 12 years of pictures.  Hardrive issue.  Trying to get the pics back, but it is a wait and see thing.

tigrr

Well long time since we posted last but here are some of the latest pictures.
This is the walnut floor being installed.

This is after the floor is completed and I'm assembling and installing the kitchen cabinets.  Also showing the island cabinet.

This is a fancy cabinet that goes between the fridge and stove, kind of a spice rack.

A picture of the cabinet doors.

tigrr

Next installment see date stamp.  Remember just hubby and wife building this.

The only thing left to finish the kitchen is add stove.

Had to capture the range hood.

This shower has yet to be completed.

Man cave shelving.

Shows the cart to bring wood from the wood chute over to the stove.  Halfway through the third box of drywall mud for the basement walls.

Trying to capture the lights but I am not sure if it will come through in the picture.

duncanshannon

excellent stuff!  i really like the style/design of your place.  keep up the good work!

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0