2 or 3 bedrooms?

Started by intelijoc, November 08, 2012, 08:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelijoc

Hello: 

As a second home or vacation property for a family of 4 I want to know if I need 3brs/2bth?  I was thinking of having the kiddos double up in one room but...My philosophy is less=more (usually) however, to keep all involved "happy" I am considering separate rooms... d* 

If anyone has insight or first hand experience I'll buy ya  c*

much thanks

Redoverfarm

Quote from: intelijoc on November 08, 2012, 08:49:28 AM
Hello: 

As a second home or vacation property for a family of 4 I want to know if I need 3brs/2bth?  I was thinking of having the kiddos double up in one room but...My philosophy is less=more (usually) however, to keep all involved "happy" I am considering separate rooms... d* 

If anyone has insight or first hand experience I'll buy ya  c*

much thanks

Many things to consider.  Budget, Age of children, intended future use, guest frequency and above all your preference.  You need to weigh on all the factors.   This is probably something that comes down to personal preference.  What will work for you is not necessiarly what will work for others.  My build is a 3 bedroom/ 1- 1 1/2 baths and works generally but there is occassions where I could use more room but whether it is truely justified probably not.  Just break out the air mattress and sleeping bags for more. ;D

MountainDon

There's no rule on that. People used to live in one room cabins with all their kids... well maybe the boys in a loft.  How much do you want to spend; more space costs more? How much to you want to clean and maintain, etc?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

I loooked at it a diferent way

where my plot is people both live full time , while others use as a vacation house

In my mind i wanted a great room and only two beds, but a a standard family home these days requires more

So we dropped the great room and made it a 3 bed 2 bath - for re-sale value down the road, or even rental wise
its a proper sized home rather than a cabin with kids camping.

I think you need to concider what you require, and what / how you will use it - sale of it down the road

Huge29

I would look more long term, will my kids want to come with their kids if they can't a private room in 15 years?  For some, it is not a huge deal, but for many they simply may not come at all, which defeats a main purpose of building to have quality family time.  Just a thought, at the same time you need to have plenty of living room too.  Good luck!

intelijoc

Thanks- for all the info.  I like the idea of a first phase building for living then eventually build a primary. 

Do plans exist which can first be used as a dwelling then down the road serve the purpose as an outbuilding for vehicles like trucks cars, snow machines,etc.?

Thanks

mgramann

Quote from: intelijoc on November 09, 2012, 08:57:33 AM
Do plans exist which can first be used as a dwelling then down the road serve the purpose as an outbuilding for vehicles like trucks cars, snow machines,etc.?

If I were looking to do something like this, I would use plans for a garage with an upper room-probably with a gambrel roofline and dormers.  I would rough in everything as if I were installing garage doors, but then in place of those doors install walls with windows that could be easily removed(No electrical/plumbing running through them)  Once you build the primary residence, you could remove these walls easily and install the doors.  You would then have a very nice insulated garage with running water/heat. 

For something like this I would also consider in slab heat.  It's nice to live in, and also nice to work on a vehicle when the floor is heated:)

TBoss

Quote from: intelijoc on November 09, 2012, 08:57:33 AM

I looked at this option as well, similar to a Morton or Wick building.  We have a local company near where I live that gave us descent quotes but we are still looking at all options.
Some have mentioned to me to just build a basement, put a roof on it, and live in it for a few years.  Then later when you are ready you can add the upper level and be done.
I like this option as I only have to run plumbing, water, electric to one place.  I need to talk with contractors about this though and I'm not sure if a bank would loan money on a home this way.  They are picky these days.

A metal building home is an option but if you are getting a loan for it the bank may have a tough time finding comps in your area.  Something to consider.

intelijoc

I looked at the Morton/Wick... not sure if that will work on the property which is at 10K ft elevation. I do not want vehicles truck, 4x4, etc parked below where I live the fumes may be a negative