DemianJ's 2-Str Universal in VA (New Pics 7/13/07)

Started by DemianJ, February 27, 2006, 02:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DemianJ

Since I've received so much great information here, I've been meaning to post my project but have been too busy building.  The house is a 20x24 2 Story Universal (modified length with a full, walkout basement) being built about 30 mi N of Lynchburg, VA using a combination of free family help and hired carpentry friends.  I'm serving as the GC and semi-skilled labor and have enjoyed every minute of it.  It also doesn't hurt that, so far, the weather's been amazing for Feb.  We started framing 2 weeks ago and here's some pics of where things are at now.  I'll post more details later.

(Forum Admin Note: Added Owner Builder Gallery Page for this house 9-21-07.)

First off... here's a more recent photo to show you where this story and forum thread is headed:

Floorplans below then pictures of the framing.

Thanks,
Demian

Jimmy_Cason

That looks very good! Keep the pics coming!

glenn-k

Nice start -- I really like the scenery there.

jraabe

Lovely site and clean framing. Nice tidy plan.

You are getting some pretty nice weather considering it is still winter most places.

Boatz

I like your cabin and the way you have sited it - great views! Any chance you've got some elevations to post? I'd love to see what the exterior is going to look like...

DemianJ

Thanks yall for the good words.  The 2nd story walls go up today (so I get to see just how much of a tower it'll actually be).  We're beginning to wonder whether we'll have to rent a crane or extended forklift to get the trusses in place (any thoughts?).  I'll post some more pics soon.

Boatz, I'll post some elevation pics in the next few days.  I'm still trying to figure out how to blend the bumpout, front porch and upstairs balcony together in 3DHA.

Demian

Jimmy_Cason

What type of truss system did you decide to use?

DemianJ

Jimmy,

We ended up buying scissor trusses because the one's I was unable to get the VA paperwork for the one's I was given.  They'll probably be used in a outbuilding down the road.

We've got the 2nd story done and the house sheathed and wrapped and hope to raise the trusses and start siding next week.  I'll some more progress picks soon.

John_M

Would love to see the update...looks great so far!! :)

DemianJ

Here's the recent progress.  We're using the wall system labeled Wall 1 in this article. It turns out that we'll need to go back and cut the foam openings larger to allow the window flashing to connect with the Tyvek.

http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/walls/Guide_to_Insulation_Sheathing.pdf

I'll post some 3D renderings of the front of the house with the porches soon.

Note- rotated and resized picture- GK

jwv

Jonquils sprouting, must be close to Easter.

judy

Your house is great!

DemianJ

Thanks JMV.

I never got around to reposting that 3d rendering so the current progress will give you an idea.  We're currently trying to figure out how to blend the bumpout, balcony, and front porch roofs and are currently leaning towards having the bumpout top touch the underside of the metal porch shed roof (which extends 6' out, has a 3/12 pitch, and goes all the way across the front).  Luckily, my carpenter is very patient with onsite architecture.

New house pics showing progress as of 4/1 (electrical, plumbing, roofing are being done this week):

Note the extended boom forklift getting stuck and almost sliding down the mountainside.

//www.demianbridgethouse.shutterfly.com

Password: virginia

DemianJ

Amanda_931

Ouch on the forklift.

I drove them for about 4 years.  Never the out-side capable ones, usually the little bitty narrow aisle reach trucks.  But in one training class they assured us that the 3-wheel types--the kind that ride on the back of block truck--were as stable as the 4, not any harder to overturn.  Even if your big sweetie was a four-wheeler.

But they are very very heavy for their size, have to be to counterbalance tons many feet in the air.  And working at capacity, not terribly stable.  I soon learned to work smoothly when my forks were up high.  Any kind of jerkiness when I had over a ton 18-feet up put me on three (of the four) wheels if not two.  And that was on flat dry concrete.  Never turned it over though.  Would have been easy.  We weren't supposed to take ours outside at all, but a lot of us did, and not infrequently, since these only powered (and steered) one wheel, had to be pulled or pushed out of a pothole under that one wheel.

DemianJ

Wow, it's been a long time since I updated my project posting.  

The porches are over half done, the sheetrockers finished yesterday and painting started today.  We're hoping to move out of the travel trailer and into the house in about 3 weeks.

Now if I can just find that camera cable.....

Jimmy_Cason

The porches are over half done, the sheetrockers finished yesterday and painting started today.  We're hoping to move out of the travel trailer and into the house in about 3 weeks.

Now if I can just find that camera cable.....

Demian, What a tease!  
I would really like to see those pics when you find the cable!

jraabe

Nice work!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Demian has sent me some updated photos. I will add a few here and he can comment if needed:

Exterior image - siding going up.

Front porch wraps around side.

Interior framing exposed.

Drywall in process.

MB25ACRES

dO you have any pics of the walkout side. pics of framing above door. what did that ad to the cost of the basement compared to reg basement. just wandering what basement cost. thanks Mike

Jimmy_Cason

That looks so good! It is amazing how fast your place is coming together.

DemianJ

MB,
I think I've got some pics of it somewhere.  The door opening wasn't actually framed; it's a rebar reinforced concrete header that they made using the forms they poured the walls with.  With the current price of concrete and steel, adding openings should offset any increased labor cost and will probably actually reduce the cost of a basement.  We also had a window opening in the same wall, so b/w the window and a double glass door the first half of the basement gets a good amount of light.

Jimmy,
Thanks.  We've brought on a bunch of subs towards the end to try and get things wrapped up.  I'm amazed you've been moving faster while doing everything yourself!

The siding was finished today in time for the torrential rain.  I should have papered the porch roof though.

DemianJ

MB25ACRES

Thanks Demian I think you have done a great job. very inspiring. I am still conviencing my wife we can do this. we already have land (not free and clear) but am not wanting to add much more to the financed amount. So I am hoping to have the basement poured with walk out. By the way how tall are the walls in the basement. I see that some builders are advertising deeper basements for more head room. not sure what is standard and can't remember what they are saying thier deeper basements are. I have a cousin that is an electrical engineer that I think will do the electric. I have another that is a roofer that I am hoping will atleast keep me sane. my Father-in-law is very handy so I think he would enjoy helping. enough rambling from me thanks for responding. thanks Mike

DemianJ

We're hoping to get a temporary CO this week.

Here's a few pics from this week:

Edited on 9/29 to add more pics.

Pala

Looks beautimus!!  ;)

Rafters over the porch look cool, the way they're cut.

Must feel good congrats!

Jared

If it's not rude, how much was your building cost?
Jared

Sassy

MIEDRN

This is beautiful! Great job, you must be very proud!