12 Pole Creek Cabin

Started by Steve-Patricia-n-WV, May 12, 2014, 10:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-Patricia-n-WV

Hello Fellow Small House Afficiandos,

We are a month into our cabin building project. We started with clearing the spot of wild brambles and poison ivy then took out three trees. I am blogging at TypingOneHanded.com (http://typingonehanded.com) every other week to share our progress with family and friends around the world.

I discovered PlanHelp.com about three years ago. I was a member until last summer when we started downsizing with the goal of living on a single income. I had several plans downloaded to my computer. Imagine my surprise and delight when I realized that the cabin plans Steve found were the same ones I had already been fascinated with. *Great minds think alike!*  ;) I bought BH&G Home Designer 6.0 and have been playing as often as possible with different layouts.

We are blessed to be in a county that allows us the freedom to make our own choices for building as long as we pay the $15 for a permit. We are using the 20x30 1-1/2 story plans with a few modifications. Our actual footprint is 20x32. We tore down an old house on a different property last summer and are able to reuse a lot of 50+-year-old wood, including 2x8 sawmill oak boards for joists.

We have plenty of pictures of the ongoing project which I will share as soon as I figure out how to do so.

~Patricia
Our Dream: "a perfect house, whether you like food or sleep or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all." ~Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit

Steve-Patricia-n-WV

Here is the first edited picture of the cabin location:

Our Dream: "a perfect house, whether you like food or sleep or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all." ~Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit

kalstar

Looking forward to watching your project come together.

rick91351

w*  From Rick and Ellen in Idaho

Beautiful area you have there.  Hope to watch your project take off and and all come together.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

John Raabe

Welcome to the forum and your new build. Nice site!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Steve-Patricia-n-WV

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Here's a collage of the us starting working on the piers. We had a some help from the 9-yr-old grandson.

[/URL][/img]

I have a new post up on Typing One Handed  ( http://typingonehanded.com/http:/typingonehanded.com/2014/05/14/designing-the-dream-diy-cabin-project ) with a video of Steve cutting down three large trees and getting them to land in just the right place.

More to come - I'm going to have Steve describe our actual building process...

~Patricia