Windows near corners in little houses

Started by OlJarhead, October 09, 2009, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Hi,

I'm trying to finish my wall plans before framing them up (good idea huh) and wanted to get your opinions on the following:

I want to place windows in the SW Corner of my 14x24.  A 4x4 in the long wall and a 2x4 in the short wall in order to open up the corner a bit.

At first I had them 12" from the corner but then though I should have 16" instead (for better insulation was my thinking).  Is it ok to do this?  Wise?  Should I push them out 32"?

Thanks again!
Erik

MountainDon

There is a rule on this. It falls under "braced wall" sections. I'll try to look it up tonight. There are some if's and's and but's.

What I seem to recall is that, in a cabin of your size, if you have a full 4 foot panel width (full height too) at one end of each wall then you should be fine as long as any header sizes are proper for the openings.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on October 12, 2009, 05:56:29 PM
There is a rule on this. It falls under "braced wall" sections. I'll try to look it up tonight. There are some if's and's and but's.

What I seem to recall is that, in a cabin of your size, if you have a full 4 foot panel width (full height too) at one end of each wall then you should be fine as long as any header sizes are proper for the openings.

Thanks -- I've been thinking it's probably easier to go with the 32" spacing from the corner to avoid issues like this -- besides that I have so much to try to remember!  Geez....

Thanks!