Tree Stump Removal

Started by Redoverfarm, July 11, 2013, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I had ran across this lately and thought some might be interested.  This is not the exact formula that I had seen before but maybe it is worth a try.  Most of the owner/builders do not have the resources for a mechanical means to extract stumps so this may be a good alternative. 

Get rid of tree stumps by drilling holes in the stump and filling them with 100% Epsom salt. Follow with water, and wait. Live stumps may take as long as a month to decay, and start to decompose all by themselves.

OlJarhead

interesting.  Any drawbacks?  Linkage?

I need to remove a LOT of stumps!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on July 11, 2013, 10:23:23 AM
interesting.  Any drawbacks?  Linkage?

I need to remove a LOT of stumps!

Don't know Eric.  Have never tried it.  I had once heard of similar approach but they used yogurt in the holes and something else but I can't recall what it was. ???

fishing_guy

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Rob_O

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 11, 2013, 07:17:47 AM
Get rid of tree stumps by drilling holes in the stump and filling them with 100% Epsom salt.

I always heard the best way to get rid of old stumps was to drill holes in them and fill the holes with gunpowder and det cord.  ??? Must be a KY thing
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

firefox

Somehow I don't think KY jelly will work, even with a big winch.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

rick91351

If KY Jelly wont work Bruce chances are that Vaseline................ ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

firefox

Actually, I prefer the det cord idea. Stuff really works wonders.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

stricsm

If the stump is dry, drill holes with a large bit or hand auger to form a pocket in the center of the stump.  Use a charcoal chimney to start a load of charcoal.  Large stumps may need 2 or 3 loads.  Dump the charcoal in the pocket.  It will smolder for weeks.  This method will not only burn the stump but it may also burn most of the roots if dry enough.  I burned a 3' diameter Beech stump this way and it smoldered for about 3 weeks.  Smoke was coming out of the ground 10' away from the stump.  I got most of the roots on that one but it was a dry stump.