Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12

Started by JavaMan, April 20, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

The schedule will have to change now ... the trips up will have to be shorter ...

I am now among the employed once more!  :)

Of course, that means that I'll be able to afford beer and steaks for those that help when I do get up there!  ;)

Yonderosa

:)  Did I hear beer?

You know that is the universal currency of construction labor. 

Glad to hear your revenue stream is directionally correct.  In this economy it seems just treading water is winning. 
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

JavaMan

Quote from: Yonderosa on July 15, 2010, 07:42:55 PM
:)  Did I hear beer?

You know that is the universal currency of construction labor.  

Glad to hear your revenue stream is directionally correct.  In this economy it seems just treading water is winning.  

Yeah, I start Monday ... and it will be great to begin once more to have +'s in front of the flow rather than the '-' signs....

As far as the universal currency is concerned, I also don't pay in Budweiser, Schlitz, MGD, or any "lite" currency ... unless specifically asked for - most people I know actually enjoy the Sam Adams, Moose Drool, or other micro brews...  :)  I should really brew my own once more.

Yonderosa

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

JavaMan

Ok, the schedule has been cleared with the secretary ...  So this is a semi-official, official call for volunteers/help.

I will be headed up to the Ranch on the weekend of September 11 to put the roof up.  Anyone wishing to help can let me know via the thread or IM me with your phone # or email and I will arrange a way to guide you in to the property.

I will provide lunches and such (and beer, too!  :) )  And I can figure out something for dinner on Saturday for those that hang around.  (I need to figure out how to get the grill up there along with all the tools)

The project will be simply to put up the roof rafters and the roof decking - maybe to get as far as the shingles done, but if not, that's ok.  I'll arrange another party again later  ;D

Thanks to all who volunteer to help in advance!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on July 25, 2010, 07:49:25 PM
Ok, the schedule has been cleared with the secretary ...  So this is a semi-official, official call for volunteers/help.

I will be headed up to the Ranch on the weekend of September 11 to put the roof up.  Anyone wishing to help can let me know via the thread or IM me with your phone # or email and I will arrange a way to guide you in to the property.

I will provide lunches and such (and beer, too!  :) )  And I can figure out something for dinner on Saturday for those that hang around.  (I need to figure out how to get the grill up there along with all the tools)

The project will be simply to put up the roof rafters and the roof decking - maybe to get as far as the shingles done, but if not, that's ok.  I'll arrange another party again later  ;D

Might be able to make that -- kinda far out though!  But don't let me forget -- maybe Josh and I can treck out around then :D

Yonderosa

Keep me in the loop too.  Not sure if that works with on my Calendar but if I'm there, I'm there.  ;)

TeeCee19

Hey guy..Loving your post so far. You and I seem to be in agreement with building a storage shed first. It will be my first build EVER. Im nervous and yet anxious. My post is titled Oldest Town in East Texas. Your postings will be sorta a "guide" for me. No pressure..LOL..anyway..looks great so far...My shed might be a tad smaller..8' X 10'. Not sure yet though..Does the 12' X 12' work out okay with cutting, etc...??? Also, today,  I am headed  to find the book, Building Alone.
Tee Cee

Tom

TeeCee,
Do a search for Jaw Horse. Menaards sells them for about $180. It's such a help when working alone.

JavaMan

Quote from: TeeCee19 on July 26, 2010, 01:52:58 PM
Hey guy..Loving your post so far. You and I seem to be in agreement with building a storage shed first. It will be my first build EVER. Im nervous and yet anxious. My post is titled Oldest Town in East Texas. Your postings will be sorta a "guide" for me. No pressure..LOL..anyway..looks great so far...My shed might be a tad smaller..8' X 10'. Not sure yet though..Does the 12' X 12' work out okay with cutting, etc...??? Also, today,  I am headed  to find the book, Building Alone.

The 12' X 12' works great for 16" center studs because it's a multiple of 4' (3 * 16" = 48") ... makes the math a bit easier.  But the 8' section of yours will work out great - I would guess that the 10' wall will just need a bit more math.

I'll try not to let the pressure get to me  ;) 

As far as building the shed first, it was more a matter of finances and necessity - lack of finances made it necessary to build this smaller building first.  I would have built the first cabin right away if I'd had more than $1000 in the budget to start with.  Of course, this has goon over that budget by a few hundred  :), but that's ok.

Just keep plugging away - and the "Working Alone" book is excellent, BTW.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on July 25, 2010, 08:09:48 PM
Quote from: JavaMan on July 25, 2010, 07:49:25 PM

Might be able to make that -- kinda far out though!  But don't let me forget -- maybe Josh and I can treck out around then :D

That would be great Erik, The more the merrier!

It definitely will be the weekend of 9/11 - I hope to head up Friday from work.  Speaking of which, after slightly over 9 months being out, this work stuff is way too much like ... well, ... WORK!

My office is 1.2 miles from the ferry (which I walk each way, every day so far), so my feet are a bit sore this week - but I've lost 4 pounds already!  So by the time I get back up there, I will have plenty of energy and be back in shape (wait, "round" is a shape, isn't it?)!

Today the Celebrity Cruise was in - and my office overlooks the dock ...

JavaMan

It has really been awhile!

Well, work has had me running a bit ragged what with getting started, learning the environment, etc... and gettiing dumped into the  deep end of the pool ... finally I'm able to come up for a breath of air!  But I love what I'm doing!

Anyway, just thought I'd put up a reminder to the Okanogan gang that I'm up at the Ranch on the weekend of the 11th.  I plan on trying to make it there in the evening on Friday, with work beginning on Saturday morning.  So if you're going to volunteer to help, I will meet anyone that wants to, down at the lumber yard in the city of Okanogan (can't remember the name right now, but I'm sure google can find it).  I plan on getting to the restraunt next door for b'fast, and then heading up - about 9-ish.

If you want it, PM me for my cell phone # and you can call me of you need better directions or are running late.

Thanks to those that are willing to help ... I am planning on a great meal once the work is done on Saturday (and of course, there will be lunch, too)!

JavaMan

Well, today at about noon I am heading for the Ranch ... anyone that wants to join me should IM for my cell # :D

Hopefully, I'll get most of the roof on (at least the rafters so I can put a tarp up there for the winter)

Sadly, the new job is putting a crimp in my construction plans because I'm not heading up on Thursday like I used to be able to when I wasn't expected to be at the office :-[

I've parked the truck and trailer in front of the office so security can keep an eye on it, and will have to go down and feed the meter(s) every couple hours... oh joy!  But with a 6'6" height restriction in the parking garage, I don't have much choice!  I think my truck is just over that height.

Anyway, I will post pics when I return - altho, it just dawned on me, they will be crummy phone pics since I forgot the camera! (I did remember the new compressor and oil  ;D)

OlJarhead

Good luck!  I wish we could be there to help but I still don't have my Jeep back.  I'm told it will be done this afternoon, then I have to take it to Les Swab to get the brakes checked and fixed (under warranty) and then finally, maybe by Tuesday or Wednesday next week) I'll be able to head back to the cabin and get back to work!

So good luck, be safe and take pics!

JavaMan

I made it back in one piece, and had some welcome help from diyfrank (and his lovely wife).  Sadly, there was much to do - the front of the place had settled a bit and we had to jack it up to get it square and level again.  Then, one wall wasn't quite plumb, so we managed to get that all straightened out.

Finally we attempted the rafters.  Of course, by this time we only had a couple hours left, and managed to get 4 rafters (and the ridge board) up.

Pictures to come once I get them off the phone.

Thanks again to Frank and his wife who were willing to do the high work.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on September 13, 2010, 11:11:17 AM
I made it back in one piece, and had some welcome help from diyfrank (and his lovely wife).  Sadly, there was much to do - the front of the place had settled a bit and we had to jack it up to get it square and level again.  Then, one wall wasn't quite plumb, so we managed to get that all straightened out.

Finally we attempted the rafters.  Of course, by this time we only had a couple hours left, and managed to get 4 rafters (and the ridge board) up.

Pictures to come once I get them off the phone.

Thanks again to Frank and his wife who were willing to do the high work.

Awesome!  Sorry I missed the party :(  The Jeep is still in the shop but I'm hopeful it will be done today -- when is your next trip?

JavaMan

I'm not sure when the next trip will be.

Between work, and the kids and the wife, I'm going to be kept fairly busy through the beginning of October.  I might get up there mid-October, weather permitting.  everything I hear says that it's going to be an early, and wet winter, which means the place will be snowed in early this year (I hope not, tho)

JavaMan

Just because the schedule is uncertain doesn't mean that the planning quits!

I think I have determined that I am going to build the entire "second floor" - it was going to be a loft over 1/2 of it, but in thinking about how I'm going to go about putting the rest of the roof up and everything else that I want to happen with the "Shed" I have decided that I am going to just make it a full loft and be done with it.

However, that means that I need to figure out how/where to put the "stairs" and all the fun stuff that goes along with stairs.  Which is going to be a trip in a 12' X 12' building.  Yeah, they probably aren't going to be code, but I read someplace that they don't need to be if they are leading to a loft with a floorspace of less than 200 ft sq.  Since this will only be 144 ft sq, I guess that qualifies.  So, what I need to do regardless of how narrow or steep they are going to be, is figure out how to frame for them!

I figure that I will only need to interrupt one of the floor joists for the stairwell, so that means that I will need to figure out how to support the end(s) of that joist that would otherwise simply hang out in space.

One good thing about this, I think, is that I can plan the stairs to that they will come up into the loft in the center where it will be easier to stand upright.

I figure I am going to put them against the back wall, running up in the same direction as the joists run.

Anyone have any tips on framing the top of the stairs in?

Bob S.

do you think a bump out for a U shaped stair would work in this scenario best?

jdejarn

It's almost worthwhile looking into a fold-down option, either an attic ladder or a hinged walk-up with pulleys to raise it.  I thought about both in my initial designs, then decided to build a 2-angle stairway in a corner.  At 16X20 there is room and the dogs will be able to manage it better.  That or build narrow up a back wall and fill in the underside with shelves, open face storage, whatever.

I have seen stairs built like blocks as a 10" rise and run in a very tight area and use the underside as storage or even a small kitchen or food prep underneath.

Tom

Just keep in mind that the tighter you build it, the harder it will be to get furniture up there.
Looking forward to seeing it

JavaMan

Quote from: Bob S. on September 22, 2010, 09:07:08 PM
do you think a bump out for a U shaped stair would work in this scenario best?

Nope, no can do - the walls are already in place and it would be more work that I think it's worth to put a bumpout in at this point.  Had I thought I was going to do this to begin with, I probably would have done something like that, tho

JavaMan

Quote from: jdejarn on September 22, 2010, 11:37:12 PM
It's almost worthwhile looking into a fold-down option, either an attic ladder or a hinged walk-up with pulleys to raise it.  I thought about both in my initial designs, then decided to build a 2-angle stairway in a corner.  At 16X20 there is room and the dogs will be able to manage it better.  That or build narrow up a back wall and fill in the underside with shelves, open face storage, whatever.

I have seen stairs built like blocks as a 10" rise and run in a very tight area and use the underside as storage or even a small kitchen or food prep underneath.

This is sort of the plan.  I like the option of the fold down, and I'll look into it, but I think a "normal" stairs will be a bit better - altho it will be a bit narrower and steeper.

I'm not too worried about getting furniture up there - mainly it's just a place that I want to keep clear to throw a sleeping bag and a mat down (or inflatable mattress).

SkagitDrifter

I will be building something like this for the access to our loft...

http://alwardwoodworking.com/images/stairway_7alarge.jpg

To fit a set of stairs in a 12x12 room is going to be tight.
Our footprint is 20x30 and I still don't want to give up the floor space for a staircase.
Something to think about.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

MountainDon

That's a nice looking ladder. I don't think they can be called stairs.  To me stairs are something that can be walked up or down. When it's so steep that going down forwards in the normal manner would be dangerous or impossible it becomes a ladder.     Maybe an elevator would be better suited to a 12x12.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.