My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Looking good Don.  I am about ready to start  mine. What are you doing the next weekend?  Oh I saw putting in the shower. Never mind i'll do it.  :(

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on October 20, 2008, 08:14:22 PM

#1: Well, this past weekend I didn't do too much other than screw up the drywall.

a) Oh the drywall screw up? It's like.. I screwed the drywall up to the studs.  ;D ;D 

b) Did I have ya' wondering for even a moment?

... looking at west wall; the wall that will receive T&G soon...

#2: We've been spending money like a sailor on leave

#1: Screwed up eh , yer clever ;)

a)  Will those butt joints over the door and window sides tend to crack , maybe those are walls you'll be covering with the T&G.

b)  Ah ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No  ;)

#2: Sailor on liberty,  we tend to not spend as much on leave , leaves is generally a longer period of time so you tend to spend in a more controlled fashion . Liberty as in when the ship is visiting a port generally is a shorter period and liberty is "off normal working hours" so we ( sailors ) tend to compress that short spending period by quickly going thru the money or  "spending like a sailor on liberty". And in Foreign ports your spending "funny money"  in other words,  the currency of the nation your visiting , so your not familiar with the bills and coins so it REALLY easy to blow the dough rofl

Ah those where the days.  ;)   

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

Peg I was sort of hoping you would make the comment about the door & windows and the pieces of drywall.  I figure you would get away with it.

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on October 20, 2008, 08:35:01 PM

a)  Will those butt joints over the door and window sides tend to crack , maybe those are walls you'll be covering with the T&G.

MTL.   :-[    That wall at the end, bathroom doorway, is a pocket door though so no door slamming to deal with. It is one I want to cover with T&G at some point, maybe at a diagonal. Maybe use some of the thinner stuff. I was down to my last cut off pieces (should have bought an extra sheet  d*). And 24 inch OC makes it just a tad more difficult to spread the joints around, away from window corners when you're dealing with large windows.

Spending "funny money"... I know I got taken in some countries (that will remain unnamed) ... but it took too long for me to figure it out.  >:(  

John, never worry about commenting, second guessing, laughing....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

soomb

always the most tidy job site.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Redoverfarm

soomb I believe you will have to thank Don's DW for that.  We have the proof in print.   

Maybe that will help you out on the earlier comment Don.  ;D

soomb

yes, after all it is a woman's world and we just serve.  8)
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

MountainDon

Paul, I stand being corrected on liberty vs. leave.  :-[  I meant liberty, but not being a sailor I screwed up the terminology.  :-[  I was thinking of the bar crawling, sight seeing, womanizing, in a foreign port sort of thing, not that you've ever done any of that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OldDog

Don

I was in the Army but I did all of the above  :)

Don't feel like it any more!
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

glenn kangiser

hmm ....  My dad was Navy.  Seems I recall he said they were guarding merchant ships going to Alaska.  I remember him saying they would rotate their guns around toward the girls on shore to scare them and give them a thrill. ::)  Hey - look at that sailor with the huge weapon.  :o

I remember that my mom wasn't too happy when one of those girls dropped by the house years later to see if he was still able to aim his gun. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Don... throw out that piece of junk woodstove you bought.  This is the one you need:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/for/890480450.html

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Looks like a varations of the double drum stoves.  They do heat a large space rather quickly but burn up the wood just as fast. ;D

MountainDon

That's a home brew one for certain

Here it is (I had to save it for posterity)

... be good for a big big cave. or barn

Woodswalker

That's not a stove, it's a still!

glenn kangiser

My grandpa knew how to run one of those...count me in.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Making one is not that difficult. Not getting arrested for it may be another thing.

ScottA

That's the tricky part. Count me in too.  d*

glenn kangiser

You need to know the judge.  In grandpa's case, the revenuer got laughed out of court - actually it was for beer - as he was stalled at the front door the beer was being poured down the sink by grandma and others in the back -- it went to a mud hole in the field.  The revenuer took a sample of the beer mud to court and the judge laughed at him and sent him on his grinchy little way.

All for want of an approved tax stamp and the end of prohibition.  Where is a good Boston Tea Party when you need one? hmm

ScottA

Tea party? I thought we were making booze.  :-[

glenn kangiser

Lets make what we want - tell them it's tea if they ask and give them a tour of the chicken coop via the roofing repair supply room.

MountainDon

Today federal law allows an individual to make up to 100 gallons of beer a year (200 gallons per family) as long as it is for personal use. States can over ride those figures. Also in some places it might be legal to sell the beer making supplies, but illegal to make beer. Go figure.  d*

Ditto on wine.

Stills are another matter, but if one had a place in the boonies and kept it for their own use... it would still be illegal, but maybe not likely to be caught.  ???

MountainDon

MountainDon

Yet another weekend gone.  :(

I drove up Friday night and got a fire going in the stove. Saturday AM it was warm enough, 70 degrees, to get on with drywall taping/jointing. I had some left over "hot mud" setting compound and used it on a couple spots where there were wider areas to fill. It saved a lot of time; instead of waiting for regular compound to dry, it sets chemically in about 45 minutes.  :)

After a morning of taping and filling I moved outside after lunch. I began the hardi panel siding. I'd bought a pair of Solo Sider siding installation hangers/tools.

The adjustment feature made it very easy to correct for any slight panel width differences. And as I was working alone, they made the job possible. Without them there's no way one person could hang the siding without resorting to homemade Rube Goldberg setups.

So by this afternoon I have the drywall completed. At least I'll know for certain when I return. I think all it needs now is a little light sanding here and there.  :)

I also used up the 25 hardi planks I picked up (12 ft x 12" wide). I have most of the north wall done and some of the west wall.

Here's a general view of the "homestead area"...

I also split some firewood and made a small pile of kindling from 2x cutoffs.

Whitlock

Looks good Don [cool] I love it when I get to start siding the exterior of a cabin it makes me feel like the building can't be that far from being done and secure [cool]

ED: fixed the "cool" emoticons code to allow them to show - MD
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

Don that place could pass as a national park. They charge money to get into most of them now. Good progress on the cabin.