Anyway to post pics other than photobucket?

Started by Captain, March 05, 2009, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

We have been working on a timber frame, 2 story home in Ohio. I am super excited to share pictures and info but do not want to use photobucket. Any other way?
I am a novice at computers so would appreciate help. Thanks

rwanders

??? Just curious-----why not photobucket?  It's free and not difficult to use.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

I have only used photobucket; have had no significant problems. Some other services do not allow image posts to forums. Some other services require the viewer to migrate to their own site which I look upon as an inconvenience.  I'm also curious about why you prefer to not use photobucket. I have heard that some people can not access it through their work computer, but I respect the employers right to limit the use of the business owned computers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

Quote from: MountainDon on March 05, 2009, 05:04:13 PM
.....I'm also curious about why you prefer to not use photobucket.

From Photobucket's terms of use   Emphasis mine.  You give up a lot of rights.

6.1  Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content's privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable.

MountainDon

Same for Picasaweb you maintain ownership but give them rights, IIRC.  It may not be desirable, but there it is.   ??? :-\   MTL, it's in all the fine print for all those services.

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

Exactly.  That's what is wrong with all the free services I've seen.

And while they say you retain copyright, it's about worthless after posting on one of those sites.  You have granted a licenses to use the image to every user of the site.  If they make any changes at all they could conceivably claim a copyright on the new derivative work based on the legally obtained original image.

Pictures like Glenn's during the fire had marketable value.  Posting them on a site like photobucket reduces that value to virtually zero.  That's ok as long as the people who use those services are aware of it.  Another pic that comes to mind was an outstanding tornado pic one of the members posted. I remember thinking that the tornado pic could have been worth some real money if the file was large enough for more than web use.

rwanders

Seems to me that the obvious solution is to not post images you think may have some commercial value----I doubt if any of the pictures of my cabin I have posted through photobucket would be of value to anyone other than me.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

We have had trouble with Picasa - they cut off posting to our forum after a couple showings IIRC.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.