16'x16' 12/12 pitch - are 8' walls enough?

Started by Source_to_Sea, April 09, 2009, 12:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Source_to_Sea

This is for a little cabin to be built before the bigger place. I'd love to stick with 8' walls and still sleep in the loft. It looks do-able on paper, but I'd like some input. Difficulty: I'm 6'3"

Basically, I want to get this thing up and us in it a quick as possible. The higher you go, the slower the build from my experience.

pagan

I imagine if you don't mind crawling into the loft it'll be fine.

Source_to_Sea

Should have been clearer. This will be for a straw bale cabin, and 16x16 are the interior dimensions. The outside dimensions where the rafters fall are around 19x19. That should give about 5 feet in the middle of the loft a height of 7' or more if my back of the napkin calcs are right.

Lotta dead space up there, but we'll need the storage for books, etc that wouldn't fare too well in a 20' shipping container.

This is still on paper, and I'm open for suggestions. We're deliberately not making this too comfortable, just to make sure the bigger house (1,000 square foot or so) actually gets built.

John_M

I don't see 10' walls being any harder to put up than 8' walls.  Shouldn't take any longer!!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

ScottA

I'd do 9' walls. But I'm just difficult.  d*

diyfrank

Quote from: Source_to_Sea on April 09, 2009, 12:13:39 PM
I'd love to stick with 8' walls and still sleep in the loft. It looks do-able on paper, but I'd like some input. Difficulty: I'm 6'3"

Do you sleep standing up?
Home is where you make it

Redoverfarm

Source_to_Sea

8 vs 10' was more thinking in getting bales up, plastering, etc. Honestly, both of us hate lofts, so we'll probably just go 1 story, 16x16 (or 20) and call it a day. We've already lived in a yurt that was smaller than that, and we'll have some extra storage to work with this time.

Hell, we've lived in a tent for months at a time and didn't kill each other. I'm just getting soft. d*

John Raabe

If 16" is the interior width and you have 2' wide bales you should have a pretty usable loft.

Here's a quick sketch.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

ken ray

Quote from: Source_to_Sea on April 09, 2009, 12:13:39 PM
This is for a little cabin to be built before the bigger place. I'd love to stick with 8' walls and still sleep in the loft. It looks do-able on paper, but I'd like some input. Difficulty: I'm 6'3"

Basically, I want to get this thing up and us in it a quick as possible. The higher you go, the slower the build from my experience.

Hi my name is Ken. I built a 16x16 with a 12/12 pitch also. I added 2 foot to my walls to get more headroom in my loft, but you could 9 foot ceiling's in bottom.

rwanders

I've never heard anyone complain that they had too much space in their loft-----but often heard them wish they had a little more. I would go with 10' walls.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

suburbancowboy

I am just finishing a 12 X 16 with 10 foot wall and a 12 - 12 pitch roof.  Go with 10 foot walls. The extra cost is small and you will never regret the extra space.  I am 6 feet tall and the top of the celling in the up stairs is about 8 feet.  I figure the extra cost to be about 5 percent.