Odd Electrical Problem

Started by Cyric30, October 26, 2007, 05:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

QuoteI was a aviation electrician  in the USN we had many loose wire
After walking through a C-5 at the air show I can't even imagine trying to sort out a problem in that maze of wiring. Of course that's a little bigger than an  A-6 or EA-6B

MountainDon

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I think that's it.

peg_688

After walking through a C-5 at the air show I can't even imagine trying to sort out a problem in that maze of wiring. Of course that's a little bigger than an EA-6B

Ya but a C-5 has a much easier life, it doesn't go from  zero to 138 kts in 300 or so feet and it doesn't land from 128 kts to zero in about that same 300 feet  and there's room to put stuff where a guy can get at it and see it , mostly I'm sure the moron engineer's who designed the C-5 have found some "hell holes" to stuff box's in .
Nor does the C-5 operate in a salt water environment where sea water is crashing over the bow drenching the A/C in salt water , and what does salt water and metal cause class? Right corrosion and is corrosion  our friend ?? No I don't think so !

So in other words those Air Force pukes have it way easier then a sailor , they get better perdeum ( sp can't spell that one )  as well , plus better quarters , air fields , PX's etc , Hey why I'd join the navy ;D Ta see the world , that's why and that did work out pretty well , really :)

Boy this guys goin be pissed three driftmasters at work here  :-[  Oh well  ;D

glenn-k

That is why my plane has been in the shop for 6 years- corrosion -- - that and I don't especially want to pay what it will cost to fix it. :(

peg_688

QuoteThat is why my plane has been in the shop for 6 years- corrosion -- - that and I don't especially want to pay what it will cost to fix it. :(

That's partly what did in the A-6 as well, well that and carring huge pay loads of bombs in Veitnam , along with flyin on and off the ship , stressed the wing roots. Thatand jinking around SAM tryin to rip the wings off to avoid them , all in all the A-6 was a workhorse of a jet, the F-18 will never be the worker it was.  

MountainDon

We had a walk through an E-3 too. Now that must be stuffed with more cables than you'd want to deal with. Nothing in the open either like the C-5. Not close enough to any water to have the Navy here. Lot's of Air Force around the state though.

peg_688

We had a walk through an E-3 too. Now that must be stuffed with more cables than you'd want to deal with. Nothing in the open either like the C-5. Not close enough to any water to have the Navy here. Lot's of Air Force around the state though.

Did you mean a E-2 Hawkeye , the hummer as it's known in the fleet?

There's a few sub groups that take care of wiring at least in the navy ,  Aviation Electrician's (AE's ) take care of power supply ,  interior / ext. lighting , basic pilot instrumentation , AOA  angle Of Attach, attitude , etc and power TO other ratings equipment say air conditioning , radios , jammers pods etc . So all the wires aren't one rating problems although the AE's do have to "prove" proper power , phase , amps , volts etc is delivered to the other guys stuff.

So a AE much like a carpenter on a house needs to , or should get to know a little about evryone else stuff :) At least if your good at it you will.  

So how far should we drift?  ;D

Make a ready deck !  Hawkeye next on the ball !

MountainDon

QuoteDid you mean a E-2 Hawkeye
E-3 Sentry, a Boeing 727 with the big dish on top. The airman I talked with said they came in from Tinker AFB in OK.

glenn-k

Seems we have been getting the words, electric or wiring in 1 out of 5 postings or so.   That should keep the censors happy. :)

MountainDon

One thing I found interesting was that each of the 4 engines has a 1 megawatt electric generator and wiring to provide the power needed for the radar.

MountainDon

Glenn, maybe I should mention there were a couple B-1B's as well. The one on static display had the bomb bay doors open so we could see the mounts for the bombs.  Then there were some dummy missiles . They did an arming display showing how the missiles were loaded onto the aircraft.  ;D That was done on an F-117

peg_688

QuoteOne thing I found interesting was that each of the 4 engines has a 1 megawatt generator to provide the power needed for the radar.

A Prowler EA-6B has two one on each engine, they both can run all the needed A/C power needs , Sunstrand, gennerator that put out 115 VAC,  3  phase , 400 htz,  28 VDC and 26 VDC are also converted from thos etwo bad boys . It also has a Ram Air Turbine  ( RAT)  that deploys on top of the port wing that can provide emergency power to run interior / ext. lighting and basic flight instrumation .

Each  jammer POD  has it's own RAT , a Prowler can carry up to 5 jammer POD's  , generally they carry two  Jammer POD's , and three fule drop tanks that carry 2000 lbs of JP-5 , the A/C it self carries 17,400 LBS of fuel in the mains and wing tanks , so a basic fuel load is  called a 19.4 load, take off weight is about 54,000 LBS.

A A-6 with a full bomb load plus fuel had to be around close to 60,000 or maybe 70,000 LBS. I never worked on A-6' s so I'm guessing a little on that take off weight.

With Smart bombs those loads would be less, a F-18 is a lot lighter as well.        

MountainDon

Shall we lay off the drift now and maybe Cyric30 will come back with a further report to get this thread back on topic?  :D

I do like aircraft though.

I better say G'Nite.  

glenn-k

G'nite -- and Cyric, please report back on the electrical problem. :)

Cyric30

Hay All Update here

Ok best i could tell it was a bad plug-in i replaced 3 that i found that where suspect and its been 2 days with no power outages so im really hoping its fixed now :p

Thank you all for your help :)

PA-Builder

The receptacles are probably OK.  If they were back-stab connected (holes on the back where you just push a wire in), you should be good if you just connect the wires to the screws on the side of the receptacle.   Like the breaker, I wouldn't throw these away either.

Cyric30

the ones i replaced where screw types and i also replaced them with screw types i dont know what was wrong But its been 3 days now and still got power :)

PA-Builder

OK.  Sounds like you solved your problem . . .     :)