security systems

Started by okie-guy, August 05, 2007, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

This thread reminds me of a true story from Miami.  

There was a clothing shop owner in a questionable neighborhood named (I forgot his first name) Rasheed.   Seems his shop had been burglarized several times, and each times the "choirboys" had removed the AC unit on the roof and come in through the hole.

The police weren't any help so Mr. Rasheed rigged up some chicken wire inside the metal ductwork and attached it to a 110 outlet.  Anyone touching the chicken wire and the ductwork would get a nasty shock.  Mr. Rasheed came to work one day & found one choirboy dead in the ductwork.  He was arrested and the DA presented a case to the grand jury trying to get him indicted for murder.  The grand jury refused to hand down an indictment.

Sometimes justice works.

peter nap

Quote.... scum-of-the-earth, the low-down good for nothing miscreant / vandal / burglar / thief....

By golly, I think I like you! :-*
I'd just add hound running, Hunt Club SOB's....to the list! >:(

C.White

I've lived in the country in secluded places for decades now.  When you're on the property, big, barking dogs help, but gates can be walked around.  I even lock my gates when I'm home to keep them guessing.    
Once, I left to go pick my kids up at school, was gone about 20 minutes, came home, and my shop had been broken into.  The nail gun, and a toolbox of my Dad's (sentimental memory) had been stolen that time.    The great dane was looking confused at best.  Turns out it was the neighbors who lived at the end of my long driveway, but I never could prove it.  I was robbed 6 times on that property before I finally gave up and sold it.  I was living there the whole time too.

I have found that the best security is to come popping out of the house at all hours of the night, hair in a tangled mess in a nightgown with a 20 gauge shot gun.  

MountainDon

Back home in the 70's I lived in a warehouse building with my hobby race car. To deter theft I had rigged up the one door that was easiest looking to break in through with a falling steel bar and block mechanism that would fire a 12 ga. shotgun shell (shot removed... just a big noise maker for the scary effect).

When my store was broken into I mentioned to my firms lawyer that maybe I should install something like it at the store he strongly advised against it (& advocated removal of the one in the warehouse). He ran through a litany of similar situations where people had been sued/indicted for just having "nefarious" devices in place.

So I took down the shotshell gizmo.  The warehouse was never broken into, the store was twice more. A concrete block through the front door glass both times. Then we installed ironwork.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PA-Builder

This works for me:

HOME SECURITY SYSTEM (SOUTHERN STYLE):

1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16 work boots.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of "Guns and Ammo" and a bunch of old NRA magazines.

3. Put a giant dog dish next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on your door.... "Hey Bubba - Big Mike, Slim, "Tiny" and I went for more ammunition.  Back in an hour.  Don't mess with the Pitbulls.  They attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up pretty bad.  I don't think Killer took part in it but I locked all four of them in the cabin.  Better wait outside."

glenn kangiser

I have found that the best security is to come popping out of the house at all hours of the night, hair in a tangled mess in a nightgown with a 20 gauge shot gun.  

I'll go ya one better, Christina.  I usually come running out naked with a 30.06 ;D  

Scares the hell out of 'em.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

You come running out naked Glenn, and you can dispense with the gun!  ;D ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I don't hear anyone asking for pictures. :o

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

PA-Builder, your way sounds pretty good.  

I think mine may be effective if I happen to be home though. :-/

peter nap

Okie_Bob

How about this one a friend of mine has on his gate:

Trespassers will be shot on sight!
Survivors will be persecuted!
(or was it prosecuted?)
OKie Bob

tanya

You can also get some big rocks that are almost impossible to roll, put them in the drive way when you leave, drop several about every hundred feet or so.  When you get back you can move them out of the way but theives are pretty lazy that is why they are theives so they wont want to move the rocks and they don't like to carry thier loot a long way, and also if the rocks are moved your neighbors will know someone is up there, they might just go check it out.  
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Mikelopic

that is one of our conserns...trespassers,vandels.
 We have gates,locks posted signs,unfortunatly people do things that is just not right. I put up motion cameras about 4 years ago,for wildlife.great pictures of deer ,turkey coyotes etc.  then came the quads, snow mobiles,hunters .One camera was shot out,and I had the other camera facing the one that was shot.I got a picture of the back of someone shooting the camera,very frustating.  Then some satisfaction, I caught a man on a quad riding on my property NUDE.... clear shot, and I could reconize the person....I went to the nystate troopers with the picture and was told I could have him arrested..or confront him..well...I chose to confront him.I told him to stay of my property or I would press chargers. so far so good,no more nudists :o

glenn kangiser

It's a much more difficult trick on a Honda 70, Mike ---  :-/

glenn kangiser