Peeling pine log and sap question

Started by CjAl, March 28, 2013, 09:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CjAl

Today the bark peeled like butter. I did four times as much in 1/4 the time. Of course i havent planed it off yet.

But the reason the bark just about fell off is that therd is a ton of bug activity under the bark. I hit huge patcbes of larve.

Now i just need to cut it and flip it to do the other sode and get it off the ground. Waiting for my neighbor to gdt home to barrow his saw

CjAl

My new to me toy. It cost me a .357 magnum (not full cost) but i am back to work

Sitting here sharpening the chain, this baby cuts like butter.

Don_P

Much more effective on trees :)
I am partial to that color.
I got my bar back at 10:53 Friday nite. I heard the tree finally drop after 2 days thinking "how long do I have to wait".

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on April 21, 2013, 07:22:25 PM
Much more effective on trees :)
I am partial to that color.
I got my bar back at 10:53 Friday nite. I heard the tree finally drop after 2 days thinking "how long do I have to wait".

Surely didn't get it stuck.  Does anyone ever use wedges anymore?

Don_P

Umm, one of my plastic ones is stuck in a log at the mill, the other is in the truck, but even so I've made them with the saw in the woods. So yup, et up with the dumb butt d*. I took the backstrap out and it sat basswards on the saw , doh, read that one wrong, against all logic it kept looking like it wanted to go uphill. It didn't  ::).
I had cut the really nice white oak and it fell as planned, the big ones I'll look at for days or more before actually taking a saw to them. This one was a relatively small but tall locust I was just getting out of the way before dropping a big chestnut oak... that does a full 180 in about 20 feet. I think that'll clear the path to the tower on the next mountain. The old farm use skidder truck decided it had had enough by this afternoon so I sawed up some of the locust logs this afternoon, 2 construction grade 6x6x12' ( very small defects, very little wane), 4 fencepost 6x6x12 and 4 raised bed timbers (6x6's with rotten patches). I also had a couple of short but large maple chunks. Made some live edge thick planks for benches if they dry nice... or stair treads... or dimensional firewood  ;D.

My saw is still "new" to me but it is an old 032, before that I had an 028 that was a nice light saw and an 040 Farm Boss that would massage parts of you you didn't know you had  :D

CjAl

I have no idea how i am going to get that log stood up in the middle of my cabin. Its heavier then i expected. I cut it and rolled it over to peel the last bark off the very bottom side and the sap was just pouring out of it.

Redoverfarm

rofl  Been there and done that.  After a couple times I learned to take along an axe with the saw.  If worse comes to worse I can cut a wedge or start wacking on the tree.   d*

Redoverfarm

Quote from: CjAl on April 21, 2013, 09:34:12 PM
I have no idea how i am going to get that log stood up in the middle of my cabin. Its heavier then i expected. I cut it and rolled it over to peel the last bark off the very bottom side and the sap was just pouring out of it.

Once it dries it will be a lot less weight and more managable. 

CjAl

Yes i thought it was much drier. The top side was dry, aparantly all the sap ran to the bottom. I think i will end up burning my pants from today and i only had a little bit of bark i had already done 2/3 before i cut it off the rest of the tree.

CjAl

I can winch it up in the house with the jeep but getting it stood up will be interesting. Hope my walls are strong. I also thought about cutting it to the height of my floor joists, builting the loft floor on top of it then putting the top section on to hold the ridge beam. I could notch it so it would just look like the floor joist is notched into the front of the log.

Don_P

Once the roof is framed and sheathed you can harden up the surrounding framing, put some temporary posts under the ridge, set them over joists not just ply, and wrap a strap around the ridge for a pick point.

On my locust friend, after the pinch I started with the buck saw but it was now a leaner and was looking like a barber chair, I'm getting too old to fly. Got the pole saw and had it cut to where I thought it was just hanging on a little shear wood, but there was actually about a 1x4 of hinge and no open faced notch on the back where it had leaned to. The wind would surely get it, it was those gusts before the rain the other night. Soo, a tension failure, it had to pull that 1x4 apart.

Different barks and the attachment are neat. The maple if you get the knife under the edge btween bark and wood just pops off right now. A little sweet water left on the smooth rippled wood surface, none of that sticky slimy inner pine bark. Then there's the locust inner bark. One homeowner said "it smells like death!", and she wasn't far wrong. The sweet birch is a favorite, wintergreen smell.

I've saved a couple of neat pitch pockets while playing recently, need to scan them. One is a resin pocket in eastern redcedar, the other is in the wood of a red spruce, nearly clear resin. I need to figure out how they are making counterfeit amber  :D.

Spring is popping here,
Apples bloomed today, pears and cherries are full bloom, the poplars are leafing.

CjAl

Problem is i planned to use this to support my ridge beam so i could use two 16' built up beams instead of having to find a 32' beam. So i konda need to get it up before i frame the roof. I think i have a method that will work.

flyingvan

I didn't see any mention in this discussion between the differences of sap and resin.....

There are some good uses for resin----incense is one.  Saving a jar of really clear stuff is great for deeper cuts---you glue yourself back together with it (I uses a tongue depressor applicator) it's designed to kill germs---never got an infection.  I understand you can make a pretty decent glue by grinding ashes and dried pines needles into a flour and mixing it with the resin
Find what you love and let it kill you.

MountainDon

Quote from: Don_P on April 21, 2013, 07:22:25 PM

I just left a standing dead pine and an aspen all caught up in neighboring branches this morning. The pine was too skinny for a wedge and the old dead aspen "broke" and set back before I could get deep enough for a wedge. I left the bar and chain there, but have a spare bar for that reason.  ;D  Hate it when that happens. I'm hoping for lots of winds over the next two weeks. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

Half way there. At least its up on the house off the grou d and under a cover. I put my 12' canopy over it.

CjAl

Hey guys.  I decided to take the other sections of log in had on the ground and cut them into 4x6 beams for loft floor joists using my chainsaw mill.  Turned out better then I expected but the logs I pushed to get as many beams as possible I got a bit closer tothe bark and there is pockets in them with bBeatles large and bugs.  I am finding little piles of sawdust around them.  How much do I have to worry about this and how do I kill them?  I work at Lowes and looked for some borax but can't find any.  Is there anything else I can do?

CjAl

Btw I went through with a small drill but and cleaned out as much of the holes as I could.  Dug out lots of larve. But I want to make certain I didn't miss any and there is also a lot of small pin holes in a few of them and have no idea what's in there