Garden thread.

Started by peg_688, April 12, 2006, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourx

It certainly does. Did all the rocks come from onsite, Glenn? The land visable in the background looks green and not at all rocky.

MountainDon

I think Glenn has underground rocks, just like his house.   :)

glenn-k

Thanks, guys.  Pete, --you are looking at a good spot - a place where the grass has grown tall enough to cover the rocks hidden behind it.

Our land runs from 1/3 to 4/3  :o  green andesite  and claystone with a 0' to 5'  layer of soil on top averaging about 2' of soil overall between rocks.  Rocks average 1 to 2 feet in size for the most part but actually range from pebble size to larger than a truck.

I saved topsoil from making a flat spot on the other side of the hill by my sawmill, and put it under the compost.  The larger rocks I placed today probably averaged 300 to 400 lbs.

glenn-k

QuoteI think Glenn has underground rocks, just like his house.   :)

Even my rocks have rocks, Don.

Our county has miles of rock fences built by the Chinese during the gold rush days.  Over 150 year old dry stack walls and fences still standing - some falling over but many are not.

MountainDon

Just like in Merry Olde England.... walls lining all the quaint country lanes... just laying there waiting for an errant speeding cyclist/motorist to run into.  :'(  I don't know what made me think of that?  :-/

glenn-k

Almost sounds like a voice of experience. :-?

MountainDon

Almost would be correct... Have you heard of the Isle of Man Grand Prix or TT (motorcycle races)? It's run around the (closed for the event) public roads around the island. Stone walls, 3 - 4 foot diameter trees, houses and country pubs all within inches of the road course.... mountain roads with no guardrails.... and the most breathtaking scenery, most wonderful experience to roar around. Never saw an accident, tho' they did happen, never had one, tho' it was dicey. The year I was there one guy ran headon into a tree and died. I believe they still have the TT (pro race) but the Grand Prix (amateur/sportsman) is no longer. Maybe they all got killed off.

But there are roads like that all over England and the thought of running into them never left me I guess. ( Had an old Suzuki X6 and an old Bedford van over there.

Standing on a walljust like that one to take picture
how did a motorcycle end up in the garden? :-/

fourx

What size will the total garden end up being, Glenn?
Hey, take heart, Mr President- all those Arabs couldn't kill Laurence Of Arabia, but a motercycle, and stone wall and a narrow English lane did the job just as well...just don't get on any motercycles.
How about a pond? Is that on the drawing board?

MountainDon

Quote- all those Arabs couldn't kill Laurence Of Arabia, but a motercycle, and stone wall and a narrow English lane did the job just as well...just don't get on any motorcycles.
Vincent Black Shadow... always wanted one of those.

fourx

Almost looks like a Harley moter, doesn't it? It's a V-Twin, same as a Harley?

benevolance

the rockwork is beautimus

I am not going to show that to the wife...She will be like...."why does sassy get all this done to her yard and I get next to nothing ?"

Glenn even inadvertantly you are making me look bad man.... :(

A bobcat would help...I am moving piling my earthen blocks by hand...

Feel like the... "Old stone savage armed" in Robert Frost's "Mending Wall"

Going to read it again...Or recite it from memory and then it is off to dreamland for  me...I get to see my wife tomorrow .. been a week and 2 weeks since I have seen my new house...I am excited

night

glenn-k

Thanks Peter.  I liked the fence my old buddy made out of car hoods too.  Be unique.  Tell her you would never make a car hood fence for any other woman.  She'll love it.  :)

Sassy

Benevolance, I had to be good for 5 years before Glenn would build it...  :-/  Sassy

MountainDon

This morning I read my post and realized I made a factual error... must be getting old.  :-[ :(  T.E.Lawrence (of Arabia) rode Brough Superior (pronounced Bruff Soo-peer-ior) He had a bunch of them, considered the Rolls Royce of motorcycles. They had V-twins as well....

Pete was correct, he did die in a bike crash... took nearly a week to succumb.
But the Vincent was a bike I always coveted. Faster than a Brough. (below)

MountainDon

Unique fences....

Cadillac Ranch, TX  Seems to have become a graffiti target

benevolance

oh my god....never thought I would see anything like that :o

benevolance

Sassy

You are supposed to behave always.... ;) It limits the need for discipline :P

glenn-k

QuoteWhat size will the total garden end up being, Glenn?
Hey, take heart, Mr President- all those Arabs couldn't kill Laurence Of Arabia, but a motercycle, and stone wall and a narrow English lane did the job just as well...just don't get on any motercycles.
How about a pond? Is that on the drawing board?

Sorry - I missed this somehow, Pete. :-/

The new area there is about 20 x 34 feet,  plus the 10 x 15 feet by the tree, plus about 4x20 by the house.  I will probably limit the new to that for now.  The garden on the house roof  is currently about 25 x 60 feet  and 16x21 feet. The strawberrys and misc garden on top of part of the shop roof is about 12 x 18 feet.  The planter box on the front of the RV garage is about 1'6" x 20 feet.  The small rose garden on the other side of the house is about 2' x 20 feet.

I think that covers most of it for now - except the little area planted in edible cactus - is about 10' x 10 feet.  All rough numbers but pretty close.  We have one area over another bathroom that is 12' x 18' feet, but I'll probably phase that one out this year.

The green house area is about 8' x 34' and will eventually have some hydroponics but we have so much growing year round already I don't know when I'll get to that.

We have one frog pond already on the roof of the house, but we brought another small pond liner up here and I have considered putting it in there -- may still get to it. :)

fourx

That's a lot of garden- what is the average rainfall each year in your area, Glenn?

glenn-k

QuoteAlmost would be correct... Have you heard of the Isle of Man Grand Prix or TT (motorcycle races)? It's run around the (closed for the event) public roads around the island. Stone walls, 3 - 4 foot diameter trees, houses and country pubs all within inches of the road course.... mountain roads with no guardrails.... and the most breathtaking scenery, most wonderful experience to roar around. Never saw an accident, tho' they did happen, never had one, tho' it was dicey. The year I was there one guy ran headon into a tree and died. I believe they still have the TT (pro race) but the Grand Prix (amateur/sportsman) is no longer. Maybe they all got killed off.

But there are roads like that all over England and the thought of running into them never left me I guess. ( Had an old Suzuki X6 and an old Bedford van over there.

Standing on a walljust like that one to take picture
how did a motorcycle end up in the garden? :-/

Hadn't heard of the races but have heard of the walls in England.  We saw a movie up here with British artist Andy Goldsworthy making a wall at Storm King Art Center.  He seemed a bit odd but creative - fit right in. :)

http://www.stormking.org/specialexhib_archive.html

Sassy

By Benevolance - You are supposed to behave always.... Wink It limits the need for discipline

:-? ::)

benevolance

Sassy

I hope you believe in behavior modification and discipline...If Not....Then I need to have a serious talk with Glenn ;D

Sassy

Benevolance, I suppose you have your wife perfectly under control??  :D ::) ;) :D

glenn-k

If you can do that , Peter, my hat is off to you.  

You are a much better man than I.... :-/ ;D

benevolance

completely under control......well no

She is still here...that is a good start... ;D I did tell her she was never allowed to leave me :P

I guess you have take what you can get and find a victory wherever you can in life.....

the frustrating thing for me is that my wife tends to let other people walk all over her...I have to tell her to stand up for herself....The only person she seems to stand up to though is ME!!!!!

you cannot win for losing sometimes....

So Glenn I would not start handing out accolades just yet......