Rethinking Security

Started by bayviewps, January 29, 2007, 11:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayviewps

We have a deadbolt on our front door thats not working properly.  It's old and feels loose.  The key doesn't work well.  I wanted to replace with a good quality lock.  

Came across this while seaching for locks - deadbolts.  

http://features.engadget.com/2006/08/24/the-lockdown-locked-but-not-secure-part-i/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/the-lockdown-locked-but-not-secure-part-2/

Researching futher, the Medeco deadbolt is supposedly "Bump Proof".

glenn-k

I saw a video on this a few months back.  Thought I should make up a set of bump keys in case I forget my key. :)  Could come in handy on old locks I have lost my key to.

Locks only keep honest people out.  Hopefully they will also keep out dumb thieves - of which there are a lot or they wouldn't be thieves. :-?

MountainDon

Very interesting articles. I'm more concerned with a brute force attack, rather than someone who's going to finesse my doorlocks.  One of my friends up in the mtns, has a combination lock on the gate to his property. He doesn't actually lock the gate tho' it's closed on a u-bolt that makes it sort of look like he might be home. Then he doesn't even lock the cabin. His theory is that he's so far off the beaten path a dishonest person will just do whatever damage he has to do to get in, and there's nobody around to hear or see it. He just hopes that if an idiot burglar comes along he's smart enough to try the door first, before cutting a hole in it with a chain saw. That happened to me once back home.

martyv

So far I haven't worried to much about security.  We have a dog that barks if anyone comes around, he sleeps just inside the door at night.  I have so much junk that I wouldn't really notice if someone came through and took something.  I would just assume that I misplaced it and it will turn up later... By the time I realized that it likely is gone, it wouldn't matter anymore.

Amanda_931

martyv wrote
QuoteWe have a dog that barks if anyone comes around, he sleeps just inside the door at night.  I have so much junk that I wouldn't really notice if someone came through and took something.  I would just assume that I misplaced it and it will turn up later... By the time I realized that it likely is gone, it wouldn't matter anymore.

I can empathize with both.

My dogs are pretty much worthless as watch dogs.  The two inside guys bark at anything--cars, trucks, and people, we want out, we're hungry, we need attention are all included in the anything.  The outside dogs pay next to no attention to humans and vehicles (although Cherty Pie has threatened to go home with the Fed-Ex guy because he brings treats).  But possums and armadillos--those really get their attention.