stainless steel vs. galvanized (joist hangers)

Started by MikeT, January 26, 2007, 08:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

The subject basically outlines my question.  The stainless steel joist hangers appear to be about four times more expensive than galvanized.  My project site is about 1/3 mile from the beach on the Oregon coast and 180 feet above sea level.  For the joists that will be inside, can I safely go with galvanized?  What about for the deck (outside)?

Thanks,
mt

youngins

Personally, I like what dmlsr/cockergod18 did -

Painted angle iron does wonders....

jraabe

Stainless steel will be the longest lasting choice for deck supports, especially as you will probably be using the new ACQ pressure treated wood that requires either stainless steel or Zmax fasteners.

PS - what is shown above is fine for exposed interior applications but not for an outdoor deck. If you are doing interior joists that will not be exposed, then standard galvanized hangers will be fine unless the place will be exposed to the weather for long periods of time (not a good idea for lots of reasons other than joist hangers).  ;)

peg_688

Down on that coast I'd use stainless outside , 30 lbs felt walls and under the roofing, copper flashing and gutters if you can afford it/ them .

If your going to be a couple of few months before your in the dry I'd use ZMAX on the inside as well. Thats a nasty place , I think almost worst / as bad as /  the Washington coastal area. Beautiful,  yes , but nasty weather :o  

glenn-k

That's where I grew up - that's why I moved to California.  Too wet for me.

BTW Mike - I'll try to drop by in August if I get there.

MikeT

Thanks, folks for your replies.  So I went to the big box store on the way to the coast this weekend, and I bought the LUS210Z joist hangers.   But I noticed on my VC plans that were reviewed/modified by a structural engineer, he called for A35 connectors at the joists.  So am I using an accepable alternative in your opinion?  I would think it is just fine and even a better of a structural upgrade,  but I do not know.

PEG, when you say use ZMAX on the interior, I assume you are referring to the coating on the Simpson products, not using some ZMAX spray on the inside, right?

Glenn, I look forward to sharing what I am doing with you if you are in the area in August.  Hopefully by then I will have my framing inspected and covered, but if my "help" continues at the pace they currently are, I might not be much further along than I am now  :'(

mt

glenn-k

I think that if the other hanger was specified by the engineer and you are having inspections, that it will take a note from the engineer to satisfy the inspector.  You can call him and ask for an RFI (request for information) that he has signed and stamped -- may cost money - then it will go with your plans and a copy to the inspector for his plans at the office as a record of an approved  deviation from the approved plans.

That is the way it is normally handled where the inspector is on the ball.  Most of them will not stick their neck out to approve something other than what the engineer has specified especially if he has made the change from the original.  They will figure there was a reason for the change.

We'll look at whatever you have done, Mike.  :)

Here is a link from John's book reviews -  Working Alone

You may find that you can do a lot of it faster by yourself if you are having help problems.  I've worked by myself a lot over the last 40 years and many times find that alone or with one helper is most efficient.  There are many times when a whole crew can be kept busy but a lot of that depends on how much they know too.

peg_688

#1: Thanks, folks for your replies.

#2:  So I went to the big box store on the way to the coast this weekend, and I bought the LUS210Z joist hangers.  

#3: But I noticed on my VC plans that were reviewed/modified by a structural engineer, he called for A35 connectors at the joists.  

#4: So am I using an accepable alternative in your opinion?

#5:  I would think it is just fine and even a better of a structural upgrade,  but I do not know.

#6: PEG, when you say use ZMAX on the interior, I assume you are referring to the coating on the Simpson products, not using some ZMAX spray on the inside, right?

mt

#1: No problem  :)

#2 : That's good !

#3: Humm I'd call him , that would seem to be a down grade from a full on hanger.

#4: Not if he called out the A-35, your not the engineer. See #2.

#5: I would as well , but see #4.

#6: Yes the ZMAX Simpson hangers , I'm not sure there is a spray on ZMAX coating.  There could be but I've never looked for it , the hanger will be stamped ZMAX and  have a ZMAX stick on label .  I'd make sure it was stamped into the hanger metal , stick on labels can be mis matched , either by a mistake at the plant , or more likely a person who buys regular hangers and "sticks on" ZMAX label to get a higher price when returning stolen or misrepresenting  the hanger they want to return for more $$ than they payed.

G/L PEG :)