Recent posts

General Forum / Re: Garage Ideas
Last post by NathanS - May 23, 2022, 01:58:57 PM
Looks like the wait times aren't as bad as I thought. They are back down to around 15 weeks, which seems way more reasonable than 2023. We decided to do 12 wide by 9 high. This way each side of the door gets a full width sheet of OSB for bracing.

Another thing I'm planning after the block is digging out for the piers on the lean-to. I really want to keep the posts up out of the ground, so it looks like either trench form or slice a 16" sonotube to 8" thickness, pour that with a stick of bent rebar to tie into a 12" sonotube to grade.

I think it is what it is, but it looks like the standard post bracket that goes with an anchor bolt is like $22. Almost as much as the PT post.

Last post by NathanS - May 20, 2022, 03:15:07 AM
I'm going to have to call around to see what kind of wait times I'm looking at.

I need to commit to the width as the block for my 2' stemwalls is getting here today. I am thinking 10-12' wide by 9' tall. I didn't realize they could be rated as high as R19, that is crazy.

I may insulate the stemwalls eventually, but opted not to insulate under the slab. It can be hard to decide where to draw the line when building - you can always do more. I figured the wood stove will fight the slab either way, and to just get a big stove with air tubes that can really push out BTUs fast. The days in the winter where I will have time to be in there all day are few and far between. Mainly will be a few hours here and there.
Last post by Ernest T. Bass - May 19, 2022, 06:41:59 PM
Just got the garage door installed on a pole barn I built last fall.. took most of the winter to get it. It's an 8' door with a standard track, and I was able to install w/ 9' sidewalls. Tight fit.. only a couple inches to the truss, and no garage door opener.
Last post by MountainDon - May 19, 2022, 10:39:27 AM
I can vouch for the shortage on garage doors. We ordered a replacement 5 section overhead, 16 ft wide x 9 ft tall door in early January of 2021. It was finally installed in late July of 2021. R18.8 insulation rating and I love it. Stays warm or cool much better than the old one which had some self added foam in the panels. The new one seals much better too. It is such an improvement I am thinking of installing some more solar panels and putting a mini split in there so I can heat or cool as needed.

I like the floor and the orchard to be.
Last post by NathanS - May 19, 2022, 06:37:42 AM
I was looking at an online retailer for a roll up door - though I dont like the look — the price seemed ok at $1000-2000 depending on options, then they threw another $2300 or so on for delivery! Insulating that style would also be an issue.

I definitely want to heat with a wood stove in the winter. Also dont want a critter free for all.
Last post by jsahara24 - May 19, 2022, 05:10:43 AM
The concrete work looks great! 

As for the sliding doors, I have them on my barn.  My issue is getting them sealed up to try to heat the building in the winter, along with snow/ice building up in the bottom rail.  I am looking to install a more typical garage door in the space that I heat so I can work in the winter with some level of comfort. 

I don't know much about garage doors, but they do make some that stay pretty tight to the ceiling, however I'm sure the cost goes up quickly assuming you can even get them!

Good luck...
Last post by NathanS - May 19, 2022, 03:49:04 AM
Also, since it's raining today, I am wondering if anyone has thoughts or ideas for garage/workshop doors.

Standard garage doors are 7' tall — too short for my tractor roll bar and I don't like the idea that I'm a building 10' ceiling that will have those metal track rails down at 8'. Last thing, the standard doors mostly look like they are on back order until 2023 and I'm obviously not waiting that long.

I was thinking of just doing sliding barn doors around 10' x 10'. Only thing I'm worried about there is if snow and ice blocks the bottom of the door from sliding in the winter. Similar concern if I did outswing doors. It looks like I could also adapt a motor to open and close the doors for when I use them.
Last post by NathanS - May 19, 2022, 03:03:42 AM
I think his nursery has been closed for several years now. I did try to get seeds from him as he was one of the northernmost growers. My seeds mainly came from Route 9 Chestnut Cooperative in Ohio and the University of Missouri's chestnut orchard.

My Hazel's may be from Badgersett via Red Fern Farm. Some people not too far from me have started processing Hazelnuts into oil.

With doing the garage this year I am definitely not going to have time to expand the orchards into our other field this year. I am just trying to maintain and replace anything that died. I also planted a long strip of Persimmon trees along the road.
Last post by Don_P - May 18, 2022, 06:35:53 PM
Have you run across Badgersett (sp?) nursery? He was in with the ACF early but his goal was more towards the nuts rather than the timber. I met him 5... ish years ago while he was travelling through. He claimed he was getting good american nut production. I think it was him... hazelnuts are another neat nut crop.
Last post by NathanS - May 18, 2022, 03:12:50 PM
The orchard in the background is Chinese Chestnut, Don. I have another few hundred in air prune beds and pots to plant in other areas as well. It is totally just a fun experiment, but if successful a few acres could provide a decent, relatively low labor, retirement income some day.

The history of the American Chestnut is quite a tragedy. I was a part of the American Chestnut foundation for a few years and the last I read on the back cross program, it's not sounding too good. It's looking like they need 12-14 genes for blight resistance instead of the hoped for 2-3. And while the transgenic wheat gene tree appears to be the real deal, it will be in for a long approval process, if it ever happens.