So it begins, The Wee House in Vermont

Started by tlmartin, May 08, 2011, 02:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlmartin

Thought you would like to see my Wee House build site here in northern Vermont

And this is how every piece of lumber will get there

Yesterday I thought I was crazy to even consider building up that high with no road but I am excited and it will be a long, interesting month.

cbc58

Welcome.   What size house you building?  How far in is it from a driveway/ parking area ?

Where's your lot and how big?   Nice brook.  A few folks from VT here...

tlmartin

Thanks for the welcome. I am building a 16 x 20 with loft. It is 1100 feet up from my place to the build site on an old muddy logging trail. My lot is in Montgomery Vt and is 18 acres. I was fortunate enough to meet a guy who teaches carpentry.He and his sudents will be framing and roofing,sheathing the wee house along with myself and some friends.The posts will be put in the ground on Tues after the excavator puts in some ditches and culverts.Hopefully it will be a little easier to get the building materials up there. I am taking every piece up on my Ranger. I tried pulling a trailer up but it's just too muddy. I'll keep posting pics of the progress. Heres a pic of me breaking ground today.Trudy

Tickhill

Beautiful looking spot, the further away from civilization the better in my book. Looking forward to more pics/posts. How far is that stream from your house going to be, micro hydro looks promising.  Tickhill
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Jeff922

That sure looks like a nice piece of land and a funny project.  Good luck to you!   :D
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

muldoon

Good start!  Does that creek run yearlong?  With the flow and the elevation drop it looks very promising for micro-hydro if so. 

tlmartin

The stream is about 40 feet away in front of the wee house. I wanted the house on dry ground so the stream will be part of my view from the future front porch. I'll have to do some research on micro-hydro.

cabinfever

Welcome, TL! I'm a couple of years along on a 16 x 24 place in Athens, down by Bellows Falls. My experiences are at www.newenglandcabin.blogspot.com if they are of any help...

cbc58

when do the blackflies come out??

just out of curiousity... did you need a building permit for this and are you able to get insurance on this cabin?  i ask because I've heard of people being turned down for not having "suitable" access for fire trucks and emergency vehicles.   maybe more laid back where you are.

tlmartin

The flies are just coming out, as a matter of fact I got a nice bite on the back of my neck  >:(
Yes a permit is required but insurance will be on an out building.

tlmartin

Here are pics from yesterday, it was a long day but the post got set. These are the post brackets
Here is the trench for the posts
This is me using the excavator as an elevator
Here is how I did the post, first bracket then wrapped post in 1/2 foil styrofoam to keep frost away from posts, dropped a bag of cement in each hole and dropped post bracket into cement bag.
And this is the end of the day with posts set.

cbc58

so you just buried the posts... no concrete piers or foundation ??

tlmartin

The only concrete was the unopened bags, thats the way some farmers up here set their posts for pole barns and those barns have been standing for a long time. They tell me the trick is to keep the snow away from the post using skirting of some kind.

tlmartin

here are few pics of the floor.Next will be the walls and roof this weekend !

Sassy

w*  Nice!  Beautiful area.  Keep posting those pix!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rich2Vermont

Can't wait to see your progress. Hope the flash floods didn't affect your area the other day.

tlmartin

We had a very productive weekend  ;D but I am worn out now. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Tradtional pine bow on ridge beam at the end of the day

Tickhill

"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

rich2Vermont

It looks great, Trudy! I love how nestled you are in the trees. I was worried you guys would get wiped out by the thunderstorms Sunday night, but it looks like you made some good progress.

muldoon

Looks like you had great weekend.  The project is coming along nicely, just curious on two questions.

How did you attach the floor joists?  Did you use hangers or brackets or just flush nail them? 
Do you have plans to add additional bracing on the piers? 

tlmartin

We flush nailed the floor joists(five 16d nails per end). I will be adding some bracing around the posts as soon as I get the roof, doors and windows done. I'll be posting more pics soon.

OlJarhead

Great progress!  Nice to have all the help eh?

tlmartin

We are making progress on the roof, jeez thats a big job...

tlmartin

I don't know if this video will work but I had a woodpecker on the roof today trying to help.. ??? Click on the pic and it will take you to all my pics and the woodpecker videos.

tlmartin