20x30 1-1/2 Story in La Cueva, NM - Jemez Cabin Build

Started by mattdawg1100, September 26, 2011, 10:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattdawg1100

I've been lingering around the site for 3-4 years now.  Country Plans is one of the best and most informative sites I have found on the internet to date.  It has been a pleasure watching and reading about everyones build.  I am excited to finally be able to contribute and start our build.

Our cabin site is located in La Cueva, NM 12 miles North of Jemez Springs, NM.  Jemez Springs is 62 miles North West of Albuquerque, NM.

MountainDon I beleive you and I are neighbors.

We purchased 2.25 acres in 08/2010.  I purchased John's 20x30 1-1/2 story plan set in 09/2010.

Been working the land since purchase and finally broke ground 09/2011.  I'll try to fast forward and catch everyone up with where the build is to date.

nathan.principe

NM_Shooter

Hey welcome!  Another chili muncher.  We need to get a club started.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

yeah  w*   we're just a few miles up the highway, then off.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

I love new mexico. If i could move again it would be NM or UT. i haul potatos out of AZ and i love driving back through hatch nm when all the chilies are drying.

Redoverfarm

duncanshannon

w*

looking forward to following your build. hurry up and get some photos posted!!  :D
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mattdawg1100

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!  ;D

Ok, I think I have the photo posting figured out now, so here goes........

Overall location map of cabin build site. *Map courtesy of Google Maps.

La Cueva, NM detailed location map of cabin build site. *Map courtesy of Google Maps.

Site plan of cabin location on property.  Cabin is located in Cielo Vista Estate's on Lot #11, 2.2 acres.

CjAl

Isnt that where all the alien "probing" happens?

Oops. No worries

Native_NM

Greetings from another NM member.  Nice area.  I'm looking forward to the build.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

mattdawg1100

Land entrance looking up from the main road.    Property was under contract during the NM monsoon rains.  Runoff last summer destroyed the road.  Main road is maintained by the county.

Looking down to main road from the existing lower culvert. Culvert was clogged with rocks and dirt.  Creating more runoff damage.....

Middle of the property road looking down to lower culvert and main road.  More runoff damage.....

Looking up the raod to the building pad site.  You guessed it more runoff damage....  Lesson learned before purchasing keep in mind what may be happening at the site so you can include any concerns in the negotiations.  None of this damage existed during the several initial visits.

MountainDon

That's rather typical of many roads in the Jemez. In our area this was a slightly more gentle year than last year as far as the road damage goes. 2009 was much worse with two bigger downpours that caused some damage that required regrading before winter. The rainfall can vary a lot within the space of a few miles.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

old_guy

When the road is being repaired add some water controls to prevent severe future erosion damage in the future.  Depending on your current usage it could be a simple as some temporary water bars, or as long lasting as broad-based dips.  Either of these will turn water off the roadway before it picks up enough speed to wash away the road.

A good reference is the Guide to Forestry Best Management Practices in Tennessee.  It is easily found online in Tennessee.gov.

Beautiful location.

MountainDon

Strips of belting can be used across the road. Dig a trench and bury it with a few inches protruding above the road surface. Install to direct water to the sides. It bends when driving over and springs back up.

The forest service has used that on two 4wd roads that I know of in the Jemez. Now closed because of the Los Conchas fire.  >:(

hpinson

We are having this problem as well.  Our access road, freshly graded at the beginning of the summer, has deep ruts... probably from the same storms that did in your road, Mattdawg.  Short of a crowned and graveled access road (maybe someday), we are going to start using trailbuilding techniques, diverting water with cross bars at some key places above the erosion.  This is high on the todo list for next spring. Also, we will start filling the ruts with gravel, a little at a time,

It helps to have neigbors with tractors and blades too...  ;) ;

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on October 03, 2011, 08:43:31 PM
Strips of belting can be used across the road. Dig a trench and bury it with a few inches protruding above the road surface. Install to direct water to the sides. It bends when driving over and springs back up.

The forest service has used that on two 4wd roads that I know of in the Jemez. Now closed because of the Los Conchas fire.  >:(

You can get used belting at surplus city on Central in ABQ.....
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

mattdawg1100

old_guy:  Thats a great forestry reference, thanks.

MountainDon/NM_Shooter:  Great ideas!  Installation sounds fairly simple.  I will definitely look into adding some strips to the roadway.  Surplus City is not far from my house.  I can stop in and see what they have in stock.

hpinson:  Yes sir, you are correct.  I am coming to learn that a neighbor with a tractor is a friend indeed, or is it a friend I need  :).   

Redoverfarm

mattdawg1100 you might consider using "used guardrail panels".  They work great when they are trenched in (6") and laid at a slight diagonal. Most of the time they are just sold for scrap value. Galvanized and will last for years.  Occassionally just take a shovel and clean them out but for the most part they are self cleaning.  Use a piece of rebar with a washer and nut on top to secure.