Reasonably Complete Water Test Panel

Started by hpinson, October 03, 2011, 08:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

I think it might be helpful to detail exactly what water tests I used when considering a property with an existing well. It seems a reasonably complete test panel.  I spent a little extra for petroleum testing because I am in oil and gas country. I may be light on testing for pesticides, but am not located in an agricultural area.

Cost was: $368

Analysis was for:

Cation Anion Balance
--------------------
Flouride
Chloride
Nitrogen, Nitrite
Bromide
Phosphorus, Orthophosphate
Sulfate

EPA 200.8 Dissolved Metals
--------------------------
Arsenic

EPA Method 8021B: Disolved Metals
---------------------------------
Calcium
Lead
Magnesium
Potasium
Sodium

EPA Method 8015B: Diesel Range
------------------------------
Deisel Range Organics
Motor Oil Range Organics

EPA Method 8015B: Gasoline Range
--------------------------------
Gasoline Range Organics

EPA Method 8021B: Volatiles
---------------------------
Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE)
Benzene
Toluene
Xylenes, Total
1,2,3-Trimethylbenzine
1,3,5-Trimethylbenzine
4-Bromofluorobenzene

SM 9223B: Total Coliform
------------------------
Total Coliform
E. Coli

Alkalinity
----------
Alkalinity, Total
Carbonate
Bicarbonate

EPA 120.1: Specific Conductance
-------------------------------
Specific Conductance

SM2540C Mod: Total Dissolved Solids
-----------------------------------
Total Dissolved Solids

Gary O

Hpinson
Seems you've done some research
We bought an adjoining property to our cabin property.
Discovered it had a hand dug well (sandpoint), of which I bought a hand pump along with test kit from HD for $10-$20.
IYO, Are these garbage, or, after passing the tests, good enough to confidently venture a sip on a hot day?

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

hpinson

Hi Gary.  Coliform contamination is the biggie.  I'm guessing it does not test for that.  I know there are areas in the Jemez area of New Mexico, densly populated with older cabins, where fecal coliform contamination could really be a problem-- shallow wells, outhouses, that sort of thing, like north of Fenton Lake. 

Arsenic, lead, too high a salt content, all are common problems in the U.S. west. Pesticides where there is agriculture (Nitrate, Nitrite).  Petrochemicals where there is oil and gas exploration and especially if fraccing is going on.  Hardness and carbonate are more of an annoyance. Where are you located?

The procedure I went through required taking sterile samples and refrigeration during transport. A lot of thought was put into how not to contaminate the samples.  I know I researched the labs in Albuquerque and settled on one (Hall Environmental) that had a good reputation, as they do water sampling for state and federal agencies, and are considered reliable in a sea of sham water testers.  They were not the cheapest.

Certain things could be tested for reliably with that sort of a kit I suppose, but I'm not a chemist.  PH? Nitrate/Nitrite? I don't see how it could be a reliable test for bacteria, viruses (Giardia), or most organic / inorganic compounds.

Does anyone have suggestions for testing for pesticides?

Bob S.

Has anyone used a county health department for a water test? Don't they typically provide this type of service? I sold a home here in Idaho and they made me have the well tested by the county before I could sell it. As I recall it was inexpensive.

Gary O

"Where are you located?"

Hi Hpinson

Our high desert situation (central Oregon) is quite unique, as pumice is the major content of our soil. Mt Mazama (aka Crater Lake) having blown it's top a couple eons ago, is 15 mi due west, and the area our cabin sits on is atop an underground lake. Wells, anywhere you punch a hole go as shallow as 25', getting a moist shovel at 12'-15'...kinda scary thinkin' about it.

We did a lot of research before buying the property;
Hey, cheap! Here's the money.

But it turns out to be fascinating territory.

The well is about 100 paces from the former owner's out house, so, yeah, I have concerns about fecal coliform contamination.
The test kits did not contain a bacteria test, and I'd imagine that's the one I need......

Everyone's wells around us yield sweet water, and I'm tempted to gulp down a mason jar full after slogging away on the cabin. So, I'm thinkin' I better get a bona fide test done for at least that coliform stuff, before I wet my whistle, and end up having to strap a port-a-potty to my hind end.

Really enjoying your other thread, hpinson.

Keep on keepin' on

Gary O'

rick91351

Quote from: Bob S. on October 04, 2011, 07:46:47 AM
Has anyone used a county health department for a water test? Don't they typically provide this type of service? I sold a home here in Idaho and they made me have the well tested by the county before I could sell it. As I recall it was inexpensive.

At one time water testing was free in Idaho.  Now there is a small charge for basic testing.  However if you want a full panel run it will cost you bigger bucks.  In the Nampa, Caldwell area they have been testing for free again from what I hear.  (Area where I live)  They tracking arsenic and farming chemicals.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hpinson

Hi Gary.  My wife worked in Lakeview for the BLM for a few summers.  It's lovely country.  You must be east of Lakeview?

If I remember right, the coliform test alone cost about $40 through the lab I used, and we could order just that if we wanted. 

I also have a friend at the University of New Mexico who said they can perform testing, at their water lab, but I never asked the cost. Check the closest university.

It would also be a good question to the county Extension Service Agent.  They could probably give you recommendations as to trusted testing services.   

Pumice is very pourous. That is what is in the Jemez mountains too.  All around Fenton lake. I think the old outhouse/ groundwater contamination problem there is pretty bad.  MountainDon might know more about that. I'm in unconsolodated sandy fill and standstone ledge, over shale at 300'. I think that is pretty tolerant of septage.  I think my well was contaminated from being left open to the air for a number of years, rather than from any ground source.

I saw one government document from Kansas that said half the wells tested have Coliform contamination.  I guess the solution is easy enough usually-- Google "shocking a well".  Maybe that deserves a subject to itself?

-- Harlow 

Gary O

Hi Harlow

Actually we're NW of Lakeview.
More precisely we're between Chemult and Chiloquin off 97, 85 mi or so south of Bend.

I'm going to try to secure a bacteria test kit thru retail, unless they're more than $30-$40
But yes, as mentioned, county services are available, and test labs, but I'm a bit of a renegade.......