Great room triple 12" beams

Started by rickeyleee, November 06, 2017, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickeyleee

Page 3 of the plans shows triple 12" 2x12's throughout the great room.
#1- If the great room doesn't have a loft in it and is going to have vaulted ceilings, are they even needed?
#2- If no loft, would triple 8" or 10" 2x4's suffice?
I have pretty much decided to use site built trusses in the loft area and then continue the same trusses throughout the great room.

rickeyleee

I overlooked John's take on this in the plan sheets.... I thought the sheet was for optional rafters vs. site built trusses so I din't look at it as much as I should have.  Anyhow, that sheet answered some of my questions.  Still looking at the transition from the loft BR to the Great Room as far as the beams and ceiling.  Looking now at putting t1-11 for loft floor facing down and then putting wood flooring on top of it which would give me 1 1/8" floors on 24" OC floor beams.  My loft area is 18' with a small BR, bath, and laundry room below with the hall separating the bedroom from the bath and laundry.  Anyhow, the longest span for my beams (24" OC) will be 10' so I might use double 2x8's or 4x8 for those.  Kitchen and LR will be 26 ft wide for a total of 44'.  To the left of the house, there will be an attached garage 24x20 and a giant mudroom 12x20 all on a concrete foundation.  The rest of the house will have a daylight basement.