The Rebuild 26x52 two story

Started by dablack, May 18, 2014, 09:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knopfarrow

Did you build or buy the plywood cabinet shells? If you bought them, where from? They look great and are exactly what I'm wanting to find for my impending build.
"One is not a pattern. Two is not a trend." -me

dablack

A friend of mine built them.  They are sturdy for SURE!

thanks
Austin

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dablack

Well, we are still plugging away.  A friend of mine, cut down a huge red oak and then cut me some slabs.  I got three 14" wide 1.5" thick, 9' long slabs of oak.  I finally got them down on the island about a month or so ago. 

https://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/dablack2000/counter%202_zps9xwhukfm.jpg

Now I have a pile of shiplap (3000 sqft) in my dining area.  We do have some sheetrock upstairs but most of it will be shiplap.  I will get some shots when it is done. 

Austin

ChugiakTinkerer

My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

dablack

Thanks.  I'm very pleased with it.  Momma doesn't mind how long everything is taking as long as it is nice when done.  She is really liking the shiplap upstairs.  Then again, anything is better than looking at spray foam!

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: dablack on August 19, 2016, 03:54:28 PM
Thanks.  I'm very pleased with it.  Momma doesn't mind how long everything is taking as long as it is nice when done.  She is really liking the shiplap upstairs.  Then again, anything is better than looking at spray foam!

I like that shiplap too.  I'm hoping to follow your footsteps for my cabin build by using as much self-milled lumber as I can.  The Forestry Forum folks are an incredible resource.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

dablack

Little more progress.  Got the front porch slab poured.  10' deep and 52' long (length of house).  I'm now shopping for brick to build some 3' tall pillars.  Then the 8x8 posts will go on top of that, and then a 8x10 beam. 

It is nice having somewhere to sit outside that isn't in the dirt!

Austin

NathanS

That's going to add a lot of character when it's all framed up.

Takes a lot of fortitude to do what you've done. Not only rebuilding the whole house after it burned down, but to also do it on the same foundation.

I'm sure you have plans for flooring, but there is something pretty awesome about the fire stressed slab on the interior.

dablack

Thanks Nathan!

If the floor wasn't so pitted in spots then I would be fine with the "distressed" look.  There is about a 2' diameter area in the kitchen that is at least an inch low.  Another 3' diameter area near the couch that is the same.  Just too rough!  I'm planning to fill those spots will cement and then put down some plywood and then wood floor. 

I bought the brick yesterday!  A bundle (500) and two straps (100 each) for a total of 700 bricks.  I figured I needed 500 for the pillars but wanted to make sure I had plenty. 
Brought them home in my 1990 F250.  They rode just fine and it saved me the $100 delivery fee.  Will have pics soon. 

Austin

Redoverfarm

How many post are you going to use?  Seem like a lot of bricks but I am sure you have it figured out.  Are you going to form and pour a cap on the brick for the post to rest on?  Might be tricky anchoring them down.  Maybe use strapping attached to the bottom of the post and the inside of the brick pier.  Make the attachment then pour your cap to cover the strapping.  I would probably allow the cap to cover 3/4" - 1" of the brick.  Then up the post, covering the strap attachment then the tapering the pour to let the water run off away from the post.  Just my thoughts.

dablack

John,

I know you are always ready to help when it comes to stone/brick work!

There are going to be 5 posts (one every 13' for 52') and the brick portion will be about 36" high.  It takes 8 bricks to go all the way around and 12 or 13 layers, so that works out to about 100 bricks per post.  Instead of pouring the cap, I'm going to do a brick cap.  I figure, I will use cinder blocks for the core and brick up to the height I want.  I will have the anchors attached and then I will build the brick cap.  The anchors will come up through the cap.  Put the post on top and come the anchors will post trim (6" tall 1x boards that will go around the base of the post). 

Does that make sense?

If I only end up using 550 bricks then, I will have more than a strap left over.  I was just worried that I was going to need 601, and then have to make another hour drive to go pick up another strap of bricks.  I figured if I have a bunch extra, I will do something cool with them later. 

thanks
Austin

Redoverfarm

Those will be heafty post.  Maybe lay the leftovers for a landing or stoop coming off into the yard. ;D

dablack

The posts are full size 8x8s with a 8x10 beam!  It should look very heafty indeed!  I'm planning to lay it out dry and make sure I like the proportions before moving forward.  Each side of the post, you will see the long sides of two bricks and the end of one.  That gives me a 19 5/8" wide column. 

If I decide that is too big compaired to my 8x8 post, then I will go down to the long side of one brick and the ends of two.  That should give me a 16" wide column.  I will lay both out and see which one works better. 

The 2nd way I will only be using 6 bricks for each layer and will only need 80 bricks per column.  Then I will for sure have plenty left over but I tend to like the heafty look, so I'm guessing that I will like the big stuff more. 

Austin

Redoverfarm

I was trying to visualize this as you was explaining earlier and I guess the proportional aspect came to mind.  Seems I get caught in that more than not.  When I bought my front door to the cabin I had a choice between a double 6' or the single 3' for the same money.  Given the distance was only 10' I opted for the 3' as the proportions were better.  Carry on.  ;)

dablack

Hey Guys, Sorry it has been so long.  I'm still slowly working on the house.  Here is my 2nd brick column I did (no..... you can't see the 1st one).  I'm just about ready to start mounting the 8"x8" posts that will hold up the porch roof.  There are five of the pictured brick columns on 13' centers. 

Austin

Don_P

Looks way better than I can do  [cool]
For the masons I've welded a vertical plate to the rebars and extended that up thru the cap. A 1/4" plastic spacer slipped over to get the post up a little. Then cut a vertical slot in the post bottom and slip it over the knife plate. Then drill thru the post and steel for 2 @ 1/2" steel pins with wooden plugs to cover them. That ties the post and roof down to the masonry.

dablack

Wow Don!  I think that is a great way to do it.  My way isn't nearly as secure but I think it will work.  I embedded some of the metal ties that go between the concrete blocks and the bricks.  They are wrapped around a piece of rebar that is bent with 3 90 degree bends to fit between the brick and concrete blocks.  Then I filled the space between the bricks and blocks and leveled a plastic pad for the post to sit on. 

After the post gets mounted and fixed to the beam, I will go back and put the horizontal bricks on the top. 

Austin

dablack

Got a little more done.

The posts are 8x8s and the beam is 13' 8x10.  The tractor doesn't have the reach to set the beam so I'm going to rent a material lift for about $50 a day.  Should get it done. 

NathanS

Those posts look great. I have similar plans (probably summer after next) to do a covered and screened porch like this on our 20 ft wall.

You've got some serious timber on your property. Were those posts milled from your land?

dablack

Why yes, yes they were milled from my pines.  A good buddy of mine, felled them and milled them.  I got a cheap electric planer from big orange and it did a good job of smoothing them out.  Finished with a belt sander and they are ready.  I was hoping to rent a material lift and to set the 13' 8x10s this past weekend but it didn't happen.  Next couple of weekends are taken up so at this point, I will be happy if the beams get up there in March.  Then porch rafters and some sort of decking.  Not sure what I will use right now.  I was thinking OSB but it will be visible from the underside so OSB won't cut it. 

jdindino

I love those pillars with the 8x8 posts. Hope to do something similar with cinder block and stone veneer.  [cool]

dablack

Got a little more done on the porch.  8x10 beams, 13' long.  I've got them held down to the posts with timberlok screws and the beams are attached to each other end to end with big plates that go across the ends.  Rafters are 2x8s set 2'OC.

Porch is 10' deep and the roof hits the house about 10' up. 

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

Those brick posts are incredible looking.