OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Todd hows the construction going?  Been a couple weeks since you posted any pictures of the stage that you are at.

astidham

hey John,
All is going well, but very slow due to weather conditions and having to build after work.
I do have some updated pics I need to add though..
coming soon.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

got some sheathing up on the 2nd floor.
rain and high wind has kept me from moving too far on this, but i did get the interior walls framed.

another reason i'm not more ahead is the Zip line.
I finished installing it around 5pm yesterday. the girls love it!  :) almost as much as I do.

we settled on 200' long line.
— Henry Ford

John Raabe

We had a zip line between trees on our building site. It was very popular for any kids (or the young at heart) who visited the site. That was thirty years ago but the now 70' tall tree it was strapped to still shows the welt it grew to protect itself against the cable. ::)

Reread your post... 200' wow! That's a much more exciting ride than we had.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

astidham

Quote from: John Raabe on March 14, 2014, 01:31:41 PM
We had a zip line between trees on our building site. It was very popular for any kids (or the young at heart) who visited the site. That was thirty years ago but the now 70' tall tree it was strapped to still shows the welt it grew to protect itself against the cable. ::)

Reread your post... 200' wow! That's a much more exciting ride than we had.
it is lots of fun..
the tree that has bare cable wrapped on it, I put 2x4 blocks under the cable to help protect the tree.
the other tree just has chain on it.
— Henry Ford

rich2Vermont

Oooo. I would love a zip line at our place, but I envision it running from a treehouse, a la Treehouse Masters-type of treehouse. Always chasing the dream... :)

dablack

My kids got a 100' zipline for Christmas this year and it is still sitting in the box.....

The sheathing looks good.  Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 

astidham

Quote from: dablack on March 17, 2014, 10:11:42 AM
My kids got a 100' zipline for Christmas this year and it is still sitting in the box.....

The sheathing looks good.  Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Thanks!
putting that zipline up wasnt as bad as I thought it would be..
im sure you will love yaurs.
— Henry Ford

astidham

I have a short update, the wife and I got some trusses installed over the weekend

The block and tackle hoist attached to a 2x4 on the top plate is how we raised the trusses to the 2nd floor, and pulled them through the door opening.
From there we hand lifted them to the top plate.

— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks sharp!  What is the pitch on the roof?  8:12?  Are you just toe nailing the trusses or what?

I think I remember you saying you used wedge bolts for the base plates down on the slab.  How did that go?  Do you pre-drill the cement?

Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on March 24, 2014, 07:39:00 AM
Looks sharp!  What is the pitch on the roof?  8:12?  Are you just toe nailing the trusses or what?

I think I remember you saying you used wedge bolts for the base plates down on the slab.  How did that go?  Do you pre-drill the cement?

Austin
Hey Austin,
thanks!! you are right! the pitch is 8/12. as far as fastening the trusses, I am toe nailing them, then adding hurricane clips when I get all the trusses up. the gable ends are attached with (6 each) 6" timberloks through the plates into the bottom chord of the truss.
and the wedge bolts in the concrete was a great alternative to having bolts poured in the slab. no lifting walls over the bolts.
I pre-drilled through the bottom plates, and after I stood the wall up and temp braced it, I drilled the holes in the concrete.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Nice job.  On my first build I used only timberloks with no nails.  I don't know how they compare in price to hurricane clips.  I just really like the convenence of being able to stand flat footed and running them in with a 1/2" drill.  I had 22.5" 2x4 spacers for setting the trusses and I would run in the timberloks while the skytrak was still holding the truss.  Once I had the system down, it went pretty fast (as fast as doing it by yourself can go).

I've never done the holes in concrete thing.  Did you use a 1/2 drill?  What size bit?  What kind of bit.  As you can see, since I've never done that part, I'm stressing over it. 

thanks
Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on March 24, 2014, 09:48:58 AM
Nice job.  On my first build I used only timberloks with no nails.  I don't know how they compare in price to hurricane clips.  I just really like the convenence of being able to stand flat footed and running them in with a 1/2" drill.  I had 22.5" 2x4 spacers for setting the trusses and I would run in the timberloks while the skytrak was still holding the truss.  Once I had the system down, it went pretty fast (as fast as doing it by yourself can go).

I've never done the holes in concrete thing.  Did you use a 1/2 drill?  What size bit?  What kind of bit.  As you can see, since I've never done that part, I'm stressing over it.

thanks
Austin
I used a 6" long 1/2 inch diameter concrete bit. the bit was made by kobalt, got it at lowes.. i used my dewalt 18v drill on the hammer setting. Dont stress about it, it was very easy.
I drilled through the bottom plate after the wall was framed and still laying flat on the ground. then stood the wall up, and used the predrilled holes through the wood as a drill guide to help steady drilling the concrete. if you have access to a heavy duty hammer drill, it would be alot easier to drill the holes than doing it with a cordless hammer drill.
drill the hole put the washer and nut on the wedge bolt, and beat the bolt into the hole.
I was very nervous the first hole too,
— Henry Ford

astidham

My wife and I finished the trusses this weekend, and got the sub fascia on the front side.

Here is a picture of our future bedroom 10x12

And this is the bathroom. The remainder of the upstairs is my 3 daughters bunkhouse

The opening to the right will be a door to a deck and stairs.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks good.  Nice view out on that future deck!

Austin

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

Got the roof sheathing installed this weekend.

Since I rented a boom lift, I took some above pictures
This is looking east, the direction our living room faces

This is looking south

This is looking north

You can see the sidewalks and the entry landing concrete I had poured,  or most of it in some of the above pictures
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

low flying aerials.....  :)    [cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dablack

OK, you are walking the path for me.  Give me the run down on the lift procedure.  From the pics, it looks like it is four sheets from drip edge to peak (16').  Can you controll the bucket from the bucket?  How long is the new addition?  How long did sheething like this take?  Usually rental places will let you rent something for a "day" and you get it for the whole long weekend if it is a holiday (Good Friday) but only want you to use 8 hours on the machine.  Were you able to get it done in less than 8 hours of run time?

My last build went really fast until I got to the roof sheathing.......

In one of the pictures it looks like you are standing on the roof with the lift backing you.  How was it up there on that 8/12? 

Great pics.  I know you are excited to get that part done.  Whats the plan for the paper to cover the roof sheathing?

thanks
Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on April 21, 2014, 08:37:32 AM
OK, you are walking the path for me.  Give me the run down on the lift procedure.  From the pics, it looks like it is four sheets from drip edge to peak (16').  Can you controll the bucket from the bucket?  How long is the new addition?  How long did sheething like this take?  Usually rental places will let you rent something for a "day" and you get it for the whole long weekend if it is a holiday (Good Friday) but only want you to use 8 hours on the machine.  Were you able to get it done in less than 8 hours of run time?

My last build went really fast until I got to the roof sheathing.......

In one of the pictures it looks like you are standing on the roof with the lift backing you.  How was it up there on that 8/12? 

Great pics.  I know you are excited to get that part done.  Whats the plan for the paper to cover the roof sheathing?

thanks
Austin

Hey Austin,
There are 3 full sheets, and the top row 4th sheet width was cut down to 30.5"
The lift is completely controlled from the bucket.
I did get it for the whole weekend for a 8hr rental cost, but turning it on and off between cuting lifting and nailing, the machine ran about 4hrs. The rental place said they dont record hrs on their lifts though.
Installation took me about 15 hrs working alone. If you had help cutting and holding the sheets, it would be a single day job.
The garage section is 30 feet long.
If its possible to park your lift in the middle of the slope side where you can rotate back and forth to install the sheet, the lift does most the work. I screwed some 2x4s to the front of the bucket to hold the plywood, then c_clamped the sheet to the bucket. After laying the sheet down, I leaned on the bucket untill I got the sheet nailed down enough to hold onto the sheet to nail the rest off.
The 8 pitch was a lot steeper than I thought it would be.
I think to paper it in, I will start on my scaffolding, then put some roof jacks on as I go up.... I will be wearing a climbing harness, and be roped off for this.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Thanks for the detailed info.  Your place is really coming along. 

Using your 63sqft/hr, it should take me 26 hours working alone.  UG!  Still much better than the months it took me last time.  I will get the lift on a three day weekend and maybe the next Monday too.  That is only 7hrs a day for four days.  Not too bad.  I might keep it for another day to do the paper too. 

I start framing tomorrow!

thanks
Austin

astidham

Glad to hear you adventure starts again!
Cant wait to see it.
— Henry Ford

astidham

I had to cut the overhang off the house for the entryway truss to attach.
I had scissor trusses built to matchup with the cabin scissors but have decided against using them, and had 6 more trusses built to match the addition trusses.
Removing the overhang was a big job.  :o
— Henry Ford

astidham

Have a short update, here is the entry wall.
Its 18 foot tall, and was a job to to get stood upright.

We have side lights and a arched window for above the door.
We are also thinking we might put another window near the top of the wall, so we left that area open until we decide.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks great!  So that area is going to be open all the way up?  Then a cat walk from the old upstairs to the new upstairs?  That will be neat!  Yes, I would have a window up there just to get some natural light up on that catwalk.  On the catwalk, yeah!

I'm already setting my floor trusses on my build but I can't get to photobucket from work so I'm not able to post pictures.  I will try to get caught up and get a post going next weekend. 

Austin