OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Quote from: dablack on May 15, 2014, 10:30:45 AM
Looks great!  So that area is going to be open all the way up?  Then a cat walk from the old upstairs to the new upstairs?  That will be neat!  Yes, I would have a window up there just to get some natural light up on that catwalk.  On the catwalk, yeah!

I'm already setting my floor trusses on my build but I can't get to photobucket from work so I'm not able to post pictures.  I will try to get caught up and get a post going next weekend. 

Austin
Hey Austin, the wall will be open the whole way, it looks gigantic when you are standing in front of it!
I can't wait to see your updates on your build!  :)
if a works out, i should have the catwalk area framed and floored by this weekend...
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

Here is the entryway with the catwalk built, it is more like a loft now that we built it all the way to the back wall.
Underneath is the pantry.

View from the back side of the addition.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks good.  What are you going to do with the area between the bottom of the old building and the top of the slab.  Looks like it will be a tough spot to insulate. 

Also, do you have big plans for the coming 3 day weekend?

I got my floor trusses installed this past weekend.  26' long and 2' tall.  I had 40 of them!  It was rough but I had two friends helping.  It wore me OUT!

Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on May 19, 2014, 02:55:30 PM
Looks good.  What are you going to do with the area between the bottom of the old building and the top of the slab.  Looks like it will be a tough spot to insulate. 

Also, do you have big plans for the coming 3 day weekend?

I got my floor trusses installed this past weekend.  26' long and 2' tall.  I had 40 of them!  It was rough but I had two friends helping.  It wore me OUT!

Austin
Hey Austin, Thanks!
that bottom section, I'm going to frame a 2x6 pony wall around 40" I think, to close the gap and insulate the area below the existing house.
I'm excited about the extra time off this coming weekend, I had to work saturday of this last weekend, so I didnt get as much done as I planned.
  I bet your happy to be done with the floor, when we did ours (ony 20 footers) it took some time to recover. the worst of it was the 7/8 decking, pushing it onto a 10 foot surface was painful.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Since I tried to get as much stuff out of my trees as I possible could, I had them cut a bunch of 1x material.  I'm going to use that as subfloor if I have enough.  That will take a little more time to install and lift up but it isn't nearly as heavy!  No 7/8" decking for me!

astidham

this is a view of the walkway between the addition and the cabin.

we also have the back wall build, just not in this picture.
— Henry Ford

dablack

I really like that crossover bridge area.  That will be nice.  I'm also interested in what you are doing because at some point, I want to add on as well. 

How wide is the window that you are opening into a door?  I've set my headers so that doors and windows are the same.  Also, most of my windows are 36" wide so it will be easy to convert over into a door later if needed. 

Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on May 22, 2014, 08:50:53 AM
I really like that crossover bridge area.  That will be nice.  I'm also interested in what you are doing because at some point, I want to add on as well. 

How wide is the window that you are opening into a door?  I've set my headers so that doors and windows are the same.  Also, most of my windows are 36" wide so it will be easy to convert over into a door later if needed. 

Austin
Hey Austin,
that window is 36" like yours, the problem is that i will have to cut through the top plates to open the door down to floor level.
there will be some modification needed to accomplish this task...  d*
— Henry Ford

dablack

Well, I would have to see the framing to comment with any suggestions but since that "door" is so far up into the rafters, remember there isn't much load above it.  I would make sure the rafters can't fall toward each other and make sure that the rafters are well supported to the left and right of the "door" but that is about it.  This is a gable end opening with not much above it. 

I'm sure you have a plan already in your head!

astidham

Got the entryway roof sheathed but no pics, photobucket is not letting me upload...
— Henry Ford

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

bathroom walls are framed, and we got 1 truss up today!!

— Henry Ford

astidham

got the bathroom roof sheathing on!
still need to put on the fascia, but rain was in the forcast, so I put on the felt...

— Henry Ford

dablack

Keeping it dry is good!  We have had rain every day for the past four days! 

astidham

Quote from: dablack on June 26, 2014, 07:29:28 AM
Keeping it dry is good!  We have had rain every day for the past four days!
i hear that, we get the tools drug out and get set up then it starts raining...
when we get everything put up it stops...lol
building weather..... d*
— Henry Ford

astidham

had my garage door and opener installed today! not all the harware was installed because one of the panels was dented, its the second panel up on the lft side.
The door is rated R-19, and has insulated glass.

The garage door opener is a marantec, its a german made opener with a lifetime warranty. its belt driven, and quiet. the rolling wheels are louder than the motor.
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

dablack

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

My wife and I decided to get a new mower for the cabin property.
Up to this point other than the very few times we brush hogged it, it has been mowed with a push mower, but just a small area.
We have had a number of copperhead snakes around the cabin this year, and with my girls running around barefoot, we figured it was time.
We bought a Bad Boy commercial ZT 54" mower with the big Kawasaki engine.

— Henry Ford

dablack

You are REALLY going to enjoy that. 

The first year of property ownership all I had was a free broken down snapper that I got up and running again.  Riding mower with a 38" cut.  I still have it.  I was taking about a 10" bite out each time I went around.  The grass was over the hood!  ha! 

Now I have the kubota and a 5' brush hog.  I'm looking forward to the time when the property is in good enough shape for a zero turn like that. 

Good Job!
Austin

astidham

Thanks austin,
i mowed a little today, about 1.5 acres. that thing zips through whatever you put it on, and never bogs down.
i love this mower
— Henry Ford

dablack

I hadn't mowed in months when I got the tractor.  It was at least five feet high in some spots.  I had never driven a tractor so I took it around a little.  I just sort of zigged zagged around for a while out in the open with the brush hog going.  Sure enough the next day Google updated their satelite image of the property.  It looks like a crazy person had been mowing.  That was a couple of years ago.  I'm really looking forward to it being updated again so that image will go away!

rick91351

Quote from: dablack on July 14, 2014, 07:23:53 AM
I hadn't mowed in months when I got the tractor.  It was at least five feet high in some spots.  I had never driven a tractor so I took it around a little.  I just sort of zigged zagged around for a while out in the open with the brush hog going.  Sure enough the next day Google updated their satelite image of the property.  It looks like a crazy person had been mowing.  That was a couple of years ago.  I'm really looking forward to it being updated again so that image will go away!

Where is the like / love it button.  ROFL  rofl
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

astidham

the only thumbs up I could find  [cool]
— Henry Ford