Solo Building

Started by Robert_Flowers, April 25, 2006, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Flowers

Not Hans Solo ;) But Building a cabin solo can it be done?

Can anyone with a mine to do it?
I'm talking about no help at all solo, leave me alone, i can do it better myself, i don't need no help can of person.
If it can be done
How large? One story or two? What would you use to build with wood,block, dirt, tires?

Just wanted to know what y'all thank could it be done?

Robert

bartholomew

Why not, Thoreau did it, and he didn't have power tools.

Jimmy C.

I am doing it!
I have only built a 20 x 40 deck in the past... Now this..
May the power of the internet be upon you!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jimmycason40/my_photos
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Billy Bob

I have built a (small) log cabin, and the steel hull of a fifty foot schooner.  The boat was much more challenging. [smiley=happy.gif]

I would say there are few limits to what you can do; my attitude has always been if somebody else has done it, I probably can, too.  (I draw the line at having babies, and I don't think I would qualify for  astronaut flight training at this point.  I also never saw much sense in jumpng out of a perfectly good airplane, but most everything else is open to consideration)

If the idea of building your own home intrigues you, I think you are in the right place, and in excellent company.  Well met, and keep your hammer handy!
Bill

Amanda_931

lots of things I've done have been solo.  Although right now I'm fighting the "I need help" mentality--getting really tired of waiting.

(If I work at it I can probably even do roofs--if they're a low enough pitch)

I do like Jimmy Cason's "signature"

QuoteThe hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

For some of the nuts and bolts--there's a book listed in the books section from the front page here--on working solo.  I think other people like it better than I did--some thought it one of the best building books they'd ever bought, but it does help quite a bit.l

glenn kangiser

I have only used help for a couple of  reasons.  To speed things up or  because friends wanted to help or learn - - I can't really think of any other reasons.

None of the reasons are that I couldn't do all of it alone - with the help of my remote control crane truck- I have to add.

Wait a minute -- I lied  --- I had two 4'6" x 8' steel framed antiique windows that were not possible for me and my crane due to access issues.  I used a couple of tough guys to help with them.  

Thats about it I think.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

While I am using my entire Rolodex of friends and acquaintances, I still refer to John Carroll's book, Working Alone, for the times when I am actually on site solo.

n74tg

Robert:
I'm building a 30x57 single story by myself.  Haven't gotten very far into it yet (still doing the foundation), but as Amanda says if you can get past the "I need help" mentality, you can do it.  I also particularly like Billy Bob's thought, that if someone else can do it, so can I.  That's pretty much the way I view life too.  

Now, one thing that others haven't mentioned yet; is getting all the rest of your family members on your side.  For instance, if wife/girlfriend/significant other wants to "move-in" to your project in minimal time; then solo building is gonna be stressful for you (and the relationship).  If she likes to get her hands dirty by toting, sawing, hammering, you're a lucky man.

You absolutely will want a copy of John Carroll's book "Working Alone"

Oh, and Billy Bob, I HAVE jumped out of a perfectly good airplane (at 14,500 feet mind you)

Now if I could just find a remote controlled crane truck like Glenn's.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

jb52761

I, too, am doing 99.9 % of my building alone. The only help is when my brothers come down from St. Paul for a visit. I put up the trusses, gable ends, sheathing, new subfloor, walls, insulation, etc, solo. I agree the hardest part is the time issue. One of the problems I face now and then is when someone comes over or visits, and I start hearing, "why did you do it that way?", or " well, I would have done it this way".....geeez...I just want to say if you want to help, then shut up and grab a hammer.

jraabe

Here is the article in CountrySide magazine about my dad's house. Built virtually by one man and some occasional help.

http://www.countryplans.com/thought-ex.html

StinkerBell

Watch or  Rent "Into The Wilderness".

Leo

I am bulding a 32,long victorias cottage by myself.you have to take and think things through and minimize the moving of materials,take youre time and think Safety and easy.A comealong and pulleys have proved well worth the money,i drill a small hole through the plywood and put a shackle in on the center of the top so its balanced then I can adjust to suit.Im at the roofing part now and safety is first but there are times when extra hands would be nice but arent mandantory.

Sassy

Nice home, John!  Your dad did a great job & the architect didn't do so bad, himself!  ;)

I guess if you really want something bad enough, you will figure out a way to do it or find out from others how to do it...