dug & Jenny's 20 by 30 1 and 1/2 story

Started by dug, December 06, 2009, 10:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Dug looks as if you are getting along fairly well.

In regards to the ridge vent caps you will need something there as well as the area where the roof meets the ridge vent.  Normally there is a foam seal that you can place (ontop of roof and under ridge) to keep vermits from occuping your ridge for a nesting place.  Personally I used screen over the vent area(one side of the roof to the other) and followed up with 1/4" rabbit wire.  The screen was for the small critter and the wire for the larger variety like squirrels and bats.  They do make a "cobra" type vent that will work on this application as well. What ever you decide to use don't forget the ends.  Without some protection they will enter there and travel the length of the ridge.

In regards to the roof metal and installation I used a "chicken  ladder" which would allow you to move it from one end to the other as you progress.  There will be the end sheet that you will either need to work off of a ground ladder or pad your ladder and sit it on the previous sheet you installed before reaching the last sheet.  The ridge is fairly easy in that you normally just straddle the ridge and secure it to the rib area (not flats).  Since you have one roof to work off of that is less steep (porch side) with the aid of two ladders you can reach over and attach the ridge on the steep side from the ladder set on the porch side.  While a helper (  ??? )is on the other ladder to kep it aligned and hold it.

If you do decide to attach a safety line you can fix you a couple of outriggers from the facia letting them extend upward ( on the same plane as your roof line) to clear the ridge and attach your safety line to those.  2X6" would work well attached to the facia with 3" deck screws to at least two false rafters.  The length would be determined by how far you extended them down the facia and what is needed to project you over the ridge area.  Basicly it will be on the opposit side of the roof once extended to clear the ridge.  I guess this is as clear as mud but maybe you can get the jist of what I am describing. With this arraignment it will allow you to use a snapping ring to the ridge safety line and move from one side to the other keeping you the same distance from the ridge or having to move your anchor line as you progress.

Pine Cone

I'd use a chicken ladder on the roof peak and a 3/4" nylon rope coming from the foundation on the opposite side of the roof you are working on.

Here is a pix of my chicken ladder without the safety rope.  I like the larger diameter rope because it is easy on your hands.  No matter what you end up with, you will get a good adrenilin rush from time to time.  My roof was about half the pitch of yours.  I ended up finishing the cap on a slightly rainy day and was able to confirm that neither my boots or rubber knee pads were totally secure on the damp metal.  I hope to never have to test how well the safety rope really works ever again d*

dug

Redoverfarm- Thanks for the info on the ridge venting, I think I've got a handle on it though I may have questions later.

Thanks also to you and Pine Cone on the chicken ladder idea, one of those "that's so simple- I should have thought of it" deals. Perfect solution and I will get to work building one as soon as I finish up the fascia and porch purlins.

I am hoping to beat the heavy rains which usually start around the first of July but with the way things are looking, and my previous 'luck' with the weather, I probably won't make it.
Roof arrives June 19.

dug

Not much accomplished since the last post but I'll relate what I've got.

I put a couple of windows in just for kicks. It went very smooth for the most part. Openings were the perfect size, and it was an easy job. the only problem was the flashing tape, which refused to stick well no matter how much I massaged it. It will melt the skin off your arm if it comes in contact with the glue though, that much I can tell you. Long sleeves next time.

I heard of some spray that is supposed to strengthen the bond, I'll have to look in to that.

I had forgotten how nice they were on the interior, I'lll have to get some finish on them before they get mucked up.

I trimmed the porch rafters yesterday

The lumber I had left was pretty sad so I put in these temporary blocks using even sadder lumber to hold it all straight until I had the fascia and a few purlins on, then they will come out (they are not nailed).

Then I cut, painted and nailed the fascia board.

Well, that's about it for now- I will post again when I get a little more done.

dug

One more thing- does anyone know what became of my personal identity photo. I was borrowing Jim Bridger's because he is more handsome then I am. I hope he wasn't offended as I had meant it as a compliment- a true American hero!

Pine Cone

Looking good!

I used the spray adhesive since I put my flashing up last winter when it was colder than recommended.  I forget the exact product number, but it was a 3M spray adhesive that worked very well.  You spray it on, wait a while, and it works sort of like contact cement.  Not very adhesive by itself, but the flashing sticks to it very well.

dug

We had some friends visiting from Tucson so we spent most of the week relaxing, catching up on old times and swapping lies. Needless to say not much got accomplished on my house, though I did manage to learn a thing or two.

One morning I made the unfortunate discovery that some of my felt paper did not survive our most recent bought with the wind. Of course it was near the peak on the north side, which is the more difficult side to work, it being without the front porch that I can use as a home base to stand on.

My friend (Arlo) installs grid-tie PV systems and so has a lot of experience working on roofs. He suggested a simple, elegant solution that worked well and should be a great help when I start installing the metal as well.

Tying these loops every foot or so allows you to clip in in different positions so you always have the right length rope wherever you are working.

I "let" Arlo do the patching since he was already up there testing out the rope. He was all over that roof like Spiderman and "we" had it patched in no time.

He made it look real easy, but he is nearly 20 years younger than myself. We'll have to see how it goes with me.

Another bit of interesting info I learned from him- He was looking at my piers and mentioned That in Arizona (not sure about here in NM) code states that the sonotube form must be removed below ground level before backfilling, which he informs me is a real PITA. Too late for me but others preparing to do this may want to check into it.

John Raabe

Not sure what the concern would be for a cardboard sonotube being buried in the ground?
From what I could find it should not be a worry. If anyone knows a code specification on this, please cite it.

Here is one answer to the question: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080701092010AACVJiR

Here is another: http://knowledge.fhwa.dot.gov/cops/OpsPublic.nsf/discussionDisplay?Open&id=2A87B92A11027B76852573C6005FAC94&Group=Signals&tab=DISCUSSION

And here is another product that avoids the whole issue: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7581.msg97309#msg97309
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dug

We are putting up our roof now which as a lot of you know is one of the most exciting and satisfying portions of the build process. A couple of friends are helping me out with this part and after two exhausting (12-14 hour) days we are about half done.

I didn't have time to snap any photos but Jenny took this one which shows how we were set up to do the roof install.

Instead of a chicken ladder we used two ladders, one on either side of the ridge, tied together  so we could work both sides at once, moving them down the ridge as we go along.
The ropes with loops allow us to move around freely, though for a non-climber such as myself it is counter intuitive to place complete trust in a rope!  [shocked]

We will see how far we can get today- I'll try to take a few photos.

diyfrank

Quote from: John Raabe on June 18, 2010, 01:19:27 PM
Not sure what the concern would be for a cardboard sonotube being buried in the ground?
From what I could find it should not be a worry. If anyone knows a code specification on this, please cite it.

Here is one answer to the question: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080701092010AACVJiR

Here is another: http://knowledge.fhwa.dot.gov/cops/OpsPublic.nsf/discussionDisplay?Open&id=2A87B92A11027B76852573C6005FAC94&Group=Signals&tab=DISCUSSION

I had an inspector that required that the cardboard from the sonotube be removed before backfilling. His reason was mold.
The ole #2 Razorbak did a great job stripping if you go with the spiral.

Dug, the rope with loops is what I am planning to use on mine. I'll be interested to hear your comments on doing it that way after you finish.
Your place is looking great. What color is the roof, white, silver?
Home is where you make it

John Raabe

Thanks for that follow-up. Still not sure I agree that there is a house or code issue here. Sure there is mold in the soil, bacteria and fungus too. Always have been. They will turn a little cardboard into humus for the worms.

That said, it would be a good idea to do what the inspector wants - especially on the small stuff.  ::) ::) ::).

astidham

looks like you are off to a good start dug!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Don_P

The only thing I can think of on the buried cardboard is that we are not supposed to leave any buried organic matter to attract termites. They can smell the CO2 given off by decay and come looking for a meal. That said I've never thought of it or been called on it on tubes. I think I'd blow Dew through my nose if an inspector told me he was worried about mold outside.

dug

Yesterday turned out to be a successful venture. Most importantly nobody was injured, unless you count pulled muscles, cut fingers, and extreme fatigue.

A thunderstorm conveniently rolled in about lunchtime and blew over by the time we were through. We had gotten this far, backside nearly complete-

Making progress-

My friend Daniel working around the dormer. He has done many roofs and was invaluable in helping to figure out various tricky details. I covered the opening at the ridge with hardware cloth and screen.-

The color is called galvalume (silver), though it does look kind of white when viewed from certain angles. I think it has a classic sort of farmhouse sort of look and am very happy with it overall.

Other benefits include- Highly reflective, good for our hot summers.
                               Matches about any color.
                               Doesn't scratch.
                               Cheaper!

Against the blue it reminds me of the ocean, a pleasant mental respite here in the desert-

An ariel view from a hill in back of my house-

Except for the ridge cap and a little flashing around the dormer we were only one panel away from being finished by the days end. We really wanted to get that last one on but the light was fading fast and I decided we better call it quits. 14 hours of "roof mountaineering" had pretty much done me in.

I took this shot this morning-

A few things I learned about metal roofing to pass on to novices such as myself-

Three people seemed about ideal for the job. One on the ground to make cuts, hand up sheets, etc., two on the roof to haul up the sheets and screw them down.

The method we used with the two ladders  tied together at the top combined with the looped ropes worked great! The ladder on both sides allowed us to install one sheet on either side of the roof before moving it, saving time and effort, and the ropes gave us complete mobility to access anyplace we needed quickly and easily. We secured the bottom or the ladders with a U-bracket screwed into a stud and tied the ropes to the ladders. Be prepared for a workout though, and unless you are a climber you will probably never get comfortable leaning your entire weight against the rope (I didn't).

I think snapping lines for the screws is a good idea. I didn't do it for the backside, but wish I would have. Besides making it look neat, you have enough to worry about up there without having to think about where to put the screws. I made a template using two 2 by 4's on either side of the sheet marked at the proper intervals.

We didn't do this, but I think if you have someone working on the ground it wouldn't be a bad idea to pre drill the holes. For one thing it takes a considerable amount of muscle to get those screws to start through the metal, but more importantly I found out that that without pre drilling the metal will lift up and squash the washer, fooling you into thinking you have it down tight.

Never step on a ridge when screwing in the metal. It will deform the sheet in that area, causing problems down the line.

So I can't do the happy dance quite yet, but when the roof is complete you can bet I will! Of everything so far this has been the most daunting task, and it is very satisfying to have it (almost) done.

John Raabe

Very nice progress and looking good. The roof is likely to be the most daunting of all the tasks. You did good planning. :D :D :D

OlJarhead

Very nice!!!!

For others (since it's too late for you) what we did worked very well -- we pre-drilled holes every two feet and at the appropriate places at the eves.  We did this by stacking all the panels for one side (13 in our case) and drilling them at once.  This meant all holes were lined up perfectly.

Some like patterns though and this can be done the same way except you drill half with one place and the other have 1 foot lower making a diagonal pattern when installed.

dug

QuoteFor others (since it's too late for you) what we did worked very well -- we pre-drilled holes every two feet and at the appropriate places at the eves.  We did this by stacking all the panels for one side (13 in our case) and drilling them at once.  This meant all holes were lined up perfectly.

Well I wish I would have thought of that! An excellent idea that I would recommend to others. Next time...

dug

Let the rains come down.  Roof is done!!!

Still some windows and doors to attend to but that will be a piece of cake compared to the last four days.

Life is good.    ::)

Native_NM

Very impressive.  I bet the film set crews will be knocking on your door soon!  ;D

How far south are you?  I'm way up in Albuquerque, but love southern NM.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

dug

QuoteVery impressive.  I bet the film set crews will be knocking on your door soon! 

How far south are you?  I'm way up in Albuquerque, but love southern NM.
Posted on: Today at 04:57:34 PM Posted by:

Thanks, I'm blushing!  :)

We are near Silver City, just south of the Gila wilderness area. We like it a lot.

Very nice areas in your neck of the woods also!

dug

Rain fell today, perfectly on cue.

Not a real gully washer but a prelude of things to come. We always get at least a few monster sized rainstorms this time of year and oftentimes there are many. My favorite time of year, especially now.

It was pleasant, with my preferred cold beverage in hand just relaxing inside our future home and listening to the rain pelt the metal. I could hardly hear it hitting the main portion of the roof, even without insulation, but the noise on the porch was satisfyingly loud. One of my favorite sounds.

I got to thinking about how I am going to do my collar ties, which shamefully remain undone.

I have learned much about collar ties and rafter ties on this forum, Don P being a star contributor of enticing bits of information. So I got to thinking-  A rafter tie checks the downward forces from spreading the walls, and are most effective when located at the lowest possible point on the rafters.

A collar tie prevents the top of the roof from "splitting open like a zipper at the ridge line" (quoted , I think from someone here) from interior pressure forces. So might it be even more effective located higher rather than lower? Seems like it would have the most efficient leverage right at the top.

Maybe it's the cold beverage... [crz]

dug

While visiting family this weekend in Tucson my brother was looking at my page on this site and I noticed that all of the images I posted have about 1/3 of them chopped off, mostly to the right it seems.

I thought it might be his computer somehow so I checked on my moms and found the same thing.

I was hoping some of you could tell me if the pictures are cut off. For instance, on the last photo I posted you should be able to see the entire house with some room to the right. On My brothers screen the house was cut off on the right side.

I am a computer knucklehead, so please be patient. My camera is a digital SLR that produces large files. I export them as medium jpegs to photobucket where they end up at about 80-140 kbs. I have tried some as small jpegs but their dimensions on the computer screen remain the same, they just look grainier.

They load in reasonable time on my computer, and I can see the entire image.
I have a widescreen Mac, could that have anything to do with it?

I'm no photographer, but I did take the time to try and post at least decent photos, so I was a little disappointed to discover this.    :(

rick91351

Dug on the last photo you posted I see some junipers to the right hand side of the screen my be a fifth of the screen.  Two fifths on the left hand side.  Photo seems to be well composed.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dug

That's the way it should be, I wonder why they only partially show up on my brother and moms computer? ???

rick91351

1. They are family and trying to be difficult.   ;D

2. They set you up  ;D

3. My computer is magic  :D
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.