0 (0%)
3-5
1 (14.3%)
5+
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: November 05, 2011, 05:38:34 PM

sparks

I must be a bit isolated. I know 2 people that are laid off/unemployed. And both of them are making a little cash on the side.

According to the Govt figures I should know anywhere from 9 to 14 percent of all my acquaintences as on the unemployed list.

Guess I have a small circle of friends and relatives.

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

StinkerBell

I only know personally about 2. My neighbor said it best.

When your neighbor is unemployed is is a recession but when you are unemployed it is a depression.

sparks

Most of my neighbors are retired business folk or professional types.

I believe that myself and about three other guys are still working.

Yep, paying taxes, contributing to social security, medicare, etc

Great life.......If you don't weaken.

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

NM_Shooter

I know too many.  The company that I used to work for just closed and kicked 51 people to the curb.  I think 15 of them have found employment.  These are high functioning / well compensated engineer types, and I suspect that some will either have to move or will face a bit of an extended unemployment. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

TheWire

NM_Shooter what kind of engineers?  We have a hard time finding good electrical/control engineers.

muldoon

I think it depends on the demographics of the people you know. 

Take a look at the employment report done in March 2011, specifically the chart on page 2. 
http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/econ-sec/fs220-employment.pdf

For the age group of 16-24, the unemployment rate is 17% while for the age group of 25-54 it is just under 8% with 55+ being 6.5%. 

If you are surrounded by people not hardest hit you might not see the problem as others do.  Everything in life is about perspective.