Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Progressing with the deck. I'm enjoying this work quite a bit. Not too fancy but it's quite solid under foot. Very nice to walk on. I dug the rock out of a nearby dry creek bed. Framing is 2x6 decking is 2x8. All pressure treated and nailed with 16d hot dipped galvanized and zmax hangers. The lumber is very wet still.

John Raabe

Nice deck details - practical and handsome.  ;)

This place is getting to have a kind of Zen feel to it. (Whatever that is?)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ScottA

Thanks John. I'm shooting for harmony with the site. Thats kinda like zen I guess.  ???

Sassy

Yes, it really is looking good  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Now were getting into zen, eh?  I'll be sure to not let my karma run over your dogma.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I'm rereading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

It has a very powerful philosophical message about "quality" or aesthetic choices. This is especially important to me as I've always rebelled against the egotistical, taste-maker, I-know-better-than-you attitude of my architectural education. Yet none of us can build anything without it having a sense of style or quality.

You can't NOT have a style. The grunge rock movement found this out. Wearing old grubby clothes and not attending to personal hygiene was just as much a style as the blow-dried hair and bell-bottoms that had preceded it.

The zen of quality is elusive but, in building, it has something to do with an unself-centered attention and appreciation of the materials and the setting in which we build.

Maybe I'll be able to come up with a better understanding and statement of that when I finish the book. ;)

At any rate, Scott is onto something here and it has something to do with a certain quality...

gandalfthegrey

And plese don't let your feng   shui    [slap]
Bad Wolf

glenn kangiser

Somehow the rocks supporting the deck do seem very appropriate. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I really like the wall treatment. I know it is temporary and meant to be a rain screen for the siding.

Yet, it has its own finished look and is an honest practical solution.

Consider:
• It is quick, easy and inexpensive to put up 15# or 30# building felt over the structural sheathing.
• Vertical battens protect this new "siding" from it's main enemy, wind.
• Battens provide the standoff for drainage behind future upgrades to the siding.
• Should it take 10 years to get around to the upgrade, battens can be pulled and fresh felt redone with little extra expense or work.

This could be the lazy man's zen siding. :D

glenn kangiser

I wonder if it would hold a good coat of paint?

Scott would be almost done.

ScottA

Interesting comments. Glen my wife insists I finish the siding so painting the felt is out. During the design process I looked at thousands of house photos online of nearly every style. The final design has a strong Japanese influence but it also has some northern Europe influences as well. The basic structure shell is really just a modified Victorias cottage without the wing added. It looked easy to build and efficent use of materials. But I also want a sort of holiday home look as well. Like going on some sort of permanent vacation. In the end its just a cabin but one with a slightly unusual and I hope interesting style. Thanks for the kind words.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on June 20, 2008, 12:48:29 PM
Interesting comments. Glen my wife insists I finish the siding so painting the felt is out. During the design process I looked at thousands of house photos online of nearly every style. The final design has a strong Japanese influence but it also has some northern Europe influences as well. The basic structure shell is really just a modified Victorias cottage without the wing added. It looked easy to build and efficent use of materials. But I also want a sort of holiday home look as well. Like going on some sort of permanent vacation. In the end its just a cabin but one with a slightly unusual and I hope interesting style. Thanks for the kind words.

Scott I noticed you are not siding behind the decking material? Are you going to pull up the decking when you side or leave it that way? Not being picky but tring to figure how you are going to weather in the wall along the edge of the deck behind the wood joists, beams and deck boards. Maybe it is just the angle of the camera taking the picture and the deck is below the felt? Mark

ScottA

I think I understand your question. The felt goes all the way down the wall to about 1" below the deck. There is a layer of 8" wide galvanized metal and 2 layers of #30 felt there. If that won't weather it in nothing will. The deck wood will shield the felt from the sun. Siding does not weather proof the wall the felt does. The deck is actually below the wall and floor and is attached to the foundation beams of the house. Siding will start at the top of the deck. The deck boards are spaced away from the house 3/4" to allow water to drain out below.

ScottA

Another pic. Can you tell I'm having fun with this deck? If you look by the tree in the foreground you can see the Oklahoma shaped rock I found when I was digging out the deck stones. Cost to date just passed $5k this week.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on June 20, 2008, 03:25:30 PM
I think I understand your question. The felt goes all the way down the wall to about 1" below the deck. There is a layer of 8" wide galvanized metal and 2 layers of #30 felt there. If that won't weather it in nothing will. The deck wood will shield the felt from the sun. Siding does not weather proof the wall the felt does. The deck is actually below the wall and floor and is attached to the foundation beams of the house. Siding will start at the top of the deck. The deck boards are spaced away from the house 3/4" to allow water to drain out below.
OK I see what your doing now. I thought the felt was on the wall and the deck was also up the wall some. Is that 5K for the total project or just the deck part? Mark

ScottA

That's total cost of building materials for everything. I've spent about $600 on the deck so far. I haven't included fuel yet which I guess I should but I doubt it's over a couple of hundred since I try to buy lumber on my regular trips to town. The cabin is only a 1/4 mile from my house so not much fuel use there.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on June 20, 2008, 06:28:10 PM
That's total cost of building materials for everything. I've spent about $600 on the deck so far. I haven't included fuel yet which I guess I should but I doubt it's over a couple of hundred since I try to buy lumber on my regular trips to town. The cabin is only a 1/4 mile from my house so not much fuel use there.
Well mine is around 165 miles round trip and that 1 ton only gets 10 MPG down hill! You got some good prices on your wood!!!! The next one I build I am going to design it myself to make maxium use of the wood to cut down on waste just to split up roofs ect. That Rhino Decking is big bucks for a deck next time it will be wood and low to the ground. Mark

apaknad

hi scott,

nice job so far. i would love to see a price list on your building materials as the cost so far seems very reasonable and can maybe help others to keep costs down (read me ;D).
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on June 20, 2008, 06:28:10 PM
I went just thru my reciets and not including any wood other than for the sofets wood covering, rear deck and some cedar trim it was $4,580.00 total. This amount was for the complete rear deck, front porch planks, complete metal roof, all doors(and handles), all windows, cedar trim and paint. I think you will see yours go up when you do your doors, windows, trim and paint. These things seem to add up fast. I remember my framing package being cheap and plywood was only $980.00 but after a while it seems to snowball and add up quick. Mark

ScottA

Oh I expect it will go up alot. My budget is $15k for the total project so I'm only 1/3 done.

I'd have to go thru all the recipts to get a price list together but I can give some examples.

2x4x104 5/8 stud- $1.99
4x8 sheet 7/16 OSB- $5.35
2x6x16'- $8.00
2x8x10' treated- $8.39

Something to watch out for when shopping for lumber is price per foot for various lengths. The longest lengths are not always the cheapest per foot. For example a 2x6x10' treated is $5.79 a 2x6x12' treated is $8.55 and a 2x6x16' is $12.00 as you can see buying the wrong length will cost you more. The 10' board is the best value so when possible I used shorter boards. On the other hand the best price I got on 2x4 lumber other than studs was on 20' lengths for $5.19. I compared prices among several stores before each major purchace.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on June 21, 2008, 09:59:44 AM
Oh I expect it will go up alot. My budget is $15k for the total project so I'm only 1/3 done.

I'd have to go thru all the recipts to get a price list together but I can give some examples.

2x4x104 5/8 stud- $1.99
4x8 sheet 7/16 OSB- $5.35
2x6x16'- $8.00
2x8x10' treated- $8.39

Something to watch out for when shopping for lumber is price per foot for various lengths. The longest lengths are not always the cheapest per foot. For example a 2x6x10' treated is $5.79 a 2x6x12' treated is $8.55 and a 2x6x16' is $12.00 as you can see buying the wrong length will cost you more. The 10' board is the best value so when possible I used shorter boards. On the other hand the best price I got on 2x4 lumber other than studs was on 20' lengths for $5.19. I compared prices among several stores before each major purchace.
Your right on the cost per foot! That is one of the reasons my costs went up fast. I was buying 16 ft material when I needed 14 ft 2x10 rafters so no ends would have any splits. This made sure I would allways have good ends to work with. On my tall walls I used full length wood and 14 ft 2x6s start to add up. I allways tried to make all my plates full length and no breaks in them. All my floor joists were full length 18 ft and I could have made them 10 ft instead. I was going to sell my cabin with out any wall board up. My framing lumber had to look as good as trim wood, no way to hide any sins under sheet rock. All cuts had to fit perfect and no splits in the rafter tails or bird mouths. So each board was hand picked by me and there is a lot of select and #1s. Sometimes I would go thru 10 boards to get 1 real good one. Guess I am glad I did because a guy out of Canada who is a builder is buying my cabin. He said he liked being able to see the framing. His whole family if flying in to Oroville for me to pick up and take there. He is in love with it and is a avid hunter and fisherman. He said he will wrap it up the way he wants and it was just want he dreamed about getting. So it looks like another cabin is in the works for next spring! Mark 

glenn kangiser

That's great news on your cabin, Mark.

Thanks for the pricing info, Scott -- people  are always wondering and that stuff always helps.

Redoverfarm

Well everybody has me beat.  I have more in the log shells than everyone else has in their completed rough framed cabin.  I did get a good price on my lumber for the framed portion, rafters and the like.  But I guess if you want nostalgia you have to pay for it huh. I have never added my receipts up yet.  Really no need at his point.  You have to get it finished irregardless.  So in the end I will try to figure out if I built it as cheap as the original owners did. Right. ;)

ScottA

Mark that's great. I'm glad you found a buyer so quick. John those logs are rare and are bound to cost. Chestnut? I don't think they even make those anymore. I bet it's better quality than the original cabins where. You got a 100+ year place there for sure. If I'm lucky mine will last for 50.

Redoverfarm

None are Chestnut.  Wish they were.  Some were made with Chestnut but these are just Oak and one Black Walnut log (replaced sill log).   I really got a deal on these two cabins. Both were less than 10K which normally the small cabine 12 X 14 would have been that much. 

Talked to a friend the other day who said that there is a new developement going in at Hot Springs, VA ( Home of Sam Snead) in which they are mating the log to new construction.  Probably 2500-3500 sq ft.  Main part is log. They set it up on a time share deal with 10 buyers. 175K for ($1.7m total) each siting on 1 ac lot.  So I figure mine is 18 miles from there' I should get at least 20K for mine. ;)