HF drill press?

Started by firefox, February 21, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

Has anyone bought one of these? Good, Bad, notes?
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

hpinson

In the continuum of good < > bad how about "OK"...  Not utter crap, and at least they honor their warrenty. A Delta or something of a bit higher quality is certainly better put together and will have a bit more precision if you need that. And maybe not that much more expensive. You get what you pay for but that said, I love my HF bandsaw. Took a little tinkering to sort though.

firefox

Thanks, That's the answer I was looking for.
I figure that for $60 I can't go too far wrong.
I just need it for little jobs that come up from time to time
that don't require precision but things are easier to assemble
if the holes are perpendicular and on target.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Windpower

This got me to thinking (always dangerous)

I bought one today -- I will put it in the garage shop and I won't have to walk all the way out to the big shop (~75 yards) to drill a couple holes -- should save many miles over the years

and it even works

I read the fine print on the $59 coupon and it applied to 3 different models --I got the one with the light and a bit larger motor

[cool]

thanks for the thought
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Don_P

Kind of off topic, I have a floor model Woodtek (woodworkers supply tiawan stuff) that has served me well as drill press and hollow chisel mortiser. I'm not thrilled with the depth stop but it's passable.

Anyway, to the point, the handles are on the right, as they have been on every drill press I've ever used that I remember. I was looking mine over and there is no way to switch it. Anyone know of a left hand drill press?

MountainDon

JET makes at least one that has the ability to mount the feed handle on left or right side. At around $600 it is in a different class than the HF. JET does makes nice stuff though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have had a few different HF drill presses over the years.  All of them worked reasonably well.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.