Look Ma, No Lead

Started by peternap, September 26, 2011, 04:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I've been playing with lead alternatives for a while now. I've made zinc shot and bullets, turned solid copper slugs for the 730 DDR and developed plastjackets that I've even filled with concrete.

For the new 270, I'm going to try Barnes TSX copper bullets, 130 gr. according to Barnes, they expand better on thin skinned game than other bullets, and retain 100% of their weight. They're supposed to be fly killing accurate.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Gary O

peternap
I'm not a hunter, but if I was, I'd have self-loads for sure.
Have you ever experimented with solder slag from circuit board mfgs?
The traditional lead solder has been replaced with RoHS (lead free) and is readily available for zero dollars, as recycling it costs them money.
I do fish, and solder slag has been great for weights, if I'm not using slinkies (chute cord and shot).
Gary O'
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

peternap

I've had some time to play with the Weatherby and the TSX bullets now and have come to some conclusions.

It's as well made as Weatherbys have ever been and is as accurate as any sporter can expect to be. Certainly more so than my Model 77 and the equal or better than any of my 700's my pre 64 70. In other words, it is nice.

The TSX bullets are scary accurate.

Now the bad news. As accurate as the bullets are, they are still monolithic. They expand very well but retain all their weight and just punch through. On heavy game like Elk they should be great but on Whitetails I'm afraid I'd be chasing a lot of them. Barnes does suggest a lighter bullet for thin skinned game but I jut don't want to go lighter than 130 grain in my 270. The magic 130 grainers are what make that caliber great.

Back to older technology I guess but it's too late in the year to set up to swage bullets for this gun.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Gary O

Peter
It appears that you are quite the studied marksman.
I have a question, as I'm flirting with taking up the ol' 270 and getting it ready for one of the white tails that roam our meadow....been a few decades........
In sighting a rifle/scope, is the two shot method a good one IYO?
Adjust your cross hairs to where your first round hit, being sure to keep your rifle secure (not moving).
Then again aim at the bull's eye for the 2nd shot.
If not, what's the best method?

Be gentle, I'm just getting re-started, and having conquered the broad side of most barns, am ready to take a step forward........

peternap

That method works fine and is less guess than what I do, so give it a try. I would suggest that after getting on the paper, try a few different types of ammo to see what your rifle likes best, than do a final zero.

Gary O

Thank you Peter
Serious ammo is quite expensive, and can run thru a wallet full of bills just fiddlin' around.
Keep yer powder dry
Gary O'

rick91351

130 gr. bullets and 270's sort of go hand in hand.  But you might pick up a box of 110 gr. Sierra bullets or Barnes.  Pretty cool for varmints and I would bet good for White Tail.  They are too light for Mule Deer around here.  As we most times have to reach out there longer and still carry a punch.  But I have not loaded for my 270 in years.  But I think I am going to start again just as soon as I retire and have time to seriously work up some loads and seriously shoot on a regular basis.  The range to like a mile from my house!!  Up at the ranch there is a nice open hillside by the shop that would be prime for a bench.  I have measured out 100 and 200 yards 300 would be easy enough but might need a little work.

If you do pick up some Barnes 110 gr. let me know how they do.           
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Bob S.

If you hang a old anvil from a tree with a chain about 5' long it makes the coolest long range target you will ever see. At about 400 yards you can hear it ring if you hit it.