We bought a truck! :D

Started by OlJarhead, July 07, 2011, 12:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

My wife and I decided, after riding in the aging XJ for most of the 500 miles round trip last weekend without AC, to buy a truck to make life as land owners and cabin builders easier on us :)

So we went looking, and looking and finally found a Ford F150 Super Crew cab 4x4 with 44k miles on it, $5k under Kelly Blue Book in super shape :D  We traded her van (no way I'd let the XJ go!  It just needs some TLC and a van, is well, a van man!) and got KBB on it!  We were pretty happy to ditch the van which gets about the same mileage as the truck, so no change there, but didn't have the payload capacity or 4 wheel drive.

So ya, we're pretty darn stoked and the new cabin trip picks will start to include our Maroon and Gray F150 :D

Now it's time to take it for a spin me thinks :) and plan the next trip in which we will ride in comfort without needed a trailer to haul gear! :D

Don't get me wrong though, we love the Jeep and with 250,000 miles on the clock it gets the nod to stay home and the van got kicked to the curb :D

glenn kangiser

Congrats on the new baby, OJ.  [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Texas Tornado

And just where is the pic???
(I have a Ford truck as well  ;D although the hubby says it is his  :( and the SUV is mine  :o8)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Texas Tornado on July 07, 2011, 04:32:10 PM
And just where is the pic???
(I have a Ford truck as well  ;D although the hubby says it is his  :( and the SUV is mine  :o8)

I'll have to get some taken!  My wife thinks it's hers too but that's ok as long as I get to drive it to the cabin every other week ;)

OlJarhead

Took this picture this morning on my way to work with my Droid.  Funny thing is that older truck of the neighbors looks SO small in comparison but SOME of that is illusion (it is bigger though).

We love the truck and I can't wait to start hauling stuff to the cabin!

Aidzee

Nice! And congrats! I love my 2003 F-150 Supercrew with 215,000 (133,600 miles)trouble free kilometres on it.

Native_NM

I own a 2010 F150 SC 4x4. Just hit 10,000 miles last weekend.  We like everything about it.  I wish I had waited for the 2011 and the Eco-boost engine, but I'm happy.

If there is any downside, the 66" bed is too short for serious hauling, and it's too nice to beat the crud out of. But they are a really cool station wagon for those with kids and dogs and camping stuff. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Windpower

Nice looking truck OlJ !

I like Fords in general even though the white beast (F250 6.0 L Diesel) has been a money pit

It just got back from the 'hospital'  they pulled the leaking EGR cooler and fixed some wiring problems

I drove it almost 70 miles before it overheated and blew out all the coolant because they forgot to put the clamp back on a coolant line -- not too happy after dumping another 3 large into this 6.0 diesel from hell.

hopefully it will go another 111,000 miles
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

StinkerBell

OlJarhead

Funny, I had it in my head this F150 had the 4.6l Triton in it....yet right on the side is a plaque that clearly says 5.4Triton!  DOH!  Funny how something so obvious can escape you.

Anyway, after 2 months with the truck we're pretty darn happy!  5.4l V8 that gets 17.5mpg on the hiway empty and got 13mpg pulling our tent trailer (that's better then the 12mpg my buddies Dodge 2500 gets pulling an empty trailer!)...

Very comfy, quiet, powerful and easy to drive the 250 miles we drive to the cabin.

Now, the wife wants me to buy my own truck! hahahaha LOL she has laid claim to this one now.

NM_Shooter

400 miles away from 200k   ;D

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Gary O

Nicely done, OJ.

Hard to let go of Jeeps.
I know.
Can't
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gary O on October 01, 2011, 08:26:54 PM
Nicely done, OJ.

Hard to let go of Jeeps.
I know.
Can't

:)  And I won't!

Gary O

Our cabin is also 250 mi, and the Wrangler with trailer ain't the ride one anticipates with glee.
But that stump jumper is more me than me.
I think it's going to out-live my stay here on earth...at least that's my plan.
Love the look of your new rig, OJ.
Enjoy
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

RIjake

Nice truck OJ, I'm an old Ford man that has switched to Toyota (a long story) anyway, I like the yellow pop-up trailer too!

OlJarhead

Quote from: RIjake on October 02, 2011, 08:02:11 AM
Nice truck OJ, I'm an old Ford man that has switched to Toyota (a long story) anyway, I like the yellow pop-up trailer too!

Ya we love the Evo1 trailer!  It has as much (or more) lift as my Jeep does and can sleep 5-6 in a pinch (using the bed on the table for a couple of kids).

We used to do a fair amount of camping before buying the land and building the cabin so we use the trailer a lot less these days.

The XJ has ~3.5" of lift using the OME 3" lift and an extra leaf in the rear (mainspring leaf from a '98 XJ -- something the XJ Extremers in Seattle suggested I do for towing as the OME lift was too soft for towing).  4.10:1 Gearing, Banks Header, Flow Masters, Rusty's Offroad TB spacer and cold air intake (with K&N), Rusty's Offroad Flares, Customer rear bumper with built in trailer hitch receiver, Mastercraft Seat, rebuilt top end, Hypertech Tuning, 3 core rad, new waterpump, fan clutch, relay and a whole bunch of other goodies (like Galaxy 959 Peak and Tuned CB w/SSB and 3/4 wave Firestick Antenna).  With 250k miles on it though, it just doesn't seem to like towing so much anymore and I suspect needs some TLC.  It also needs a new T-Case chain and some radiator work (stripped tranny cooler fitting).

All in all, however, I love the XJ and I don't plan on getting rid of it until the mains go ;)