Re: 14' walls in the 20x30 ... or 36 ?

Started by glenn-k, November 30, 2005, 03:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Re: 14' walls in the 20x30 ... or 36 ?

on Today at 11:47am, hnash53 wrote:
Can I build 14' walls (2x6) so that the loft will have 6' walls?

What do you think?

I am copying this to the new forum so John will fiind it sooner - Glenn

jraabe

Balloon framing could go that high — you would probably have to get finger jointed studs. I also expect you would not have bowing problems as long as you stabilized the wall and tied in the second floor with a ledger or overlapping of joists and studs.

Many building departments limit the height of an unsupported wall to 12' without engineering or additional bracing so going "cathedral" with such a wall might involve working with the engineer. However, you could probably use the exposed "timber beam" ties at 4' that I show in the plans for any open areas.

hnash53

You mentioned finger-jointed studs... Do you mention them because of the length?

2x6s 14' long are common.  Can't I use them as my wall studs?

I would think that spacing 2x6s at 16" oc instead at 24" oc (and include blocking for additional strength and a fireblock), and then using the 20' beams at 4' oc would be strong enough to tie the unsupported walls together.

Yes?

Thanks.

Hal

Jimmy_Cason

I have found out in my short time of building, The longer the board the harder it is to find one that is not warped,bowed or twisted. I would think the finger jointed might help this.

jraabe

Yes, if you tie the walls together at 4' intervals with a tension member this is well within historical practice (and most prescriptive codes). I don't think you would need to go 16" o/c for the studs but you sure could and it would stiffen the walls slightly.

Jared

What, exactlty, are finger jointed studs? I wasn't aware that studs came in 14'lengths. Sounds like a winner to me.
Jared

bartholomew

Finger jointed lumber is made by gluing short pieces end to end. The glue joints are very strong, but the lumber may be stamped for vertical (i.e. stud) use only. Here's a picture from http://www.cwc.ca/products/lumber/finger_joined/index.php...

I've seen 14 foot studs in my area before but the local Home Depot didn't have them last time I checked.