7 lies in under 2 minutes

Started by Abbynrml, January 13, 2010, 01:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbynrml

fishing_guy

Did you really expect anything different?
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

Not to defend Obama, but here is the quote from Justice Brandeis...

The quote is from an article the Justice wrote titled, "Other People's Money". It appeared in a 1913 Harper's Weekly article'
It is the lead line in Chapter Five.    http://www.law.louisville.edu/library/collections/brandeis/node/196

"Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman. "

So what if Obama did not use the exact words?   :-\

... first page of the article...  http://www.law.louisville.edu/library/collections/brandeis/node/191
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MushCreek

Obviously, he needs to learn to talk faster.....
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Abbynrml

I do not expect anything but lies from any politician anymore.
It seems to me everyone of them are liars.
I personaly would like to see every elected official in the country tarred, feathered and chased out of the country, and never allowed to return!
As for the people that jump up to replace them, do the same. They are probally just as bad.
I remember a quote from someone in the 70's, can't remember who it was that said it though. They said "As for the Americans, stick a fork in their butt and turn them over, they are done."
I was shocked to hear such a statement about my country. Yet now, many years later, I wonder if they were not correct. It is sad to watch the greatest country ever to go down the toilet.
Our politicians no longer serve the people, only themselves.
I wonder which country will become the next world leader, it looks to me like our turn is over. Sad isn't it?

fishing_guy

"So what if Obama did not use the exact words?   Undecided "

MD,

This is where I have to disagree with you.  If you are going to quote somebody, quote them.  Otherwise, you are paraphrasing them, which means that you are replacing some of their words with your own.

Maybe this is a minor point, and most of the time it doesn't make a difference, but by not making the distinction, it leads to that slippery slope we talk so much about.

Was it a lie, I would have to agree it wasn't.  Was Obama treading that slippery slope?

It brings to mind one of our previous president's use of the english language:

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."

Words have meaning, and if you are going to quote someone, you had better use their own words.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

I agree that if you are going to use a quotation then it should be quoted with 100% accuracy. My point is my criticism is twofold. First, in this case the misquote doesn't necessarily make Obama a liar. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is that two "errors" do not make a right.

By that I mean, when I discover someone, be it a politician or a politician's critic stating, "That's not what Brandeis said", implying a lie, and I know or determine they have stretched the truth, or lie, for the purposes of their own agenda, then everything that comes out of that persons mouth, pen or video camera is suspect. At least, that what happens in my mind. Even if everything else is the unvarnished truth tactics like that simply have a great negative effect on me. Don't know if that's good or bad or even makes sense; that's the way I perceive things.

So yes, Obama should have used the correct quotation, but his paraphrase did not make him a liar in the sense of what he was trying to convey. I believe the greater misdeed was by Theo Sparks.

And remember, I am NOT a follower of Obama.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

I'll agree that the greater transgression was done by calling Obama a liar for misquoting someone.  At my age, I mess up the quotations now and again also.  Thank goodness there are places to look those things up.

Abbynrml

I would agree with that also. So perhaps the title should be 6 1/2 lies.
Still bad, but what does one expect from a politician?

ScottA

Don't worry, before it's all over history will show alot more than 7 Lies.

fishing_guy

Thanks Stink...
Just spent the last 30 minutes watching Fleetwood Mac on youtube... d*