How to treat new construction for termite prevention?

Started by 2zwudz, October 06, 2009, 05:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

How do I treat my new block foundation for termites?  I haven't back filled it yet and was wondering if now would be a good time to treat for termites?

Thanks Mark

n74tg

I've heard that if you dump some boric acid into the open cells in the block and let it fall down to the bottom that will help.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

tc-vt

Mark,

Things I have seen and heard of are termite shields which are flashing strips placed on the foundation top before the plate is bolted down.  The outside edge of the flashing extends passed the outside face of the foundation a couple of inches and is bent at a downward angle toward the ground, like 45 degrees or so, making a down-turned lip.  It is supposed to create a physical barrier over which the termites are unable to crawl.

I have heard recommendations against insulation on the above ground outer face of the foundation which would hide the telltale tunnels the termites make.  With insulation board, they can travel unseen under the insulation board.

Tom

MountainDon

Home builders here will spray the entire lower 3 feet of a new home with some kind of borate solution. They do the walls with the sheathing applied, but before any wrap or inside materials. Homes here are usually on slab.

That's correct on the outside insulation. It provides the perfect space for termites tunnels or whatever they're called, dark and more humid than bare concrete.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.