.41 Ghetto blaster

Started by peternap, May 23, 2009, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I had a chance to shoot a 5 shot group with the BFR and the Ghetto blasters,
While there were some flyers, it's tight enough for me. The Ghetto blaster is a buck and bullet load in either a 444 case or a Brass .410. It is driven with a hefty load of Bullseye powder.

5 shots
25 yards

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Home brew ammo!   [cool] 
How much buck and what size? Behind what bullet? I'm assuming it's behind the bullet.  Dang!  [cool]

So, when you reload 410 brass as a shotshell, what is used to close the /neck/mouth of the case? Some kind of a wad? A cork?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

That's pretty cool.. too bad it was destroyed in a fire.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on May 23, 2009, 09:13:54 PM
Home brew ammo!   [cool] 
How much buck and what size? Behind what bullet? I'm assuming it's behind the bullet.  Dang!  [cool]

So, when you reload 410 brass as a shotshell, what is used to close the /neck/mouth of the case? Some kind of a wad? A cork?

There's a long story behind it Don, but here is the readers digest version.

I fell in love with the BFR as soon as I got it. It is simply the most versatile handgun I've ever owned. It is in 45LC / .410. I got a 45/70 cylinder and played with swaged down bullets...poor accuracy.

The 45lc/410 cylinder is plenty long enough to use a 454 casull case so the idea of a super 45 long colt was already a done deal.

The next step was coming uup with something that was powerful enough for bear (in a pinch) people and could fire in the gun with the choke in. You could fire it in an emergency, with the 45;s, but it swages the choke and damages it.

The natural answer is 410 buckshot, which works very well.

Then I started looking for a more durable 410 case. People have been using 444 cases for 410 since they first came out and that's what I used to develop the Ghettoblaster.

Multi projectile loads have been around for a long time. The old buck and ball loads in the revolutionary war muskets are a good example. Modern versions come in a lot of shapes and some handgun bullets are cast as a bullet sliced into smaller pieces. I used that idea and just used round buck for the base of the bullet

Anyway...using a 175 grain cast .40 SWC, bumped to .411 with 3-000 buck under it, a fiber wad cut from thin gasket material as an over powder wad (Not really needed but keeps everything tidy) and Bullseye powder.

The bullet gets crimped holding the rest in.

At the last gunshow I couldn't find 444 cases but did find some brass 410 cases. Yesterday was my first batch with the brass 410's.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Oh...there's a side issue Don. The palsy that's been playing havoc with my photos has had the same effect on my shooting. The shot cartridges help overcome this. I shot my 45 ACP some yesterday and am ashamed to put the targets up. Used to be that a magazine produced a half dollar group at 25 yards. Now it's pie plate size.