$200 Solar panel???

Started by John_M, March 11, 2009, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Came across this website....do you think it seems legit??

http://www.earth4energy.com/index.php
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MountainDon

I've seen that website before. I'll give you some of my thoughts.

Before getting into solar or wind specifics, the first thing that bothers me about this site is this sentence of his... "I'm going to help YOU reduce your power bill by 80% or even eliminate it completely." coupled with the sentence... "Why pay $1000's for solar or wind power when you can build your own
professional system for less than $200?!"
. And I'll toss this sentence in also... "You will save hundreds of dollars every time you get your power bill!"

Unless you are a hermit with nothing more than a couple of light bulbs, $200 is not going to make you energy independent or even nearly so, and $200 is not going to reduce your power bill by hundreds of dollars unless the bill comes once a decade.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

You can buy unmounted solar cells on ebay and probably other places as well. You can solder them all together to make an array. You can do all that stuff, I have no argument with that. But you are going to need more than $200 worth of bare cells to make any dent in the average homeowners electric bill.  I believe the web site owners claims are extravagant to say the least.

I don't know all that much about wind, but my research has shown that you need more than just a little bit of wind to make any appreciable amount of power. The best systems with scientifically designed blades need 5 - 7 mph to begin turning; higher if the power output is to be useful. Homemade blades would likely not be as efficient.

His $200 figure could not possibly begin to include even one battery, and to be useful you need more than that.

I don't want to be too hard on the guy, but if you asked me for a one word descriptor, the word charlatan comes to mind. 
http://dictionary.babylon.com/charlatan
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

I have seen a few sites very similiar to this one.  I'll save you the suspense.  his homeade panel is a series of solar cells you buy off ebay and wire up.   The return on it is very minor, and wont be saving you thousands. 

Google ebay make solar panel from cells .. 
first hit for me. 
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/how-to-make-diy-cheap-inexpensive-solar-panels-ebay.php
this is a site I have seen before, http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html he gives alot of the same info away for free. 

The same information is available for free at dozens of places.  But as Don said, you wont be saving the hundreds you may think.  Read up on the second link, he's getting a whole 60 watts from that panel.  Yes, 60 watts is 60 watts and something is better than nothing.  But it might power a lightbulb for 2-3 hours a night, thats not going to save you thousands. 

When properly approached, energy is nothing less than a math problem.  You can reduce what you need (through efficiency, self sacrifice, investments), but what you need is what you need.  To meet that you must be able to store that amount plus some buffer.   Like all good math or science problems, there is no free lunch.   

pagan

I especially enjoyed how he'll share his secrets for acquiring "free" batteries. A friend of mine is living with a woman whose ex-husband actually did acquire batteries for free, well, technically he stole them.

Back in the late seventies or early eightees he drove by a rail road yard and saw a large stack of batteries behind a building. After some inquiring he found out these were batteries used on the trains and they were being discarded. He asked if he could take a few and was told no. After bringing up they were going to be destroyed and the rail yard was paying for the disposal he was told that the yard closed at five and the batteries were in an unsecured area. There were no security cameras or roving patrols and nobody really knew how many batteries were out there so if some went "missing" nobody would know. He went back that night and took thirty batteries. I think they were nickle/iron and my friend said they could be restored with a flushing of lemon juice or something like that, I had consumed copius quantities of beer and my memory might not be 100%.

Other than this story, I know of nobody who has acquired usable batteries for free.

MountainDon

Depends on one's definition of usable. Many batteries that are in use for mission critical backup situations are replaced on a calendar basis, rather than on a loss of function basis. I do that myself with my motor vehicle batteries. After 5 years I replace the Optima's in the Jeep. After 4 years I replace the regular lead acid batteries in the car. I use them as core exchanges. Sometimes those used but good batteries might be free; other times they are recycled through firms that specialize in used batteries. hnash53 got a bunch of AGM's that way I believe.

But yeah you're right; today there shouldn't be much in the way of totally free batteries. They are too valubale to recycle.

Glenn, got some free L16's that need rejuvenating. He's working on that.

pagan

As far as the free batteries go, is it really worth the effort to attempt recovering them or is it better to buy new? I know this is subjective, but I just wonder how much useful life would be in a used battery, especially if it wasn't properly maintained.

glenn kangiser

I've seen the site too.  I am not real impressed and there are better things to do than sit and solder hundreds of little solar cells together.  That is like trying to invent a car from scratch.

See the off grid thoughts for the rest of the story on recovering the batteries - slowly seems to be a success - value - near $3000.

Possibly 10 more years or more especially with good quality batteries. 

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

pagan

I've been reading your other posts on recovering batteries, Glenn, and it's excellent information. Thanks for sharing.

glenn kangiser

My pleasure.

I fixed an electrical problem for the concrete company on a truck last night - he was shut down until it was fixed - took me less than half an hour to trace it out to a wire inserted in place of a fuse by some backwoods mechanic.  It was buried under a wire loom. 

He is under the impression that not everyone knows this stuff. d* 

I don't mind helping those who will use the knowledge gained to help themselves and others. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.